How long does it take to train for a triathlon?

Options
Hey, triathletes! My fitness goal for the year is to complete a triathlon (I'm not concerned about my time). Previously, I have only completed 5K races. Currently, my workouts tend to be 5-lb weights and cardio (running) a few times a week, but I plan on amping that up to include biking and swimming. My legs are fairly strong and biking is a strong point for me, although I do have a mountain bike, so my speed won't be comparable to road bikes.

My biggest concern is that I am not a strong swimmer at all, so I have a lot of training to do on improving my breast stroke.

Is completing a triathlon in August a realistic goal? What recommendations do you have for a triathlon training plan? I currently do not have a gym membership, though I can get one if it's necessary to train.

Edited to add: Because I'm a total beginner, I would be doing what appears to be the shortest: the "super sprint," which is 375m swim, 10K bike, 2.5K run. That is, unless it is realistic to train for the "sprint," which is 750m swim, 22K bike, and 5K run (probably not for this year).

Replies

• heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi Girlrose, good choice of sport :-)

To answer the question really depends on the distance you're intending on doing? a 'try a tri' may be as little as 500m swim, 10km bike, 5km run, and with this in mind, I'd say that with any basic level of fitness you could enter and finish without issue.

If you're intending on moving more to a sprint, olympic or iron distance, then you've got some work cut out, and depending on the distance will determine the way you train. For example, training for a sprint will be no good for iron distance.

As a guide, however, olympic distance from total beginner to race, with sustained and determined effort (i.e. exercising every other day with a big run/ride on weekend) will be achievable in around 9 months.

Half iron might be as long as 2-3 years, full iron you're looking 3-5 years.

Happy to provide further input, but really I'll suggest that if you're looking at the longer distance events, you'd be best to get in with a tri specific club. cycling/running clubs simply wont train you correctly for the task ahead.
  • Girlrose
    Girlrose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I edited my original response, but I was thinking of doing the super sprint or sprint distance, if that's a realistic goal. I feel optimistic about the super sprint by working at my current fitness level. Perhaps I could make a sprint my goal for 2015. :-)

I will look into finding tri training clubs around my city (Chicago). Thanks again!
  • heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Woop woop, sprints for the win! :-)

So the things I'd work on:
    1. Know your course. If the swim is in ocean, you need to become comfortable in the sea. Depending on the water temp at that time of year, you may be able to wear a wetsuit (think its below 24 degrees? anything above and no neoprene allowed).

2. Gear your cycling/running to that of the course profile (i.e. x km distance with y m elevation) and train an equivalent course profile.

3. Get used to doing 'bricks'. A brick is a series of training exercises which cover transitions. Get used to jelly legs when hitting the run. Embrace the pain. :-)

4. Get fast. Its a given that if you intend to do the race on your mtb, you wont hit any course records, but that doesnt mean you should come last. The run is often the most overlooked element of the race, yet is the bit which really tests people (they go too hard on the bike).

5. Practice. If you know that August is your A race, then get a bit of practice in with some minor/cheap events prior to, so that you can iron out any dramas (how to spot your bike from the swim when there are a few thousand racked up...for example).

6. If you use a heart rate monitor, expect to spend much of your time in zones 3-4. Thus, train appropriately with HIIT exercises.

Hope this helps!
  • Girlrose
    Options
    This was incredibly helpful. Thanks so much for taking the time to give me some excellent pointers!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    You said you need to improve your breast stroke. While breast stroke is allowed it's a LOT slower than frontcrawl- also called "freestyle". Get a good instructor and learn the crawl and it's faster and more efficient.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If you are planning a triathlon in August, sign up for swim lessons now with a coach and let him/her know that you are training for a triathlon.

If it is open-water swimming for the triathlon, be sure to practice that ahead of time. Open water is a lot different when you don't have the line at the bottom of the pool and you have to swim toward a buoy. Find a "splash and dash" race in the area as a practice where you swim and run. It will get you used to swimming with people right next to you. If you use a wetsuit, that will let you practice.

On race day, make sure you know where your stuff is from each transition entrance. The transition area looks a lot different from the water side than the bike side. Nothing is more frustrating than being unable to find your stuff.

Have fun! Its a great feeling when you have completed a triathlon.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Way back when I was fit, I saw an ad for a local triathlon. My sister, a swimmer, and I joked we should do it as a team (didn't know we could at that time). I was a runner and in good shape at the time. That same week my running magazine came with an article with a 12 week program to finish a sprint distance. I decided then that someday I would do one when I was in better shape. It was my goal ever since.
    A few years later after an accident, I was an overweight and out of shape. On my quest to get back in shape, I joined a master swim club in January. I also started running (very slowly) again. I did not know how to properly swim and learned through the group. I could only swim the length of the pool at first.
    Before I knew it this crazy group (most of whom are also triathletes) convinced me to sign up for a July sprint triathlon. I was an average biker, a slow runner and not a great swimmer and I still finished. I was not training hard either, just swimming, biking and running a couple of times a week. I haven't looked back.
    It was so funny to me that I was scared to do it in the best shape of my life but did it when I was pretty much at my worst.
    The best part is, every year I get faster.

You go some great advice above. If it's open water - practice open water! Don't cheap out on a wetsuit. I wen with a cheap Canadian Tire suit not meant for swimming and paid dearly. You can get pretty cheap entry model ones online or rent one.

And when you get in the water, remember - just breathe. It's funny how you forget that but I often spent the first meters calming myself down and focusing on my breathing.

You can stop swimming at any time and rest. You can even grab the paddle board if there is a life guard near you, you just can't move forward while holding on.

I say go for it.

Oh and join as master swim group if you can. And check your area for a local tri club. These people changed my life.

ETA - a swim coach is definitely. But a master club can often be a little more affordable.

Your First Triathlon by Joe Friel is also helpful.

2nd add - I debated the super sprint and the advice to me was to do the sprint. I'm glad I did.

I also finished dead last and didn't care. (The race was extremely small, around 100 total for sprint/Olympic distances)
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think the primary thing for you to focus on is improving your swimming mechanics prior to the race. Swimming is the most technique-intensive of the disciplines and a poor swimming form can not only kill your speed but really tire you out even over a rather modest distance of 300-400 meters. Get in the pool, get a coach and get ready to be addicted.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of time to train for a sprint in August. Check of beginnertriathlete.com. They have free training plans that you can download, and plenty of other helpful info. Also check to see if there are any local tri groups in your area. Sometimes the ymca's will offer some sort of triathlon 101 or training class this time of year.

It would definitely be worthwhile to take a few swim lessons. The swim is the shortest part of the race, but you really want to feel comfortable in the water. It's very common for people to become overwhelmed in the open water, especially with all the other bodies out there.

Include lots of bricks (swim-bike, and especially bike-run) in your training workouts. Running after being on the bike feels very different than just running, so you want to train your legs to get used to that feeling. Even a short 5-10 minute run after your bike training will help.

Practice in the clothing and equipment you plan to wear for the race. You don't want any race day surprises.

Good luck! And enjoy!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hey, triathletes! My fitness goal for the year is to complete a triathlon (I'm not concerned about my time). Previously, I have only completed 5K races. Currently, my workouts tend to be 5-lb weights and cardio (running) a few times a week, but I plan on amping that up to include biking and swimming. My legs are fairly strong and biking is a strong point for me, although I do have a mountain bike, so my speed won't be comparable to road bikes.

My biggest concern is that I am not a strong swimmer at all, so I have a lot of training to do on improving my breast stroke.

Is completing a triathlon in August a realistic goal? What recommendations do you have for a triathlon training plan? I currently do not have a gym membership, though I can get one if it's necessary to train.

Edited to add: Because I'm a total beginner, I would be doing what appears to be the shortest: the "super sprint," which is 375m swim, 10K bike, 2.5K run. That is, unless it is realistic to train for the "sprint," which is 750m swim, 22K bike, and 5K run (probably not for this year).

Welcome to pain. (No, seriously look up something called a brick.)

I was in your shoes last may, and I went from super loser fat guy, to slightly less loser, considerably less fat guy that finished an August sprint tri. ;) So your goal is fully attainable, i'd say go for the full sprint though, that's a doubling of the bike and run distances, and the swim distance would probably just add 125m.

For swimming: Get a coach. No, seriously, get a coach. You won't be breaststroking during the race unless it's to sight briefly. You'll be in the front crawl, and there's form you need to work on that a pro can help you build. This is a great time to work on that swimming base.

For lifting, if it's only 5#, it's safe to just abandon that completely. It's not really doing anything for you anyway except taking time. You'll need to prioritize time and be efficient, 5# weights just aren't that.

So some things you'll want to do:
    Ride, you need tits. (Time in the saddle.)
    Lose as much extra weight as you can, the less you weigh, the less effort it will take to compete as powerfully as possible.
    Go to a site like beginnertriathlete.com and look at their tri training plans. You'll want a good beginner one that combines swim, bike, and run.

For me my strongest event was bike, and my bike ride took 15 minutes longer than I anticipated. Nothing like a hard swim, moving to the bike only to find out that you're just hangdog tired already. Something to keep in mind is that there is a time commitment. This isn't like a 10k fun run, where you can train a few runs and be good to go. There will be days where you swim an hour or two in the morning, and then run or bike in the evening. That said, nothing makes you feel more like a badass than when you finish one. Aside from mountaineering, I can't really think of many other sports that rank so high in the physical commitment to badassery quotient.

There's some specialized workouts you'll want to do, like bricks. However, since this is a sprint, you won't really have to worry about nutrition. A bottle or two of electrolyte drink, and a gu or two and you're good to go for the event.
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    There is plenty of time for you to work on it and it sounds like you are already most of the way there! I am working towards my first sprint tri (5k run, 20k bike and .75k swim) in July, 7 months should be good to work on what I need. I will look over all those other comments of people who have done a tri as well and use what I can to help me.

Good luck to you!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Bumping for tips - I'm also training for my first sprint-tri in June or July - I've run a lot of 5Ks to 5M, but very week swimmer - sounds like I should definitely look into a few classes :-)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    If you have a decent Y near you, it might be a good coaching option. The one I utilized was $16 per half hour session, 1 to 1. They also run the free master's.

The one on one helped a lot, as did a book on total immersion style swimming. Helped cement some concepts about body positioning that helped me a lot. I just wish I got that book before the tri and not after.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Do you want to just complete a triathlon or do you want an impressive finish when you do it? I think that would affect preparation time.
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Girlrose
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the incredible suggestions! It seems like you all think a sprint is doable for me (as opposed to the easier super sprint) and that I should have swim lessons. I completely agree! You guys are awesome. Believe or not, I joined a beginner triathlon website, asked similar questions, and I received only one response. You all have been very helpful, so I'm thankful. Please add me if you've completed a tri or if you have a similar goal! Support helps. :-)
  • Girlrose
    Options
    Do you want to just complete a triathlon or do you want an impressive finish when you do it? I think that would affect preparation time.

I just want to finish. And to hopefully not come in last place.
  • BluesGuitar
    Options
    That is plenty of time for you to compete in a sprint triathlon. One thing that helped me was to join a local triathlon club. They typically have group training sessions with athletes of all levels. The coaches will give you great tips and you will likely meet someone at your same level that you can train with and gauge your progress. Best of luck.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    bump