Chinese Buffet

Options
My husband's boss is taking us out to lunch tomorrow at an all you can eat Chinese Buffet. I need help on what to eat and what to stay away from.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Avoid breaded things like orange chicken, sweet and sour pork and go for beef and broccoli, shrimp dishes (not the breaded and fried stuff) Sesame chicken is good too.

Rigger
  • Samthefrog
    Samthefrog Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Try Shrimp with Snow Peas (or any shrimp stir fry with veggies). I find that to be the best caloriewise. Also any clear (like a simple egg drop or miso) soups at the beginning would help fill you up. I sometimes try stir-fried veggies as a base instead of rice or noodles (to save some calories). Also, some Chinese buffets will have a piece of baked or steamed salmon or fish. Eat that!

Good luck and yummy eating!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    My husband's boss is taking us out to lunch tomorrow at an all you can eat Chinese Buffet. I need help on what to eat and what to stay away from.

Any suggestions?

The same things you ate before, only less of it.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Eat the food. Whatever kinds you want. Don't overstuff yourself. Get in an extra workout or two this week. Have a light dinner. Don't eat like that again for a while. One meal won't kill your goals.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Any suggestions?

The same things you ate before, only less of it.
    WE have a winner. You're creating far more stress thinking about what you eat, than actually doing it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I would definitely follow others' idea of veggie dishes, chicken or shrimp (or a bit of both), and no rice. And for the record I'm not a "carbs are evil" person, I love rice. If you like cashew or sweet n' sour chicken buffets can be hard since the sauce isn't always on the side. I'd steer clear of those unless the sauce was separate and VERY LIGHTLY sauce a smallish portion of the breaded, fried chicken in that case...probably best to avoid the fried chicken bits altogether but I think they're yummy and a little of it doesn't hurt.

If there's sushi on the buffet, I may opt to do a small bowl of soup and sample some sushi instead.
  • christinemadden0223
    christinemadden0223 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Oh the chinese buffet....one of my favorites! Unfortunately most of the food is on my naughty list- try to avoid too much fried food but have a spring roll or piece of crab ragoon if you really love it! Mine has a salad bar and fresh sushi so I try to start with a big green salad and 2-3 pieces of sushi (ones with veggies and fish- brown rice if possible- not "tepura" aka fried) and then use a desert plate for anything else I want to sample. It gets me very full, keeps my cals in check and guarantees I still enjoy what I'm eating!
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Eat the food. Whatever kinds you want. Don't overstuff yourself. Get in an extra workout or two this week. Have a light dinner. Don't eat like that again for a while. One meal won't kill your goals.

^^^This^^^
  • christinemadden0223
    christinemadden0223 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    dessert* lol
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    White rice instead of fried is a good start.... the unfried versions are probably the best. Everything really has sodium and things that will throw you off if you really count. Just take a small bit of each thing you want to try and do an extra workout. One big meal isn't going to mess you up that much.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    From your photo, it would appear you can run marathons.

Eat what you like, without stuffing your face, and slot in an extra run for the week.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options

I am all about this. I never freak out over one meal .. unless you consume 10,000+ calories in one sitting, it is hardly an issue.
  • jarredondo
    jarredondo Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    From your photo, it would appear you can run marathons.

Eat what you like, without stuffing your face, and slot in an extra run for the week.

I did run my first marathon last year.... I also gained almost 20 pounds... apparently can't just eat what i would like :-)

I am not trying to stress over what I am eating, I do want to start making better choices. Not depriving myself just being smarter and more aware.
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i'd agree with just practicing portion control, only i'd try to double up on my water intake the rest of the day. the gain seen from chinese food isn't generally a real gain, it's water retention from the sodium.