30 min workout enough

Options
is 30 min work out on the treadmill enough each day. I normally walk at 3.5 and i run at 4.2 do this for 30 min. only eatting around 1000 calories. weight is 217

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    30 minutes a day is fine, but 1000 calories isn't. Follow MFP's guidelines and eat at a moderate deficit. 1000 calories is the shortcut to miserable.
  • jquick25
    Options
    ok ill eat a snack and put it up to 1200. will i still lose only working out that much and eatting that much
  • fitphoenix22
    Options
    You're not eating enough calories. The minimum amount of calories an average woman should eat is 1200... and at your weight, you should be much higher than that. You could eat 1600 calories and still lose weight.

Personally, I've found that 30 minutes of HIGH intensity interval training on the treadmill is enough... but if you're only averaging a speed of 3.5-4.2, you should probably bump up the time spent on the treadmill to 45 min to an hour.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    ok ill eat a snack and put it up to 1200. will i still lose only working out that much and eatting that much

Working out is for FITNESS.

If you want to lose weight, all you need is a calorie deficit.

Maintain a sustainable calorie goal and the weight will come off.
  • jquick25
    Options
    ok thanks everyone i will try all of this
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Working out is for FITNESS.

If you want to lose weight, all you need is a calorie deficit.

Maintain a sustainable calorie goal and the weight will come off.

This. You don't lose weight by exercising- you lose weight by staying within your allocated calorie allotment (and 1,000 or even 1,200 is too low). I lost over 50lbs without any exercising and eating 1,400-1,800 calories. I didn't start walking until after I transitioned into maintenance.
  • PLoveElliott
    PLoveElliott Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    1200 is not a lot of calories and shouldn't be viewed as "you eating that much." As others have noted above, 1200 is the minimum that any one person should eat. However, I wouldn't advise it. You really should bump up your calories. For now walking for 30 minutes on the treadmill is fine. But I am sure you will notice that as you get more healthy and fit you will be changing up your workouts and probably even increasing the amount of time that you spend working out.
    Good luck on your journey!