Torn Menicus surgery

Options
dynad
dynad Posts: 87 Member
I ahve a large tear in the right knee trying to strenghten the muscle but everything i try aggrevaites it. Should I or shouldn't have the surgery?

Replies

• salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you are looking to this community to tell you if you need surgery? You really should see a doctor for this kind of advice, it will be a little more reliable.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/26/health/common-knee-surgery-does-very-little-for-some-study-suggests.html?_r=0

I saw this the other day and thought it was interesting.

I tore mine back in 1992 and the USAF treated it with PT (rubber band exercises) and ibuprofen. (I healed fine - BTW)
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am recovering from a partial tear in my left knee's meniscus. Consult an orthopedic surgeon. Mine did not recommend surgery, just PT, ice, and ibuprofin. I walk on stable, flat sufaces and that's about it for now.
  • scottjoh
    scottjoh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've have the surgery on both knees. The recovery time is fairly short so I'd say if you doctor recommends it, then get it done.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You need to talk to your doctor about exercises and/or the need of surgery or PT. Not all tears are the same, and the age of the patient and the general condition of the knee determines what will work or not. I have torn meniscus in both knees and PT didn’t help them at all.

I am heading for possible repair surgery myself, if the doctor agrees because I also have OA, and he may decide that a knee replacement is the way to go.

TALK TO YOU DOCTOR!!!
  • aavila60
    aavila60 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been living with a torn meniscus for eight years. Never had surgery. Unless you're okay with living in pain, constantly icing, and pain meds, don't get the surgery. I wish I had gotten it because the pain always comes back.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    6weeks out from surgery. Had my ACL replaced, meniscus and other cartlidge repaired. Before surgery I was able to squat my body weight, 135+. I am just now able to do body weight squats and breaking plane. No ATG or added weight for a bit longer. I plan on being able to squat my body weight, (and hopefully then some), by the end of this year.
    If your Dr. offers/recommends surgery, take it. The healing time and long term stability was worth it to me.

Good luck!!
  • Aerosam
    Aerosam Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Had my right knee done 3 times now, surgery worked well for me, its just my own fault i keep on injuring it through my own workouts. I've been told that if i do it again there isnt enough left to repair and I'll be looking at a transplant (which comes with a 6 month recovery period).

Ive only ever needed 2 weeks off work recovery time for the surgery in the past, and a month or so to get back into training. I am taking it MUCH slower this time though, had it done in february and im only just getting back into running, under phyisiotherapist supervision, as I dont relish the thought of a transplant.
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I tore mine when I did my medial & anterior ligaments, and went down the physio route without surgery. It's worked out fine for me, back to running, took up boxing, doing some lifting too & no discomfort. Everyone's different though, and pretty much any advice you get on here is going to be based on anecdotal experience. Consult with a professional who has all data and can guide you to an informed decision.
  • dynad
    Options
    FYI I did go to doctor and he quickly said surgery, wanted to hear other opions
  • dynad
    Options
    Very interesting, not sure what to do. doctors seem to like cutting into people.

thanks to all for your input
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, not sure what to do. doctors seem to like cutting into people.

thanks to all for your input

You can always ask your doctor to send you to physical therapy, and if that doesn't work out, you already know what route to take. Good luck!