Bagel topping suggestions please!

Options
Hi everyone

So one of my favourite things to eat is a wholewheat bagel with smoked salmon and cream cheese on one half and sun pat peanut butter on the other. However over the past few months I had really bad acne on my chin and jawbone, I tried to think what I'd been doing new in that time and the only thing I can think of is introducing the peanut butter ...so I googled it. Turns out a lot of people find peanut butter causes bad breakouts in the same areas.

As a result I immediately stopped eating the peanut butter and straight away noticed an improvement in my skin. Have barely had a spot since! However in its absence I need a substitute. Over the Christmas period when I was less conscious of healthy eating I switched to Nutella. This was nice but don't enjoy as much as peanut butter and also going forward it's more than 50% sugar so can't be eating that stuff.

The next idea was almond butter but I didn't enjoy that at all. Just tried free-nut butter I.e. Peanut butter substitute made from sun flower seeds. This was quite nice but still not peanut butter and given the amount of calories in it I've got to really enjoy it to justify eating it and don't think I do.

So with those failures in mind I'm wondering if people can recommend a good topping for the other half of my bagel? To fit with my macros it's got to have protein and very little sugar.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Avocado, maybe? I don't generally eat bagels, but I do like them toasted with Muenster cheese. Maybe a slice of tomato and Muenster toasted.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Egg, cheese and bacon.
  • Melissa132129
    Melissa132129 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    When I buy bagel thins (which isn't that often) I love the "everything" kind. I top mine with any flavor of laughing cow cheese, avacado and sliced tomatoes. I put a little salt and pepper on top as well. Sometimes when I have spinach I add that on top too. I usually eat this for lunch though, not breakfast.
  • Ringleader50
    Ringleader50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I learned to eat bagels with cottage cheese, which has protein. I know it doesn't sound good, like peanut butter, but you can get used to it.
  • TanzaMarie
    TanzaMarie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hummus and tomato is my new bagel obsession. The heat from the bagel with the coolness of the tomoato...so good!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat the salmon-topped half? A whole bagel (at least the ones I buy) has a ton of calories, mostly empty. Or if you must have a whole bagel, why not top both halves with salmon? Or if it has to be sweet, use some cinnamon and Splenda?
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    avocado and tomato
    cinnamon and sugar
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I like mine with a wedge of Laughing a Cow Queso Fresco cheese. I also like it with coconut oil, but that doesn't fit your specs.
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Honey?
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    cashew butter>peanut butter
  • kelseyjsnyder
    kelseyjsnyder Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I put 3 slices of roast beef (30 calories) an egg (I do mine over easy cause that's what i like) and provolone cheese. Mmmmmmm love it!!!!
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Don't often eat bagels but when I do I like to top them with hummus, roasted eggplant, and sundried(not oil packed) tomato
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest hummus.
  • AsparagusFinch
    AsparagusFinch Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Cream cheese, nutella and strawberries … which doesn't fit with what you sued at all, but I felt like sharing nonetheless :P
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    egg salad, tuna salad, whitefish salad. Or, you can just take the lox and lettuce, tomato, onions, and cream cheese off the bagel, and save 300+ calories and 60+ grams of carbs...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    There's a greek yogurt cream cheese I love: http://www.franklinfoods.com/greek-cream-cheese. There's a garlic herb flavor that's great for a more savory flavor.
  • Roz2889
    Roz2889 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions! Got plenty to work through so will hopefully find some yummy alternatives.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Bagels were made for cream cheese and gravlox.......all the rest is window dressing.:happy: