Atkins Induction

Options
Hey guys/gals.
I'm going to start Atkins Diet:Induction Phase for a few weeks.
I always had the same routine menu ( for breakfast: scrambled eggs, omlet, blah blah) I would like your support and look at what u eat during this phase <3

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    1. No matter how lousy you feel (and the first few days can be rough) commit to at least two weeks, preferably three (I find things smooth out really well for me in the third week).

2. I eat more the first two weeks I'm going back into ketosis. I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full and I don't worry if I don't drop a single pound, and I usually don't.

3. I don't worry about exercise in the first three weeks if I don't feel like it. I let my body adjust first.

4. Find a low carb/Atkins sub forum here and/or one elsewhere for more support. A lot of people in the regular forum are really anti-Atkins. Sweden, however, thinks it's great for weight loss. And we all know they're smarter than we are. They have good healthcare. :laugh:

5. If you start to feel ill/have digestive issues, it might be too many eggs. Eggs do bad things to me when I eat too many. Your results may vary.

6. Cheese. Careful not to eat too much. It's very easy to grab a chunk when passing the fridge (or it is for me) and that can cause stalls plus isn't enough variety.

7. Get the book if you didn't already. A lot of people recommend the one he wrote, not the updated version. Also, Atkins products stall some people. I avoid all low carb products and just eat eggs, meat, and cheese, peppers, onions, and coconut oil.

8. Coconut oil! Great for cooking, pretty good in coffee, too.

9. Find the combinations of food that make you feel your best.

Edit: 10. Don't skimp on fats, trying to combine low fat with low carb is disastrous!

Edit 11: Forgot a really important one. Water. Lots of it. And if you're cooking your own food, feel free to add some salt. Staves off headaches that can happen while you're adjusting.
  • courtneyhinkins
    Options
    I'm on day three of phase one, is tomato soup okay to eat for lunch? (Heinz Tomato Soup - Reduced soup)
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I'm on day three of phase one, is tomato soup okay to eat for lunch? (Heinz Tomato Soup - Reduced soup)

If you're doing it by the book, I'm pretty sure tomato is a no-no during induction, but then, so is alcohol and onions, and I had both this last time, neither bothered me.

Here is the by the book list for Induction:

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-1/What-You-Can-Eat-in-this-Phase.aspx

Edit: I was wrong, onion is on there, just in small enough amounts to keep the net carbs for the day down.
  • Divabonita88
    Divabonita88 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    check out low carb and atkins groups...you'll likely find more support & info you can use.
    Good luck :drinker:
  • nurse892012
    Options
    This is my first week on atkins and im feeling great. In 5 days, ive lost 5 lbs and im showing a small amount of ketones in my urine. I know that 5 lbs is water, but this lifestyle has worked better than any other Ive tried. It's really not as hard for me as I thought it would be. I was never a big bread lover, but I do like pasta and sugary foods.

things ive noticed:
    - ive been craving tomato sauce all week
    - my first week at work while on atkins i was offered fudge, peanut brittle, candied nuts, taco soup, cheese cake, taco bell, and churros (the first 4 were in the same day!!) - I TURNED THEM ALL DOWN
    - when i feel my body needing carbs, i eat cucumbers or sugar snap peas
    -canned crab isn't as bad as it sounds and its a lot better than tuna
    - searching for a carb free sugar substitue without aspertame (it gives me migraines) is rough. Truvia is what Im using- it has sugar alcohols and the body doesnt use that for carbs, right? im desperate. i need a small amount of caffeine, so i drink a glass of tea or 2 a day, but im a southern girl and tea isnt tea unless its sweet!
  • ljrain
    ljrain Posts: 7
    Options
    I am on day 3 on Atkins Induction, yesterday was tough. I took the family out and had steak and eggs with a salad which helped me out a lot!!

How do you record net carbs here?

Good luck and Happy New Year
  • nurse892012
    Options
    I dont think so, but i wish it were. ive been craving a tomato sauce all week!!
  • DGPebbles
    DGPebbles Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Today is day one for me. Lots of cravings during the holidays which I know I'll be fighting off the first few days. But I know I can do this just got to stay strong. Lets keep this thread going with daily check in's.
  • obmckenzie
    obmckenzie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm not on Atkins, but I am on Ideal Protein which is basically the same thing: LCHF. I'm on day 2 and going strong. The cravings are had but my willpower is always the strongest in the beginning which helps!

Anyone have some suggestions for LCHF groups?
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I am on day 3 on Atkins Induction, yesterday was tough. I took the family out and had steak and eggs with a salad which helped me out a lot!!

There isn't a way to record net carbs without doing the math yourself. But I track carbs, fat, protein and fiber. Net carbs= Carb total-fiber total. You can change what you track by going to the Food tab at the top, then click settings on the smaller top bar.

OP: I'm not on Atkins but I am normally on a LCHF diet which is similar to induction phase but extended as the main diet. Best advice I have:

1) Don't give up after 3-4 days because you feel icky. You are, for lack of a better term, detoxing from carbs. This is normal for the diet.
    2) Don't track calories for the first week at least probably 2 weeks.
    3) Drink a ton of water! If you think you are drinking a lot drink more! It really helps
    4) Make sure you get in your electrolytes, sodium, magnesium and potassium. Broths and dark leafy greens are great for this.
    5) Avoid Atkins products if you can. They can really stall many people.
    6) Eat enough fat! Fat will be your fuel source until you start to add more carbs back in and if you don't have enough you will be extremely tired. Don't eat low fat products, particularly diary products!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options

I'm on low carb too, and thankfully it is working great for me. I haven't found a way to track net carbs with MFP. So what I do instead is have the total carbs and fibre tracked, and it just look at the numbers. My personal target is 25 g net carbs, and I do this by taking total carb grams and minus fibre grams. For example, 40 grams total carbs minus 15 grams fibre equals 25 grams net carbs.