Lifestyle not a diet

Options
I am a 55 yr. old Christian woman that has lost 100 pounds two years ago, and maintained the loss for one year. This past year I have experienced some stressful experiences and turned to food instead of prayer and the discipline of exercise. The result of my choices has been a regain of 50 pounds; I am saying ENOUGH! I am in for a lifestyle change that will see me through the stresses that life deals out. I would love to travel this journey with others who are interested in giving up the excuses and take responsibility for our choices.

Replies

• zodiac58
    zodiac58 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think you're right on target about it being a lifestyle rather than a diet. I've also had a crazy stressful year. After being down to within a couple of pounds of my goal weight, I got back into some bad eating habits. For me it's too easy to eat out of stress or boredom rather than when I'm actually hungry. I know that if I don't address my underlying behavioral responses, any progress I make will be temporary.
  • ruthcyn
    ruthcyn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with your comment of not addressing the underlying behavioral responses as the cause of the regaining of the weight.
    That is a lot of hard work to really dig in and find out why each one of us respond the way we do. Personally, sometimes I feel like it just doesn't matter; I know that is a lie I am telling myself. That instant gratification that I get from reaching for food is so much easier than making myself get up and exercise, which takes longer to get the stress relief. I know I have been very good with the excuses, although they are just that, excuses. I am tired of the excuses and want real change. The exercise helps me realize just how much the attitude of, "it just doesn't matter" really is a lie.
  • wjrapp
    wjrapp Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You can add me....I'm 54 female and was on 5 pills a day for high cholesterol, high blood pressure and arthritis. I've been working a healthier me for over 2 years and have successfully been off all my meds (under Dr.'s supervision) for 16 months now and have gone from size 16 to 10-12 now.

It can be done if you are REALLY READY to make a change in your life. I got so tired of being tired and had gained weight and was sick of taking meds that made me feel worse even though they corrected my bp, chol and arthritis. I don't starve myself, I changed my diet and make healthier choices and now feed my body the foods it needs to keep my health issues in check. I also work out at the gym at least 5 days a week. Nothing very long or hard...some cardio and weights.

I didn't just jump on the machines and went 40 minutes....take 10 minutes of cardio as often as you can and increase from there.

The only reason it doesn't work, is we don't stick with it and aren't ready to make the life changes and/or give up too soon. I made the choice to be healthier and feel better....and won't go back....

It's really up each of us...and the quality of life we want. If we want it badly enough...it can be done.

Good Luck! flowerforyou