Grocery List Must Have's

Options
Looking for a reasonable healthy snacking and meal plan ideas and grocery list must haves for a mom of 2 My problem is knowing what I need to have daily on hand in my fridge and pantry for everyday eating...a good list so when I go to the store I know what to get

Replies

• Dreya711
    Dreya711 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The website I just sent you has a page just for that :)

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating/
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I get the following pretty much every week, local as possible for the fruits, veggies, and meats):

Bananas
    Greek Yogurt (low fat* fruit on the bottom)
    Plain full fat regular yogurt
    Block cheddar cheese
    Organic corn chips
    Salsa of some sort
    One or two other types of fresh fruit (right now it's clementines)
    Broccoli
    One or two other types of fresh veggies
    Whole milk (from a local dairy)
    Cage-free eggs (from same dairy)
    Locally-sourced bacon
    Frozen beef and turkey patties (when possible from the above-mentioned local dairy, otherwise I get Philly Gourmet).
    Ground turkey (at least 93/7)
    Boneless, Skinless chicken breast (both "tenders" and "regular")
    Breyer's Natural Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry Ice Cream

* I would get full-fat if they sold it where I shop)
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Everyone else will fill in the "clean" stuff. :)

I'll suggest good old fashioned ice cream sandwiches.

You have two kids who will want periodic treats - you will want periodic treats...

The iced cream sandwich, the normal ones, are reasonably priced, yummy, provide good portion control, and are only about 150 calories.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

You have two kids who will want periodic treats - you will want periodic treats...

The iced cream sandwich, the normal ones, are reasonably priced, yummy, provide good portion control, and are only about 150 calories.

I like this advice!!
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Before making a grocery list you have to make a plan for what you will be eating for the week.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Before making a grocery list you have to make a plan for what you will be eating for the week.

I don't find this to be entirely the case. While I do plan some meals and add the foods needed to prepare it to my list, my standard grocery list has items that can be made into meals depending on how I feel any particular day. Sometimes I like to play "Chopped" and randomly pick 4 things from my kitchen and try to make an entrée.
  • Dreya711
    Dreya711 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

I love the Skinny Cow Pretzel and Caramel bars. Not as cheap as the traditional ice cream sandwich, but they are my go-to treat! :)
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Eggs, some sort of smoked oily fish, tinned tuna and sardines, leafy green stuff, carrots, onions, full fat organic milk, brown rice, oats, fruit (fresh/frozen/tinned), parmesan, yogurts (but not sugar free or diet ones), chocolate and english breakfast tea.

I also keep things in the cupboard to make food more interesting (not sour cream or cheese, sadly!) - tamari sauce, mustard, wasabi, lime/lemon/yuzu juice, harissa, lots of spices and vinegars, that kind of thing. I grow herbs and usually have garlic/chillies/ginger about. I have stock in the freezer or use that Swiss bullion stuff, so if I'm stuck I'll dump in the contents of the veg drawer and whizz it up or add noodles.

I tend to plan what I eat for the week ahead, only because it stops me wandering about and spending money on things I won't use or will go to waste. I don't buy meat or fish from the supermaket, so I have to plan when I'm going to eat it.

Popcorn kernels are a good cupboard stand-by, they make loads of the stuff and they're cheap. I like salt and pepper on it.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I actually have my list sitting right here in front of me for this week:

-Bananas
    -Flat out wraps
    -Sara Lee light wheat bread
    -Low sugar ketchup
    -Garlic powder & no-salt cajun (My spice cabinet is packed FULL, adds tons of flavor w/o the calories)
    -Eggs
    -Chicken breast
    -Turkey lunch meat (I like the kind that's not the pressed stuff, more like actual slices of turkey- lower sodium & other junk)
    -Salmon or tilapia fillets
    -Ground turkey (stay at or above 93/7, depends on the week's budget)
    -String cheese
    -Almond milk (vanilla unsweetened and plain unsweetened)
    -Beef jerky
    -Almonds (I like the cocoa roasted or cinnamon 100 calorie packs. Wasabi ones are also good!)
    -Brown rice
    -Lettuce
    -Onions
    -Red skin potatoes
    -Brussels sprouts
    -Asparagus

I also get Graze boxes 2 times a month, so that helps provide little snacks for work.

That will probably last me a couple weeks. I usually grocery shop 2-3 times a month, but it's just me and boyfriend... I do the cooking, it's easier that way. He's used to eating healthy by now :smile:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Agree 100%.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    300.JPG
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Looking for a reasonable healthy snacking and meal plan ideas and grocery list must haves for a mom of 2 My problem is knowing what I need to have daily on hand in my fridge and pantry for everyday eating...a good list so when I go to the store I know what to get

Hire a nutritionist
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    This is what I get every week

milk of choice
    eggs
    yogurt
    cottage cheese
    protein powder of choice
    lots and lots of veggies all the colors of the rainbow
    turkey, chicken, fish
    Lots and lots of fruit (sometimes i get frozen berries too)
    Jam (when I am out of homemade stuff)
    sauerkraut
    salsa
    avocado
    olive oil
    red wine vinegar
    lots of spices
    sugar free jello mix
    keifer
    Cheese
    Sometimes Jerky
    oats of choice (I currently have quick, old fashioned, barley, quinoa, steel cut and bulger in my pantry lol)
    Honey
    agave
    pure maple syrup

for my son in addition to above
    cereal
    potatoes
    milk (if i got milk that he won't drink)
    ice cream
    pudding snacks
    protein/granola bars
    baby carrots/celery sticks/sliced apples/etc..
    bread (usually rye)
    beans
    rice
    mac and cheese
    salami (ick!)
    Cheese sticks
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I agree with meal planning and buy around that... along with some fun snacks. That way you don't have food spoil and you know you don't have to run to the store to finish making something.

In the morning my usual meals are:
    - Oatmeal (old fashioned, 1/2 cup dry.. then cooked of course), with brown sugar (1 Tblsp), and 1/4 cup of milk.
    - Breakfast sandwich. 1 whole egg, or 1 egg + 1 egg white, 1/2 of 1/3 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, about 40 calories worth of ham (generally that means under an ounce), and a Thomas 100-Calorie high fiber muffin, toasted.
    - Egg omelette. 2 whole eggs or 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites. 1/2 of 1/3 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup fresh salsa, 1 Tblsp sour cream.

My shopping list for breakfast foods would be ingredients for salsa (tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, cilantro, apple cider vinegar, black pepper, salt, granulated garlic.. or to make sure I had enough of that stuff on hand), english muffins, mozzarella cheese, ham, milk, brown sugar, oatmeal, EGGS, sour cream.

Lunch - Generally I've been having open faced sandwhiches. Olive Oil mayo, chicken breast.. or other lean meat, green leaf lettuce, tomatoes, onions, salt and pepper. Today the plan is rock fish Civeche. I have lime (for the ranch dressing I make for dinner), and salsa (I already made for breakfast), black beans (I already made for dinner), the rock fish I had purchased for dinner.. but this sounds better.

Added to the shopping list would be bread that I can fit into my calories, olive oil mayo, chicken breast.. or other lean meat, lettuce, fish. The other stuff is already purchased.

Dinner - Lately have been eating brown rice with spinach, or baked potato with ranch, broccoli, and grilled meat.. beef steak mostly. Tonight the plan is black bean burgers (mixed 50/50 with ground beef). I can use the bread I bought for lunches, the onions and tomatoes I have on hand for salsa, it takes eggs.. I've got those on hand, cooked black beans (I did that a few days ago for this meal), mayo.. I have from the lunch plan.. ketchup and mustard.. hardly ever have to rebuy those.

Added to the shopping list is black beans, brown rice, spinach, potatoes, ingredients for ranch (parsley, fresh garlic, lime juice, white pepper, Worcestershire sauce, Parmesan cheese, and I have the other ingredients.. onions, sour cream, black pepper and salt)

Just for me, to remake my food this week:
    1 6-count package of Thomas English Muffins (will have some left over)
    3 dozen eggs (will have some left over)
    1 - 8 oz package of shredded mozzarella cheese
    1/2# ham (will have some left over)
    4# fresh tomatoes
    4# broccoli +
    3# onions
    3 jalapenos
    1 bunch of cilantro (will have 1/2 left over I will use the following week)
    1 bunch of parsley (will have 3/4 left over.. that I will dry and use in future weeks)
    Bunch of green leaf lettuce
    Small apple cider vinegar (will have plenty leftover)
    Granulated garlic
    salt
    black pepper
    white pepper
    Bottle of lime juice (will last us months)
    bottle of ketchup (kids usually use this up)
    Mustard (will last us months)
    milk
    sour cream
    brown sugar
    oatmeal
    Loaf of bread
    olive oil mayo,
    1# chicken breast.. or other lean meat,
    1/2# fish
    1/4# Ground beef
    1# Steaks
    Black Beans
    Brown Rice
    spinach (I get 1# bags of frozen for most things.. fresh goes bad so fast)
    potatoes
    1 fresh garlic bulb
    Worcestershire sauce
    Parmesan cheese

Also I've had 100-calorie fudge bars for dessert, and orange chocolate wedges.. and my coffee (takes sugar and half and half).

