Treadmills

Options
Hi:

Do you have a treadmill that is really good that you can recommend?

Do you have a treadmill that his horrible and would recommend that I should not buy?

Cali_Flower

Replies

• rcktdan
    rcktdan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a mid-range Pro Form that I like. Not sure what model number. It's my second Pro Form, the first lasted amost 10 years. I use it for walking and light jogging.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I have a True treadmill and love it. No fancy programmable things on it. I have had it for over 10 yrs with no problems. It was a little expensive but stable for jogging and walking. Even my hubby who weight over 200 lbs can use it with no problems
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    It doesn't snow every day and it's not -7 every day, even in cold climates (I'm in MN). Yes, I run less in the winter but I do keep going 1-2 times per week. It's been a very cold winter but I plan to go tomorrow outdoors. I'm just not a treadmill fan.
  • cutthroatcupcake
    Options
    I honestly have a cheap one from walmart for the winter months were there is ice on the ground and I don't want to bust my stuff. Otherwise, I bought some warm clothes from Under Armor and as long as it is in the double digits outside, I'm out there. If you are only going to be using it for when its cold out, I wouldn't spend a crap ton of money. Mine is 3 years old and runs great. Spend around 200-250 for it.
  • Kev_22
    Kev_22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Horizon T101 here. I've only had it for 6 months, but I like it. I did a ton of research on them before purchasing and this one seemed to be the best bang for the buck.
  • hrufener06
    Options
    Treadmills are wonderful for the winter months when you are unable to get outside for your normal walk or run. I had a mid-grad Pro-form that lasted 13 years without any maintenance. I bought a Nordic Track 6.1 (last years model so it was cheaper) the new model is the 6.3 on sale you should be able to get in for around $650. I'm hoping this one last me at least 10 years or more. Good luck!
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    bump because looking into treadmills too
  • leefox79
    leefox79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love how people love to hate on Treadmills. Yes, I would much rather run out side, but if the weather is horrible, why risk it.
    I ran over 1200 miles last year with about 300 of them on the treadmill. If it wasn't for the treadmill, I probably wouldn't have been able to get those miles. I have 2 little kids, so many of my treadmill runs are at 4:30 in the morning and on a treadmill I dont have to worry about drivers who are half asleep and not seeing me even with a headlamp and reflective gear.

As for the treadmill doing some of the work for you, yes it does make running a little easier, but on of the major benefits is being able to adjust the incline and add hills which can make it a much tougher workout.
  • kender54
    kender54 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    After doing a lot of research I bought the Nordictrack C700. I tested it out at Sears but ordered from Nordic track.

The choice you make is going to be dependent on how often and how hard you plan on using it. Look at Horsepower and weight limts. treadmilldoctor.com reviews are helpful to narrow down the best in each category. It will also give some good tips.

Above all, if getting a treadmill will help you get your work out in for whatever reason and you can afford it (I don't feel safe in my neighborhood after dark and I sure don't like being cold and wet) do it. Everyone has their own personal preferences.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to get a membership to a gym rather than buying your own, at least at first. Go try it out, see if you like it, if it's something you can do everyday before investing money. Most gyms have a couple different models of treadmills so you can see what features you like or don't like (for example, if I was buying one I would like one where I can program customized intervals at speeds and inclines and durations I choose)

Places like Planet Fitness are good "cardio gyms" where they have a ton of different cardio equipment and you can use it for $10 a month with no contract- so you don't invest money in something you don't like.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to get a membership to a gym rather than buying your own, at least at first. Go try it out, see if you like it, if it's something you can do everyday before investing money. Most gyms have a couple different models of treadmills so you can see what features you like or don't like (for example, if I was buying one I would like one where I can program customized intervals at speeds and inclines and durations I choose)

Places like Planet Fitness are good "cardio gyms" where they have a ton of different cardio equipment and you can use it for $10 a month with no contract- so you don't invest money in something you don't like.

Yes this!!! You can get a year membership for way less than a treadmill!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    All,

Lets please stay on topic so we dont' violate the below rule

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Thread has been cleaned for all non topic items.
  • cali_flower
    cali_flower Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all that answered my original question. Buying a treadmill can be daunting. I will check out the website that was suggested.

The temperature is -40 C today, and the temperatures will most likely stay in the -30's to -40's until the end of February. It's like this almost every winter, except for the nice year that Alninio happened. When it gets that cold Environment Canada issues warnings not to stay outside for more than 5 minutes. Exercising in weather that cold can cause your lungs to freeze from the inside. Every year 100's of people die from the extreme cold.

Thank you to the person who suggested I get a gym membership, but that's not an option either. I live an hour away from the closest gym because I live in a rural area.

Over the years I've tried the Wii Fit Plus, Dance Dance Revolution, Running in one spot to music I like, and many other things. I've come to the conclusion that a treadmill is the only thing that will provide good exercise. Right now I have the money (I saved up for it) and the will to use it every day.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I have the Spirit XT10.

I bought it a couple years ago when the model was being clearanced out.

I love everything about it but 1 thing. The quick set controls increment by 2 only. So, speed, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 MPH. Incline the same.

I let it drive me too much. Like I'll let it force me to 8 mph when I should be doing 7 mph, etc.

If I had to do it again, I'd make sure that I could 1-touch it to any round speed/incline.

Otherwise, it's been awesome even though I started running on the poor thing when I weighed almost 300 pounds.
  • Daisyisacat
    Options
    I live in Ottawa. I chickened out and didn't run outside today. I will run outside to about -20C. I have a Precor treadmill. If you are going to buy one I would recommend buying a good one. That being said I hate the "dread mill". It is mind numbing. If we didn't have the wind chill warning today, I would have run outside. If you live or work in a high rise - running stairs is a cheaper (and excellent) workout.
  • Daisyisacat
    Options
    I just noticed that you said you live in a rural area. If you have a bike that you use outside, you could in the winter set it up on a bike trainer. It is cheaper then a treadmill and takes up a lot less space. I have a cyclo ops trainer and it was about $400. I always get a great workout using it.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I also used treadmilldoctor.com for a treadmill and also an elliptical. Ive been through numerous treadmills. First was a cheap Weslo Cadence. Motor died.
    Second Horizon- fried the circuit board-replaced it then the motor started to fry and now it smells like electrical burning and it trips the circuit breaker.
    3rd- Pacemaster- spent $3000 on a treadmill that was supposed to have a lifetime warranty and the company went out of business! Sooooo if anything goes wrong with this one I'm back to square one again.
    Due to health issues I cant run or walk for long periods outside and the treadmill and elliptical have literally saved my life! Good Luck!