I want to maintain this year weight, but change my body

Options
2»

Replies

• amiramakh
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and hovering around 100 lb, but I have almost no muscle tone! So I'm looking to maintain and get some muscle. I'm cool with gaining 5 or 10 lbs as long as it's muscle weight, lol. I'm going to start doing yoga and some ballet exercises at home. I have to WORK MY WAY UP to a beginning ballet class because last time I tried to take one, it kicked my *kitten*! I also wanna start running more. :)

What's your dream company?

It's a pharmaceutical company, I've always wanted to get to work with them in eir drug safety department, and I finally got the chance :)

And I'm thinking if you eat a bit over your limit you will see weight gain as long as you work out along side ( eat back exercise calroies) it might not be 100% muscle but there will deffinitely muscle gain. I was 100lbs about 5 months ago and I was a twig! I really didn't like the lack of muscle, and not to mention I had no boobs. Hovering around 110 is a lot better looking on me :)
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hi, if you can't get to the gym, don't have any weights at home, and want to do some beginning strength training, you could try bodyweight training. I have just read "Body by You" by Mark Lauren. He also wrote "You are your own gym", which a previous poster already mentioned, but "Body by You" is more specifically for women. I have just started the program, and it seems very well laid out. It has an initial evaluation so you know which exercises to start with, a very gradual progression of exercises in 5 different movement categories (pulling, squatting, in-line pushing, perpendicular pushing and bending), and 3 program cycles. The workouts are short (less than 30 mins), and he recommends doing the program 3 times a week. I'm in a similar position to you, with not having any more weight to lose, but looking to lose a bit more body fat.

this sounds interesting :smile:
  • amiramakh
    Options
    Eat at a maintenance level, and work a progressive lifting program, check out NROLFW or one of the other programs mentioned often here (All Pro, Starting Strength, or Stronglifts).

It's a slower process, but you'll do what's called a recomp.

I went from a size 10 to a 6 by doing this over the last 12 months.

I'm looking it up right now, and congratulations, you look really great in your photo!
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    strength training is def the way to go. If you can't find equipment, you will still be able to make drastic changes with bodyweight alone. Lots of bodyweight squats, lunges, walking lunges, reverse lunges, pushups etc..

I know you said your focusing on your stomach area, but just hit everything equally (with perhaps a slight emphasis on legs) and everything will fall into place. Best of luck.
  • shortdub
    shortdub Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thank you! i was reading Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle, and the author really made a big deal about eating 5-6 times a day. i have read conflicting articles stating that it doesn't matter how often you eat, just that you get your amounted calories in for the day. thanks for the advice and the encouragement! i hope to start seeing some good results by next month!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you want to substantially change your body composition and re-comp then you really ned to get into resistance training of some kind...whether that's at a gym or using your body weight. If all you have available is your body weight then I would suggest, "You are Your Own Gym" or "Convict Conditioning."

Cardio doesn't do a whole lot for your body composition...cardio is just weight lifting for your heart. If you really want to tighten everything up and re-comp you need to do resistance work.
    ^This is what I was going to say exactly.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest checking out these 100 different body weight workout routines: http://neilarey.com/workouts.html
    They will have you getting toned up in no time.
    Or maybe try her 90 Days of Action program.

Currently trying to get my way through Gladiator for 3 sets... and that is just the beginner level. But my endurance is going up, and my body is tightening up.
  • TXEXrunner
    TXEXrunner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new job. Been where you are and the big thing for me was getting into the routine right from the start. Make the time for exercise/ strength training - whatever you want to do. It gets very hard incorporating this if you wait until after you establish your work routine. Keep fitness a priority (like it sounds you have). Happy New Year and good luck!