Which GPS watch to buy for Marathon Training?

Options
One of my resolutions is to run a half marathon in September. I started training yesterday and it felt great! My question is, I really want to buy a GPS watch, but there are too many choices!! Any of you have a suggestion as to which watch to get?

Replies

• eugovogue
    Options
    I do not train for or run marathons personally, but a co worker of mine does. For Christmas she got a Garmin running watch and is over the moon about it. So maybe look into that one? (It's expensive, but worth it according to her)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    One of my resolutions is to run a half marathon in September. I started training yesterday and it felt great! My question is, I really want to buy a GPS watch, but there are too many choices!! Any of you have a suggestion as to which watch to get?

I have a Garmin Forerunner 210. I think this is one of the more 'basic' Garmins, although I think it can do quite a lot. I love it. Garmin Connect is good for logging the runs also.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My husband trained for a few marathons and he has a garmin. I have another friend that trains for ironmans and she has a garmin but a different version. My husbands garmin is a bit bulky for me but it works well. I have used it a few times and it is accurate. He was considering getting a smaller and waterproof one. Good luck on your training.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I love my garmin, used to have a 305xt got a forerunner 610 for xmas! love it!
  • 2_blackdogs
    2_blackdogs Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Very helpful posts!! I am going with the Garmin Forerunner 210... Some of you said they can load onto Garmin Connect...do you know if that is compatible (loads info to) MFP??
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin 10. Its a pretty entry level garmin without a ton of bells and whistles but I love it. All the data does go to garmin connect but that does not sync with MFP.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Very helpful posts!! I am going with the Garmin Forerunner 210... Some of you said they can load onto Garmin Connect...do you know if that is compatible (loads info to) MFP??

Sorry. Its a 205 I have, not 210. My mistake....

I dont think Connect is yet compatible with MFP. There is this thread - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/828029-garmin-connect-support

It appears to be some form of petition to have this actioned.