Dear Noob, You Can Do It

Options
BeingKevin
BeingKevin Posts: 109 Member
I know how hard it is to get started so if you decided that 2014 was going to be the year that you finally drop a few pounds, or like me lots of pounds, then congratulations on taking control of your future. I can assure you only one thing – if you do it, and you can do it, it will be worth it.

One thing I like to tell people is that life is so much more fun when you are living it. I am living proof of this. I can’t even begin to tell you how much different life is for me, 190 pounds lighter than I was 15 months ago when I landed at MFP for the first time. In that time I have done things I never thought I would do again. In that time I have done things I have never done before. In that time my life has changed, for the better, forever.

If you are anything like me you have probably tried to lose weight numerous times. If you are anything like me you probably tried or wanted to try every pill, potion, and/or fad diet you heard about hoping that it would be the easy way to sustainable weight loss. You can stop looking now because the only sustainable weight loss plan (in my opinion) is a new lifestyle that includes eating less and moving more. Tracking your calories on MFP helps you hit the first of these two tasks, the second is up to you.

You may want to check with a doctor before doing any activity, but I strongly recommend doing something regardless of how little that activity seems to be. I started by walking just 5 minutes at a time and I had to stop because the pain in my feet, ankles, knees, and back were simply too much. It didn’t take long however before my body got use to the added activity and allowed me to go further and faster. Your body will amaze you with how much it can do if you will allow it.

I am a strong believer in the power of exercise and how it has transformed me from somebody who struggled to get out of a recliner to somebody who is planning to run a half-marathon. In my opinion tracking calories helped me change my weight but exercising helped me change my life. I have confidence it can do the same for you.

I only have one piece of real advice for you. When people ask me what my secret is I tell them the answer to sustainable weight loss comes down to two simple words – never quit. 15 months ago I was where you may be now, tired and ready to do something about it. I promised myself one morning that I would not quit and that I would do everything I could for just one day. I upheld that promise and the next morning I made myself that very same promise. I took it one day at a time - eventually promise became habit and eventually I will be healthy. Never quit, and eventually you will be healthy too.

Best of luck – you can do it!

Replies

• spookyjo
    spookyjo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Inspiration above.

Thank you :smile:
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I just want to add one of my favorite quotes:

"No one said it was going to be easy, but what I can tell you is that it WILL be worth it"

I have no idea where it originated but it speaks volumes to me.
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Not a noob, but struggling.... so thank you for your inspiring post! :drinker:
  • TeamAliyah
    TeamAliyah Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! It has been truly inspirational to me as I have been motivated but never kept up with it.
  • FitCowgirl8
    FitCowgirl8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    That is very inspirational and well put. I am not a noob but these were the words I needed right now to keep going so Thank you!
  • ladyshellbelle
    ladyshellbelle Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you, just what I needed :):smile:
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Great post and all very true :smile:
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Love your story!! Congrats on your continuing success!

And to the new folks, welcome! My advice after only four months, having been where you are a very short time ago, would be DON'T START OVER.

If you were running or walking to a destination, and you tripped over a rock and fell down, would you hightail it back to your house and begin your journey again? Heck no, it's only one little trip, you bandaged yourself up and stood up and kept going from where you fell. Same with weight loss. One day that doesn't go by the plan is not the ending. It's life, it's normal, it's a tiny stumble that you learn from and pick yourself up and keep on moving. Too often if things go awry people say "Well I already screwed this day up, might as well eat what I want and START OVER TOMORROW (Or Monday. Or next month)." Nope. Get up and keep going from where you are.
  • biggirl1000
    biggirl1000 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kevin -

Thought I'd share this one too:

I am not a product of my circumstances, I am a product of my decisions. - Steven Covey.

Decide to not quit this year. Decide to exercise regularly and control the calories. Be a product of those decisions.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything in the OP.

I might add some more suggestions for those starting out on here.

Find other users that are your gender and age range, that are losing, or have already lost, around the same amount that you need to lose, and SURROUND yourself with those who are active and encouraging on here.
    Go to them with your questions and struggles, as they can relate better to you and your situation, than some other random people on the forums that may be in a totally different situation than you.

