Diet recommendations???

Options
Hi Everyone and Happy New Year!

I just joined and desperately want to get on the right track. I have a hefty goal of losing 60 pounds in 6 months. Not going to be pleasant!

The MFP recommends eating 1200 calories a day. My question is what is the best approach to eat those 1200? I'm assuming avoiding junk and processed foods but does anyone know or can recommend an approach to eating these 1200 calories that has worked for you I'd really appreciate it!

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Why 60 pounds in 6 months?
  • allen_ac
    allen_ac Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    A couple recommendations

1) Don't give yourself a deadline, it goods to have a goal but if you have a deadline and you are so stuck in the mindset of achieving this by a certain timeframe, you will rush things that shouldn't be rushed, resulting in faster plateaus in weight loss. On top of that, the closer you get the deadline, you the more extremities you will take to try and reach your goal, sacrificing your health in order to try and achieve it, then in the end if you don't actually get what you want, you will be very disappointed

2) Use a week or two to track how much you are eating currently, how much your calories average out per day
    - Track what happens to your weight, if you are gaining weight, maintaining or losing some
    - This will help you identify your maintenance calories and have a base number to work with
    - Going straight to 1200 calories seems far too extreme, especially when you haven't started a diet, you will probably hit a wall very fast after losing some weight. Once you hit that wall, the only way to get through it would be to do insane amount of cardio or eat even less, considering 1 pack of chips can equal almost 900 calories alone, be smart with your diet.

Remember a long term goal, you need to take steps and not jump into it, the faster you go into it the faster you will stall. Find your maintenance calories, take around 300-500 calories off it per day, add some cardio sessions in to increase the deficit

Hope this helps, good luck!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to lose 60 pounds in 6 months?
    It took me 12 months to lose 60 pounds. Yeah, it took awhile, but it's been pretty pleasant and easy to stick to because I set reasonable goals. I didn't have to eliminate anything from my diet, and I didn't have to exercise excessively.

My advice is this:

1) read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
    2) set reasonable goals
    3) aim for a balanced diet to reach your calorie goal every day, but eat the foods that you like. No need to eliminate anything from your diet or eat anything special
    4) log everything you eat/drink accurately and consistently
    5) exercise for fitness

Don't over-complicate it. Weight loss isn't always easy, but it is simple. :smile:
  • StalgiaPasternak
    StalgiaPasternak Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It's okay if I don't make 60 in 6 months that would be ideal. It's not for some stupid superficial reason, I want to get pregnant with my second child this summer and need to be in a healthy weight range and ideally physically fit.

Also, I've read 8-10 pounds a month is a healthy weight loss goal so I don't think it's too extreme.

I agree that 1200 calories seems like an extreme start! I'm sure I'd see results at 1700. I'm still wondering though if there are any good recommendations for an approach? Clean diet? Wheat belly? Etc.?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    all you need is a calorie deficit and patience to lose weight

eating fruit and veg is good for your health, and ensuring you get enough protein will help retain LBM if you work out, other than that you can eat what you like, no need to eat 'clean' or cut out wheat unless you have medical issues with it... just exercise some portion control!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It's okay if I don't make 60 in 6 months that would be ideal. It's not for some stupid superficial reason, I want to get pregnant with my second child this summer and need to be in a healthy weight range and ideally physically fit.

Also, I've read 8-10 pounds a month is a healthy weight loss goal so I don't think it's too extreme.

I agree that 1200 calories seems like an extreme start! I'm sure I'd see results at 1700. I'm still wondering though if there are any good recommendations for an approach? Clean diet? Wheat belly? Etc.?
    the best approach is eat normally within moderation and your calorie limit. All limiting fad diets will do is either make you crave all the food you eliminate our out the weight back on in the long term. Make healthy choices fit some so called less healthy foods in their as all and you will have something that you can sustain. Slowly add some exercise them eat some of those calories back
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    1. Dont go down to 1,200 calories. If you really want to lose weight so quickly then eat a bit more and go and exercise.

2. Dont go on a specific diet. Generally, they are rubbish and will have you craving. Just eat generally a bit healthier and throw in stuff what you would normally eat. As said, I would do some exercise. I lost 2.5 stone in about 6-8 months and still ate unhealthy stuff now and again. I just went running to compensate for it.
  • StalgiaPasternak
    Options
    Wow that's awesome!

