Diet recommendations???

Options
13»

Replies

• mckelly5
    Options
    Fair enough on the 'Message me' aspect. As far as everything else in your response - It was a diet recommendation, just as they had asked for. I don't sell it.
  • mckelly5
    Options
    I have been made aware of the rules that I have broken. My apologizes to everyone. I was seriously just trying to give a recommendation.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Dr. Ian's 6-Week SHRED program (http://www.amazon.com/Shred-Revolutionary-Weeks-Inches-Sizes/dp/1250038278/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1388676380&sr=8-1). I was a little hesitant at first, mainly because I'm skeptical of "fad diets," but a family member of mine SWEARS by Dr. Ian, and she actually has more trouble sticking to eating plans than most. I'm on my second week of the program and it really is great. Although it's designed so that you don't have to count calories, I still log everything I eat into MFP. I rarely eat more than 1300-1400 calories per day AND I never, ever, ever feel hungry. In fact, the plan has you eating so often, you feel like you're eating too much! It's also super flexible and allows you to cut out certain components of your meals if you feel like you don't need/want to eat that much. All in all, it's super do-able and I've felt great ever since I started it. I think it's also really good at training you in how to eat properly for weight loss/maintenance so that you don't gain everything you lost once you're finished with the program. You can even repeat it (the program is cyclical) or just repeat certain parts of it once you're finished with the entire 6-Week cycle. I highly recommend it. Good luck on your journey!

Haven't read the book, but did check it out on Amazon. I had to laugh at week 5 being titled Cleanse and week 6 titled Explode. Reminded me of my colonoscopy prep!
  • mckelly5
    Options
    Thank you.
  • mckelly5
    Options
    Can anyone please tell me how this post is any different than me being excited about something that did wonders for me?
    I'm currently doing Dr. Ian's 6-Week SHRED program (http://www.amazon.com/Shred-Revolutionary-Weeks-Inches-Sizes/dp/1250038278/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1388676380&sr=8-1). I was a little hesitant at first, mainly because I'm skeptical of "fad diets," but a family member of mine SWEARS by Dr. Ian, and she actually has more trouble sticking to eating plans than most. I'm on my second week of the program and it really is great. Although it's designed so that you don't have to count calories, I still log everything I eat into MFP. I rarely eat more than 1300-1400 calories per day AND I never, ever, ever feel hungry. In fact, the plan has you eating so often, you feel like you're eating too much! It's also super flexible and allows you to cut out certain components of your meals if you feel like you don't need/want to eat that much. All in all, it's super do-able and I've felt great ever since I started it. I think it's also really good at training you in how to eat properly for weight loss/maintenance so that you don't gain everything you lost once you're finished with the program. You can even repeat it (the program is cyclical) or just repeat certain parts of it once you're finished with the entire 6-Week cycle. I highly recommend it. Good luck on your journey!

Haven't read the book, but did check it out on Amazon. I had to laugh at week 5 being titled Cleanse and week 6 titled Explode. Reminded me of my colonoscopy prep!
  • StalgiaPasternak
    StalgiaPasternak Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all this great advice! I guess I want to cut out crap (or whatever you want to call it) just because I want my body to be rid of toxins as much as possible so that my next pregnancy and baby can be super healthy. My daughter is almost two and she is super healthy but it's really just lucky because I wasn't as health conscious as I could have been when I was pregnant last. I had horrible morning sickness, gained 75 pounds (30 never came off and I breastfed for 18 months) and was really uncomfortable.

I think because my cravings are largely based around my hormonal cycle (which has calmed down a lot now that I weaned 4 months ago) I want to try and rid my body of those cravings ahead of my next pregnancy when my hormones go wild again.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Oh yes and what do you think about this weight lifting for women thing? Do think I should start lifting weights now when I'm a chubster or should I wait until I've slimmed down a bit?

I've seen some amazing pictures on here of weight lifting women that have totally changed their body shapes!

good resources...

starting strength
    new rules of lifting for woman

I would recommend familiarizing yourself with compound movements - bench press, deadlift, barbell squat, overhead press, chin up/pull up - and then incorporate them into a three day a week routine with cardio on off days....once you drop some weight off you could go to more of an upper/lower split type workout with less cardio ...

do you have access to a gym?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Losing 10 pounds per month is a pretty lofty goal. Let's do the math...

1 month = (roughly) 4 weeks
    10 pounds/4 weeks = 2.5 pounds weight loss per week
    1 pound of fat = 3,500 calories.
    3,500 x 2.5 pound goal = 8,750 calorie deficit requirement per week
    8,750 calorie deficit / 7 days in the week = 1,250 calorie deficit per DAY

Your minimum calorie intake should be no less than 1200 calories to keep your metabolism from shutting down and going into "starvation mode" where it stores fat. Unless your body requires 2,500 calories per day to maintain your current weight, it's going to be damn near impossible to meet a 1250 calorie deficit each day. Good luck doing that for 6 months.

oh it must be the new year..

so lets just get this one out of the way right now..

You will not go into starvation mode consuming 1200 calories a day, or less than that...you would have to eat NOTHING for a prolonged period of AT LEAST 72 hours (probably more than that) to go into true starvation mode...

However, I agree that 60 pounds in six months is a little extreme...I would recommend 1 to 1.5 pound per week loss...
  • fitphoenix22
    Options
    I joined in with my girlfriends earlier this year and we did the "Shred" diet (not the same as Jillian Michael's 30 day shred). It was very effective for all of us... but you don't have to buy his book to do what he teaches you. He has you eating roughly 1200 calories and getting in 30-45 minutes of exercise each day. He teaches you how to eat small "snack size" meals instead of gorging on huge American-sized meals. The meal plans don't restrict carbs, which I liked - but it does require that your carbs be whole grains or sweet potatoes and you eat them mostly in the earlier part of the day.

Look, these are things you can do on your own, but he has a lot of great snack ideas and meal plans to follow. I would actually give this "diet" a thumbs up... but even Dr. Ian says it's a 6 week cycle, then you have to use what he's taught you to maintain your weightloss. You can repeat the 6 week cycle if you have more to lose, but it's not a long-term thing. It's still a diet that eventually you will have to manage on your own.
  • ndj1979
    Options

bahahahahahaha
  • ndj1979
    Options
    The meal plans don't restrict carbs, which I liked - but it does require that your carbs be whole grains or sweet potatoes and you eat them mostly in the earlier part of the day.

why do you only eat carbs early in the day?
  • fitphoenix22
    Options

Your minimum calorie intake should be no less than 1200 calories to keep your metabolism from shutting down and going into "starvation mode" where it stores fat. Unless your body requires 2,500 calories per day to maintain your current weight, it's going to be damn near impossible to meet a 1250 calorie deficit each day. Good luck doing that for 6 months.

You will not go into starvation mode consuming 1200 calories a day, or less than that...you would have to eat NOTHING for a prolonged period of AT LEAST 72 hours (probably more than that) to go into true starvation mode...

However, I agree that 60 pounds in six months is a little extreme...I would recommend 1 to 1.5 pound per week loss...

I'm not a newbie, so save me the self-proclaimed expert "advice". Do you really believe that eating less than 1200 calories is healthy? You're preaching for her to buy a book on weight lifting... how will she build muscle mass on less than 1200 calories? Brilliant.
  • fitphoenix22
    Options
    The meal plans don't restrict carbs, which I liked - but it does require that your carbs be whole grains or sweet potatoes and you eat them mostly in the earlier part of the day.

why do you only eat carbs early in the day?

I was explaining what the author encouraged. I eat carbs with all meals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    My recommendation:

Lose 1% of your body weight a week.

Eat in moderation ensuring you get in your correct percentages of macro/micro nutrients.

Eat about 20% less calorie than your TDEE.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ndj1979
    Options

I'm not a newbie, so save me the self-proclaimed expert "advice". Do you really believe that eating less than 1200 calories is healthy? You're preaching for her to buy a book on weight lifting... how will she build muscle mass on less than 1200 calories? Brilliant.

I was addressing your starvation mode comments, which are not correct. I never said that OP could build muscle eating less than 1200 calories, nor did I say that less than 1200 was healthy. I was also not recommending that she eat less than 1200 calories. I recommended the books, because the OP asked about weight lifting. Do you really think that weight lifting is ONLY for building muscle?
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all this great advice! I guess I want to cut out crap (or whatever you want to call it) just because I want my body to be rid of toxins as much as possible so that my next pregnancy and baby can be super healthy. My daughter is almost two and she is super healthy but it's really just lucky because I wasn't as health conscious as I could have been when I was pregnant last. I had horrible morning sickness, gained 75 pounds (30 never came off and I breastfed for 18 months) and was really uncomfortable.

I think because my cravings are largely based around my hormonal cycle (which has calmed down a lot now that I weaned 4 months ago) I want to try and rid my body of those cravings ahead of my next pregnancy when my hormones go wild again.

Just a little story my youngest will be 3 in March so that means I went thru every holiday from Halloween thru New Years and I ate poorly compared to my older daughter and guess what shes just as healthy as her older sister...I understand how you feel and what you want to do but my best advice is to ask a dietician or a nutritionist.... I dont know where you are located but in the US we have whats called WIC. If you can get onto it and theyll give you healthy foods for you and your baby
  • StalgiaPasternak
    StalgiaPasternak Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your advice! I think I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by my goal so I think I'll cut it down to 30 pounds in 4 months. At that point, I should be feeling a lot better and I'll be able to really increase my activity level. Right now I feel so big and uncomfortable I'm finding it difficult to get into exercise. Even Yoga feels like a workout where as just a year ago (one year postpartum) I would be able to do a 90 hot yoga class easily. So it's not even just a fat thing it's an activity. I guess that's why I'm wondering if I should be focusing on weight lifting, cardio, or a combo of both. I've just seen these posts by people who only weight lift who looks AMAZING and I think man if I could just lift 3 times a week and look like that I'd be a happy camper!