I think next week I'll add green bell peppers (for omelets and stir fry), fresh ginger, Chinese 5-spice, sesame seeds, sesame oil, soy sauce.. or stir fry. Served with brown rice and some kind of meat.. doesn't really matter the kind. Carrots, barley, celery, broccoli to use up some leftover beef steak in beef barley soup. If cabbage wasn't so crazy expensive I'd have one of those every week too.

Really, think about what you guys are going to eat and buy for that. I like the idea of shopping twice a week.. then you don't overfill you fridge and lose stuff and your fresh vegetables stay fresher before they are used, meat could go bad (especially thawed poultry)... then you have time to reevaluate what you need.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Bacon
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Totally seconding the ice cream sandwich idea! I buy the banana split ones for my son and me; we both love them and they're not calorically loaded at all.

Other than that I just do the basics.

FRESH: Spinach, tomatoes, avocados in season, sweet peppers, cucumbers, carrots, onions... sometimes potatoes, but not always. Squashes and zucchini. Spaghetti squash and parsnips. Sometimes some pre-made salads for convenience on long work days.

BUTCHER: Whatever meats look good and are affordable -- always chicken, but the red meat and pork vary depending on the sales. Pork loin roasts are great, as are huge New York strip steaks, ribeyes, or T-bones (just cut them into appropriate servings). Boneless, no-fat pork chops are a regular thing too. Usually some fish; I particularly love flounder at the moment. Scallops when I can afford them. Smoked salmon.

BREAD: Whole-grain sandwich and bagel thins, sometimes low-cal bread but not always, flatbread wraps when I can find them, light English muffins.

CANNED/JARRED: Tuna, sometimes flavored and sometimes not. Cans of broth-based, veggie-heavy soup sometimes. Low-sodium broth or stock. Good salsa and hot sauce (I like Cholula). Canned stewed tomatoes and pasta sauce (particularly pesto -- I find a little goes a long way). Salad dressing, usually Greek yogurt-based.

FROZEN: Tons of veg -- broccoli and cauliflower always, then just whatever looks good. Stir-fry mixes are always a hit. Brussels sprouts (I steam them, refrigerate them, then have them with a little salad dressing). Morningstar veggie burgers. Ice cream sandwiches and/or Yoplait Greek frozen yogurt bars.

DAIRY/DELI: Laughing Cow wedges, pre-sliced real cheese, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt in whatever flavors are appealing. Sometimes butter, but I don't use it often as I find it's not often truly necessary. Sliced deli meats, usually something low-cal like turkey or chicken, but sometimes I splurge on good salami, pastrami, or roast beef. Ham steaks for breakfast. String cheese for work snacks.

MISCELLANEOUS: Popcorn, popchips, rice cakes, almonds, pasta (only occasionally), bottled water (sparkling or still), diet sodas for the work fridge, tea bags, coffee, creamer (sometimes), lemon juice, and oddities like wild rice, fancy soup mixes from the local spendy grocery, etc.

... Wow, I buy a lot of food! But aside from the fresh, butcher, and frozen categories I don't tend to buy all of it at once.
  • hebrews11113
    Options
    WOW thank you sooooo much everyone...you are all awesome in my book!!!!!!!!!
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Well, I just went to the grocery store and I bought a selection of in-season fruit and vegetables plus bananas, some fresh meat, fish, whole milk, cheese, some healthy pre-made meals for the freezer for those days I just can't be bothered cooking, some canned tomatos, canned pineapple.

My pantry/fridge also has, a selection of nuts and seeds for snacks and salads, basil pesto, some pasta and cos cos that I go through really slowly now, chickpeas, kidney beans, frozen veges and lots of herbs and spices.

I like to have a mix of things I need to spend a while cooking and things I can make quickly so that I always have something depending on the day. Some days I just don't have the time/energy to cook, but when I do I like to make my food from scratch.
  • rayraex
    rayraex Posts: 50
    Options
    Basically, stick to parameter shopping. The produce, dairy and meats are all along the outside of the grocery store. I pretty much avoid the middle aisles where they put most of the processed foods.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hummus :))))