Let's face it, an 18 yo male bodybuilder who has never been overweight, will not have much empathy or helpful advice for a 60 yr old disabled woman who is 200 lbs overweight.

You will get LOTS of conflicting advice on the forums, but if you build a network of friends that can relate to you personally, then you will equip yourself with a great tool for success.

Also- BE CONSISTENT! Log in every day, even if you don't feel like it. That total number of days logged in number will be SO motivating for you. Skipping one day can easily turn into 2, or a week, or a month, etc. Even if you know you won't be entering your food, due to holiday or illness, etc, at least visit the site every day to keep your goals in mind and that number going up.

Don't beat yourself up when you slip. And You WILL slip. We are human. We are not perfect. And when you expect perfection, you are easily disappointed. Just log it and move on. If you don't log it, then you will forget about it later and then wonder why your scale is not cooperating with you.

Which brings me to- BE HONEST! 100% honesty with yourself. If you can't admit where you are, then you can't change. Not logging that cake you ate, or finding the lowest calorie count for something, when you KNOW it is higher than that, is only hurting yourself.

And finally- BE PATIENT! You will hear this a lot on here. We all wanted to get the weight off YESTERDAY, but it will take time. Some people lose quicker than others can. Do not compare yourself to them. Life is not always fair, so you might as well accept that now. I started 16 months ago with 80 lbs to lose, hoping to lose it in 6 months, but thinking for sure I could lose it in a year. A year sounded like an eternity, but I was willing to be that patient.
    Well, the year ended and I had only lost 50. Should I consider myself a failure and quit? Heck no! I was in the best physical and mental health than I had been in 13 years! So if it takes me another year to lose the final weight, so be it!
    The time spent educating myself on nutrition, and what my body needed, was well spent. I also learned a lot about myself that had nothing to do with weight loss.
    Losing weight can be the easy part. KEEPING IT OFF is the hard part. You can't rush those life lessons that come along with the disciplines needed.
    There is no rush. There is also no easy, miracle cure. You gotta want it, and be willing to do what it takes to reach your goals, no matter how long it takes.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Love your story!! Congrats on your continuing success!

And to the new folks, welcome! My advice after only four months, having been where you are a very short time ago, would be DON'T START OVER.

If you were running or walking to a destination, and you tripped over a rock and fell down, would you hightail it back to your house and begin your journey again? Heck no, it's only one little trip, you bandaged yourself up and stood up and kept going from where you fell. Same with weight loss. One day that doesn't go by the plan is not the ending. It's life, it's normal, it's a tiny stumble that you learn from and pick yourself up and keep on moving. Too often if things go awry people say "Well I already screwed this day up, might as well eat what I want and START OVER TOMORROW (Or Monday. Or next month)." Nope. Get up and keep going from where you are.

^^Awesome advice!
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options

The above is the attitude that every successful person has adopted. It's just a bump in the road, not the end of the journey.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    *like*
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Great advice.
  • softncudly
    softncudly Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Thank you. :)
  • rustyvicinie
    rustyvicinie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Great advice from all above. It ain't easy but it's worth it!
  • alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I love the way so many MFP-ers are paying it forward by sharing their hard-earned weight loss wisdom with newcomers.

Here are a few tips from me.

1. Hunger is the enemy. You have to figure out ways to not be hungry. For me, that has meant consuming adequate amounts of protein and eating regularly (three good-sized meals and sometimes a snack, too).
    2. Progress, not perfection. I'll never be perfect. That's okay. Perfect is boring. :wink:
    3. Exercise keeps me mentally healthy as well as physically healthy. And the better I feel mentally, the less likely I am to become depressed (and want to overeat), to experience cravings (and want to overeat), or to simply not be bothered to make healthy meals. Exercise is key.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    Learning-Materials--Poster-The-Road-To-Success-Is--T-A67143_L.jpg

and my fav that started me out....

successfail1_zps8d0bf334.jpg
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    I was success before joining this site, but thanks...
  • lmahood
    lmahood Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful advice and very true.:flowerforyou: