trying again

Options
Hello everyone,

Once again, I'm trying to make some healthy New Year's resolutions that will stick. I'm a 55-year old female and need to lose weight. It would be nice to get rid of the size 16W pants, but I am more concerned about my weight for health reasons - high cholesterol and pre diabetes. I also have problems with my inherited flat feet and tendon problems in my ankles that can be quite painful. I think that losing 15 or 20 pounds will make a big difference in how I feel. I'm hoping that if I can make some small changes and stick to them, that it will lead to weight loss without actually having to obsess about everything I put in my mouth.

Replies

• Lisa3493
    Options
    I am 50 years old and ready to lose weight. I joined a few years ago, but never followed up on it, now 30 lbs heavier, and wearing size 16 uncomfortably and size 18 a bit too big, I am ready to feel more comfy in my smaller clothes. I need some motivated friends to chat with...
  • jmthib58
    jmthib58 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa,

Sounds like we're kind of in the same boat. I can be "good" on my own for a while, but then I start playing mind games with myself.

Jeanne
  • sheila1132
    Options
    Best of luck to all of you. I'm feeling very motivated today, but have been up and down for so long, and have been on every diet under the sun. I've been a yo-yo dieter for 30 years. I'm frustrated that I'm "where I'm at" with my weight, but at the same time, I feel good that I'm committing to making changes. Happy New year!
  • onlyvictory2014
    onlyvictory2014 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well Hello!!! I was really impressed from ur post. I am 25 and have plenty of weight to lose but what caught my eye was that I am also dealing with flat feet and tendons in my ankles. I am actually in physical therapy and it seems to get worse day by day. But as you said hopefully when I lose some weight it will get better :)
  • jmthib58
    jmthib58 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been dealing with physical therapy on and off for a year now. I finally had an MRI and will be getting a custom made ankle/foot brace that will helpfully allow my right ankle to heal. My mother's feet have ended up being very deformed and she's had multiple surgeries and I definitely do not want to "follow in her footsteps." Good luck with yours!
  • wjrapp
    wjrapp Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You can add me....I'm 54 female and was on 5 pills a day for high cholesterol, high blood pressure and arthritis. I've been working a healthier me for over 2 years and have successfully been off all my meds (under Dr.'s supervision) for 16 months now and have gone from size 16 to 10-12 now.

It can be done if you are REALLY READY to make a change in your life. I got so tired of being tired and had gained weight and was sick of taking meds that made me feel worse even though they corrected my bp, chol and arthritis. I don't starve myself, I changed my diet and make healthier choices and now feed my body the foods it needs to keep my health issues in check. I also work out at the gym at least 5 days a week. Nothing very long or hard...some cardio and weights.

I didn't just jump on the machines and went 40 minutes....take 10 minutes of cardio as often as you can and increase from there.

The only reason it doesn't work, is we don't stick with it and aren't ready to make the life changes and/or give up too soon. I made the choice to be healthier and feel better....and won't go back....

It's really up each of us...and the quality of life we want. If we want it badly enough...it can be done.

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Wisdom1954
    Options
    Happy New Year all ! I can identify very much with what you are describing. I started using this app last year, but did not stick with it. I am 59, size 16W, just reached menopause and finding the weight loss even slower . Also have a more sedentary job. Seems to be my mind games come into play also and I start down the slippery slope of lack of meal planning and portion control, along with excuse making as to why life won't let me do this now. I belong to a terrific wellness center that I do not use frequently enough. I am ready to tackle this challenge again, this time using the community support to keep my resolve and focus strong. I am a lifetime weight watchers member, but don't feel that program is right for me at this stage of life. I feel best when I limit sugar and carbs.
  • Stef836
    Stef836 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    :) Best of luck. I understand the feet issues and after seeing a doctor at 35 and being told I might not be able to walk in my 60's unless I get better shoes and loose weight I started to think I need to get healthy. Then this weekend a 25 yr old told me how "good I look for my age" I got the kick in the a** I needed to realize I need to get healthy and loose this weight once and for all. Here is to your goals and a new healthy you!
  • slimnfit613
    slimnfit613 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me. I will be turning 50 in June. Huge goals to reach by then. This is my second time around on here and I won't give up. We need all the support and motivation that we can get.

:flowerforyou:
  • Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Good morning to you all, and Happy New Year.... These posts sure sound a lot like me. I've been using MFP off and on for awhile now, but I told myself last week, that I had to really buckle down for this to work. I've tried just about every program out there, with good results mind you, but, I don't stick to anything... :(
    I am 56 yrs old, and currently unemployed....hopefully I will find something soon. You know, I just realized that if I am called for an interview anywhere, my dress pants aren't going to fit...
    None of my clothes don't fit comfortably anymore, and I huff and puff alot. I know that I am the only one that can fix this problem, and yes, it is a problem. I am in the early/middle stages of Menopause, which I totally hate mind you. Aaarrrggghhhhhh....... That is all I can say.. If anyone is interested in a side kick during this weight loss trek, please feel free to add me... I need all the help that I can get..
    Kat :)