I guess those fad diets are pretty crappy only I found the Weight Watchers plan which does allow for you to eat crappy stuff (cookies, cakes, etc.) just enabled me to still crave those foods. I'd really like to overcome these cravings for crap once and for all because I feel that my hormonal ups and downs throughout the month coincide with craving and eating crap.

What do you guys think about this whole ALKALINE approach to eating?
  • StalgiaPasternak
    Options
    Also,

I think if I went down from what I am currently eating to 1200 calories from the get go I'd be on the news! I'd lose my mind!:blushing:
  • StalgiaPasternak
    Options
    Oh yes and what do you think about this weight lifting for women thing? Do think I should start lifting weights now when I'm a chubster or should I wait until I've slimmed down a bit?

I've seen some amazing pictures on here of weight lifting women that have totally changed their body shapes!
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    all you need is a calorie deficit and patience to lose weight

eating fruit and veg is good for your health, and ensuring you get enough protein will help retain LBM if you work out, other than that you can eat what you like, no need to eat 'clean' or cut out wheat unless you have medical issues with it... just exercise some portion control!

:heart:
  • TavistockToad
    Options

never heard of it
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    A couple recommendations

1) Don't give yourself a deadline, it goods to have a goal but if you have a deadline and you are so stuck in the mindset of achieving this by a certain timeframe, you will rush things that shouldn't be rushed, resulting in faster plateaus in weight loss. On top of that, the closer you get the deadline, you the more extremities you will take to try and reach your goal, sacrificing your health in order to try and achieve it, then in the end if you don't actually get what you want, you will be very disappointed

2) Use a week or two to track how much you are eating currently, how much your calories average out per day
    - Track what happens to your weight, if you are gaining weight, maintaining or losing some
    - This will help you identify your maintenance calories and have a base number to work with
    - Going straight to 1200 calories seems far too extreme, especially when you haven't started a diet, you will probably hit a wall very fast after losing some weight. Once you hit that wall, the only way to get through it would be to do insane amount of cardio or eat even less, considering 1 pack of chips can equal almost 900 calories alone, be smart with your diet.

Remember a long term goal, you need to take steps and not jump into it, the faster you go into it the faster you will stall. Find your maintenance calories, take around 300-500 calories off it per day, add some cardio sessions in to increase the deficit

Hope this helps, good luck!

This ^^ Especially the trial and error part...I tried to do 1200 with out logging my coffee and wine in take at first...Realized I was over then I cut back on both and eat 1400 a day and am full all day long....Its all trial and error. So track every thing measure things a cpl of time to make sure its a cup of soup or rice ect this way you get an idea of how it looks then go from there and eat less.....And over all eat less of other things but more fiber enriched foods and proteins as well to keep your muscles strong
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I guess those fad diets are pretty crappy only I found the Weight Watchers plan which does allow for you to eat crappy stuff (cookies, cakes, etc.) just enabled me to still crave those foods. I'd really like to overcome these cravings for crap once and for all because I feel that my hormonal ups and downs throughout the month coincide with craving and eating crap.

personally i do my best to fit as much 'crappy' food into my day as i can, while still maintaining a deficit... IIFYM!!!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    OP:
    Fad diets are not sustainable in the long run. It is best to set reasonable goals and stop labeling foods ("crap"). You should find a weight lifting program appropriate to your goals and start now. (you will retain some lean mass, which is a good thing).
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Oh yes and what do you think about this weight lifting for women thing? Do think I should start lifting weights now when I'm a chubster or should I wait until I've slimmed down a bit?

I've seen some amazing pictures on here of weight lifting women that have totally changed their body shapes!

strength/resistance trainign is GREAT for losing bodyfat... do it now...
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

How much do you weigh? I gained weight on here cuz I wasnt logging everything correctly and then when I started I went from 192 to 181 in a short period of time then I gained a few back and then plateaued for a while but then been loosing ever since....Yes you can lose that amount in a month but thats if you are morbidly obese and strength train alot while eating at a deficit
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options

It's nonsense - acidosis is a fairly rare phenomenon and eating a bit of acidic food won't cause it because your body has buffer systems to regulate its pH. It's only when something severe happens (e.g. drowning) that those buffer systems fail and the pH goes awry.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Dont call food 'crappy' (unless its burnt or whatever).
    Labeling food as 'good' or 'bad' is not a healthy mindset to have.

Start lifting yesterday.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Just stay within your calorie allotment. That's it. No need to cut out foods you enjoy or follow some fad diet to get results.