Do you count Tea in your water?

Options
I haven't been counting it, but I drink 2 cups of Green Tea everyday atleast. Should I count these in my water intake or not?

Replies

• ravenla
    ravenla Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I DO!!!!!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I dont. Dont cheat the system. it will cost you
  • connielicious
    Options
    Absolutely. Green tea counts.
  • foxylady8098
    Options
    Caffeine actually dehydrates you, so I wouldn't count tea as water.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I always count herbal tea, but since green tea has some caffeine I don't know if that skews it at all? I do count it, but I always wonder.
  • DonnaMaas
    Options
    I have always heard thats anything you drink that has 0 calories you can count. Personally I can't stand drinking water unless I am really thirsty. I drink alot of tea made with sweet n low and I would count that.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I drink 3 or 4 cups of green tea a day and I don't count it. I also drink 10-15 cups of water too!

Karen
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I have always heard thats anything you drink that has 0 calories you can count. Personally I can't stand drinking water unless I am really thirsty. I drink alot of tea made with sweet n low and I would count that.

That would mean coke 0 would be considered water replacement and that is just flat out incorrect. It's horrible for you plus anything with caffeine, including green tea, is a diuretic. And the more you drink, the more you're going to feel it.

Herbal tea without milk or sugar? Maybe.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is that any non-caffeinated liquid that doesn't have anything added to it counts as water.

I count water and decaf tea in the colder months. Mostly because I know I need to keep hydrated but my desire to drink just plain water is gone. I try and make sure at least 1/2 of my water count for the day is actually water and aim to get 100+ ounces of water/decaf tea a day. In the summer, I only count water as water.
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    I drink decaf tea...I count it as water.
  • shintowa
    Options
    The rule that I've heard is count non-caffeine, don't count caffeine. Because your body uses up water when you drink caffeine it is essentially a net loss, but herbals without caffeine, or caffeine free drinks, you don't need to use the water in them to process what isn't there.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    nope, i don't, but i totally should. i don't add anything to it but splenda.
  • robin1963
    robin1963 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recently had a stay in the hospital because I was so dehydrated and I drink 64 oz of green tea a day. To my shock the doctor told me tea doesn't count as water. Even Green. I struggle with water even if I try to doctor it up with lemon or something but have to say that the week or so after leaving the hospital and I was drinking water I didn't have the foggy medicine head feeling. Now I'm falling back into bad habits and starting to tell it's taking a toll on me.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've read that it is okay to count tea TOWARD your water, as long as you don't count it for all your water. That being said, I tried doing that for about a week, and frankly, I had a very bad week. I was still drinking about 4 cups of "real" water, and using the rest in tea, etc. Yeah. I'm back to drinking water, even though I hate it. I play water games: you can't have anything to eat until you drink a glass of water. You can't have a cup of coffee until you drink a cup of water. It works for me.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I make sure it's 100% green tea...no additives or caffeine...if it is than i count it as water...but i also log my scootch of honey i use to sweeten it...if it's regular tea with sweet and low and creamer...then i log it as tea not water
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    nope I don't count my Lipton Green Tea or my Splenda. I just burned those calories typing this out.
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat the small stuff and I drink mainly tea throughout the day and just count my milk allowance. Happily losing weight still.
  • o2blori
    o2blori Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input. I still drink my normal intake of water, but didn't know whether to add this on top. I think I will not add it. :happy: