anyone heard of dietworks and the zig-zag calorie system?

Options
i've been reading some about the calorie intake system known as zig-zagging. it's where you take in the same calories per week but vary amount by day so you don't plateau or go into starve mode. anyone tried it? kinda making sense to me.

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Yep this is factual and vital in helping to keep from plateauing. Keeps your metabolism guessing and rut free!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a simple technique that you can use to get out of a plateau. So say, one day take in 1200 calories, then 1600, 1400, up to 2200, 1200, 1600, 1400. It confuses your body out of a plateau. That's why it also makes sense to change up our workouts daily.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    ive use this tons during my journey.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of it, but I do something sort of similar- I intentionally go over or stay under my cals by 1-200 a couple times a week.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    There are a number of zig-zag systems around. Something called carb cycling is really popular in the bodybuilding community for it's ability to shed fat without taking muscle mass. The idea is the same; keeping the metabolism from downshifting as a result of consuming under maintanence levels. I tried carb cycling while maintaining my caloric intake and didn't see any special results, but I haven't tried zig-zagging calories.

My thing is, while using MFP I've had days where I ate 1700 calories, and days where I've eaten 2500 calories. Basically, I've just tried to make sure at the end of the week I've had the right 3500 cal deficit, and I've always lost. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but it always averaged out.

What I'm saying is, if you try to stick AROUND your goal, without being obsessive about how close you are every single day, it's basically a zig-zag style diet. I don't know how I'd feel about consciously trying to do a low cal/mid cal/high cal 3 day system or something to that affect. That level of attempted control would drive me kookoo bananas.
  • shintowa
    Options
    I've tried both non zig-zag and zig-zag. While non zig-zag is easier to remember how much to eat a day, I think the zig-zag method overall is easier to stick to, and helps with plateaus better, at least for my body. The reason I think it is easier to stick to is because you can set your really high day to the day of the week that you need it the most (Fridays out with friends for me), and then the lower days to days you don't need the food as much because of distractions (work, for instance). Because I can set the days that I go over, it doesn't feel like every day is a diet day, but the week is still the same net loss for calories.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Zig-zag helped me lose those last 8-10 pounds without much struggle.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Zig zagging doesn't make any sense at all to me. It sounds like another complicated fad diet.

Firstly, your metabolism doesn't have a brain. So its not going to be "guessing" at what you are going to eat next or when. All your metabolism does is respond to what you ate when you've eaten. It doesn't pass judgment in advance. So if you eat over your calories or under eat your calories your body will act accordingly.

Also "confusing" your body would likely increase weight gain not help with weight loss. Your body holds onto calories as long as possible when it isn't fed on a regular and consistent basis. This has been proven scientifically over and over again. The best thing you can do for your body is to feed it healthy choices every 4 hours or so. This is what most doctors, dieticians and naturopaths recommend for optimum health and optimum weightloss.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    There was a book about this @ Borders Express the other day... I thumbed through it.. but didn't read much. I have heard of it before this.. I think it's with any other diet... if you follow it to the T you probably will have success with it.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I plateaued last month from not taking in enough. I'm zig zagging now and losing again.
  • edorice
    Options
    Zig zagging doesn't make any sense at all to me. It sounds like another complicated fad diet.

Firstly, your metabolism doesn't have a brain. So its not going to be "guessing" at what you are going to eat next or when. All your metabolism does is respond to what you ate when you've eaten. It doesn't pass judgment in advance. So if you eat over your calories or under eat your calories your body will act accordingly.

Also "confusing" your body would likely increase weight gain not help with weight loss. Your body holds onto calories as long as possible when it isn't fed on a regular and consistent basis. This has been proven scientifically over and over again.

It's not a fad. You eat your regular food. I eat six times a day, so i'm not starving my body. The point is to jump start your calorie intake. Some people can do cheat days once a week and still lose weight. Why??? Probably because of the increase in calories for that day, shaking things up a bit. When I increase my calories it is on a day where I'm working out more. On the days that I burn 400 calories lifting weights I may eat 1500 calories. On the days that I burn 700-1000 doing weights and cardio I will increase my intake to 1700-1900 calories for that day.
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Personally, I ONLY zig-zag when I hit a plateau (which lately is about every 10 lbs or so) I don't recommend it all the time, but if you are losing consistently and then hit a wall it does "trick" the system a bit. Maybe it is all in the head, but it seems to work for me!
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options

Also "confusing" your body would likely increase weight gain not help with weight loss. Your body holds onto calories as long as possible when it isn't fed on a regular and consistent basis. This has been proven scientifically over and over again. The best thing you can do for your body is to feed it healthy choices every 4 hours or so. This is what most doctors, dieticians and naturopaths recommend for optimum health and optimum weightloss.

i have to disagree. it kinda like if you up your cardio and the scale stall you eat more and you start losing weight. science says alot of course there are things that are against the rules of science as well. how come just exercising and cutting calories work for some but don't work for all?? again science always has an exceptions to the rule i will always belive that everybody different despite what been proven i mean in reality there are tons of studies that have been "proven" which goes back to saying different strokes for different folks and everyone has to find what works for them may it be though lower carbs lower fat lower whatever. so just like healthy eating and exerscing works for someone there are other methonds that also has been "proven it works" point find what works for you :)
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    There are a number of zig-zag systems around. Something called carb cycling is really popular in the bodybuilding community for it's ability to shed fat without taking muscle mass. The idea is the same; keeping the metabolism from downshifting as a result of consuming under maintanence levels. I tried carb cycling while maintaining my caloric intake and didn't see any special results, but I haven't tried zig-zagging calories.

I heard mostly about carb cycling (I subscribe to Muscle & Fitness & M&F Hers) and it works well for the professionals, both men and women.

Thanks for bringing this topic up. It's nice to remember bits of knowledge I've forgotten about. :-)
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hey folks,
    I'm entitled to my opinion just like you are entitled to yours.
    We don't have to agree.
  • suzukigrl
    Options
    thanks, everyone. appreciate the input. what i've done lately has not been working so it won't hurt to give it a try. good luck to everyone.
  • edorice
    Options
    Hey folks,
    I'm entitled to my opinion just like you are entitled to yours.
    We don't have to agree.

Very true. Just trying to explain how it works within your established diet.