Loosing weight after a miscarriage

Options
My husband and I recently lost a baby. At almost 12 weeks along, we found out that there was no heartbeat. We tried the medicine that is suppose to help your body pass the miscarriage but it didn't work. Four days later I had to have a D&C. Broke our hearts. I miss being pregnant. It's been a couple of weeks after the procedure but I'm not physically feeling back to normal at all. Lots of pain still and I don't feel up to workout yet, even though I really want to mentally.

Now I am super motivated to get back into being healthy, and maybe trying much later down the road. For right now I want to focus on being healthy and loosing some weight.

Anyone have any tips on getting back into working out and being healthy after a miscarriage and/or D&C?

Replies

• britteliz1
    britteliz1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't have any tips, but I just wanted to sorry I'm sorry for your loss.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I did it after 3 m/c early in the first trimester.
    Take as much time as you need to phyiscally and emotionally heal. Then set a goal of where you would like to be in X amount of time. For me, it was being in a size 16 in 3 months, losing 8 lbs the next month, etc. until I was 152 and found myself pregnant.

Feel free to add me, I battled IF due to obesity for many years (plus lots of IF treatments).
  • jentraveler
    jentraveler Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you the support :)

That's a great idea to have little goals/steps along the way. I would like to loose 5 lbs by the end of January. I am 5'3, currently 172.4, but my utlimate goal would be 150 lbs. Just don't know how to do it that well without being physically back to normal. I guess focus more on the food than the working out.
  • SamanthaAkin
    Options
    First I just wanna say I'm sorry for your loss, I feel your pain. I had 3 miscarriages in 6 months, the last one ended in a D&C and we found out after the D&C that it was twins.
    Take as much time as you feel like you need. I had a hard time with the first 2 by the 3rd i was so mad that all i wanted to do was workout to keep my mind off of everything. Start out slow, go for a walk, watch what you eat. You will know when its time to start a full workout again. I agree with Kelly tho, make small goals to reach the big one.
  • jentraveler
    Options
    Thanks for the support and kind words.

I'm sorry to hear about your losses as well. I could understand how you would feel very mad, it's certainly frustrating.

How long did it take for you to get back into working out? Back to normal?
  • discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say I am so sorry for your loss. I commend you on wanting to get healthy after. When I had mine it was a trigger that started my weight gain.
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    Oh man, so sorry for your loss :(. We have lost a few ourselves and went through IF treatments.

Be kind to yourself. Maybe start with some casual walking to get out of the house and get some fresh air and thinking time.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. I've had a couple and focusing on fitness helped maintain my sanity. I got back into it pretty quickly each time. One thing though - have you checked with your doc about the pain? I assume you meant physical. I had two late first tri d&cs and never had pain beyond the day of. I would check that out to make sure you don't have retained tissue and/or infection.
  • pennynluce
    pennynluce Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just want to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. *hugs*
  • glendathurmond
    glendathurmond Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry for your loss. I suffered several miscarriages and understand the devastation. I have an amazing son who is now 20, and the light of my life. Be easy on yourself and give yourself the time you need. I might also add that sometimes you may have friends, relatives or acquaintances say insensitive things to you because they don't understand. Try to be forgiving if you can.

Watching your diet and exercising will be good medicine for you. I would suggest getting outside and enjoying nature when you can.
    I would be glad to listen or help you achieve your goals.
  • foxgl0ve
    foxgl0ve Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me for ongoing support. I lost two pregnancies this past year, and both times it was very hard to get refocused on my other goals. I found that long walks gave me some quiet time to work through my emotions, so I just did that for exercise until I felt ready to do other things. When I miscarried in the summer I did a lot of kayaking as I found it peaceful slipping quietly through the water and seeing the ocean and the sunshine.
    Also, forgive yourself. Sometimes taking care of yourself can mean giving yourself the time and space you need to grieve and move on. If you are really not ready, give yourself the gift of time, and find some support.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Good luck and I'm sorry for your loss.

Three years ago I found out at our 12 week u/s that I'd had a miscarriage and I was devastated. It took a few weeks for me to feel ok and a normal cycle to feel like things had returned to normal. I did do lots of eating after and I never really dealt with my emotional eating from that and since then I feel like I do that all the time (before was just a day here and there).
  • jentraveler
    Options
    Thank you all so much for all the kind words and support. I truly means alot for complete strangers to reach out and tell their stories. It's much appreciated.

One of the hardest parts about getting back into things is that it's in the dead of winter and I live in northern Minnesota. It's literally -20 right now. I can't even snowshoe or go skiing right now it's cold. The only way I can exercise really at the moment is at the gym....which isn't nearly as appealing as a walk outside or kayaking (which is an amazing suggestion and that sounds like amazing). I hope the weather gets a little warmer so that I can start "enjoying" what I can of winter lol. It is amazing how free air heals the soul.

It's been two weeks after the surgery and this weekend (sat, sun, mon) I was in alot of pain (horrible horrible headache, horrible cramping). It was frustrating to start feeling better for a week, then all of a sudden to go right back in pain and some spotting. I thought something was wrong and I maybe had an infection, but I went into the dr and everything is fine. The dr. thought it may just be my period coming back, which I really think is what happened as the last few days have gone on. I think having it two weeks after was just so so so painful and not a normal period by any means. Most painful period of my life. I've felt good the past day or so now but I just hope it continues. Mentally I'm SOO ready to run off some emotion but I'm definitely not ready physically. Just very very very frustrating. I REALLY want to be back to my physical self, but I'm just trying to take it easy so I can heal.

Thank you again for all your kind words, it means alot. :heart:
  • mat136
    mat136 Posts: 35
    Options
    sorry for your loss
  • fitkate80
    fitkate80 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I"m so sorry for your loss... :( I had a miscarriage at 10 weeks at the end of June. This is around the time my baby should be born. We had seen a healthy baby/heartbeat at 8 week u/s and one just the day before my natural m/c. I've never had D&C, so I have no idea about recovery time. As soon as I stopped having symptoms, I started exercising like hell (30 day shred level 1 - was on youtube free + 45 m. elliptical). I think it was an outlet for my grief/anger. It lasted about 3 months and then I felt extremely tired and just stopped altogether. I'd recommend starting small and working your way up... that way you can hopefully avoid the 'exhaustion and quit' phase that I did ;) After several months out of exercising I got Leslie Sansone Walk off 10 lbs at the library and did the 3 mile walk tonight. It's not super intense, but it burns calories and its better than sitting on the couch. Maybe start with walking (indoors on dvd)? And then build up as you can.
    Feel free to add me/message me. I'm about the same start point as you with a similar goal... though I'm fairly certain I won't get there before we try again. :(
  • cask16
    cask16 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    To fitkate80 and jentraveler, thanks so much for your posts.
    We found a missed misscarriage at the 12 week scan 2 weeks ago and took the pills (after nothing happening naturally) last week.

I'm definitely up and down between having no energy and hating my empty, pointless, fat body and being incredibly angry and wanting to work out like crazy.

Glad to be reminded I'm not alone :)