Back after major surgery

Options
I was diagnosed with a defective heart valve last year around May. I had an electrocardiogram done in March and then a follow up one done in August. The results of these 2 test plus a few others concluded that I would need surgery to replace the valve. I was diagnosed with severe stenosis which is a fancy way of saying my valve doesn't open all the way. On top of that it's also a bicuspid valve, which means only two leafs to close instead of three so it leaked as well. On top of that I also had an aneurysm in the aortic artery. All of this added up to surgery.

On August 30th I was told to stop all exercising and stop going to my marital arts class. I had surgery on October 15th and recovery has been going on sense then. I'm able to lightly exercise now but its been hard getting back into the swing of it. I have an appointment with my cardiologist on Monday and I'm hoping he tells me I can go back to my class as well.

I had previously done very well with weight loss. I lost around 65 pounds and I've gained probably 10-15 pounds. It's been since October since I was on a scale.

I think I need help getting back into all of this. Anybody have tips for going back to being active when you had major health conditions that limited this? I'm going to have to work my way up to all of this. Thirty minutes on a thread mill walking at a moderate pace about does me in.

Replies

• AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I had brain surgery in April and radiation therapy for 6 weeks this summer. With the steroids they had me on and lack of activity for months, I gained back 65 pounds. I'm just now to the point that I feel "normal" and starting to go to the gym full time. I remember going mountain hiking 1 month after my radiation. Last time I went, I climbed all the way to 12,500 feet with a 7 month old strapped to my back and hiking gear. This time I could only go a half a mile with nothing but a camera and bottle of water, before I felt like I was going to pass out.

My suggestion to you would be, don't push it. Your body will tell you when it needs rest. Worry about getting back to normal then worry about the weight loss. 65 pounds is great, which means you know how to lose weight. No need to rush it. 10-15 pounds is nothing. Just go slow and build up your endurance first. Just be patient, you can do it.