Whey Protein

Options
Girls that drink Whey Protein, which protein do you drink, how much and what has it helped you achieve? (ex: weight loss, etc)

My sister in law is complaining that now that I drink Whey protein, that i'm going to get big and bulky like a guy. There's no way in hell unless I take steroids or something. Please Comment. Thanks.

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I drink ON Gold Standard whey protein powder with 2% milk. You're not going to get big and bulky if you eat in a calorie deficit. Some people just can't grasp that.

Is this in the Success Stories page by accident?
  • LKuderna
    LKuderna Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have used the Muscle Milk (from Costco) and the EAS vanilla brand, Muscle Milk has more in it. I was using a scoopful to make a smoothie for after excercise (with berries, a little yogurt, etc.) but found that it made me nauseated. (I gave it a good try, at least a couple of months if not longer). It is not going to make you big and bulky but you may not need that much extra protein unless your diet is deficient or you are doing extreme exercise (with muscke breakdown). I am also looking forward to what the other posters have to say on this topic (I'm a swimmer and I do a strength program twice a week, not huge lifting). Thank You!
  • justinproulx1
    Options
    same brand for me and +1 you dont get big from whey protein you get bigger from eating in a caloric surplus. Hoenstly to eat the right amount of maccors for otpimal fat loss. You will have to eat too much whole food than most people have the time for. Which is why Whey is used to supplement a good diet. Also stick to Whey isolates not garbage ones like Muscle Milk and EAS etc. You dont want whey from concentrate.
    I drink ON Gold Standard whey protein powder with 2% milk. You're not going to get big and bulky if you eat in a calorie deficit. Some people just can't grasp that.

Is this in the Success Stories page by accident?
  • adpatrick92
    adpatrick92 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    No, I was wanting to hear other people's success stories drinking whey and hopefully if there's any pictures. Sorry for the confusion.
  • adpatrick92
    adpatrick92 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Right now i'm using Whey Isolates :) thanks everyone! Hopefully someone on here has pictures.
  • roz250
    roz250 Posts: 23
    Options
    I LOVE my protein. I use it because getting 150-200g of protein is nearly impossible for me any other way. I use GNC's Wheybolic 60 Ripped at breakfast and lunch and regular Wheybolic 60 (no caffeine) post workout. Many here don't like GNC's proteins, but it's what is available local to me (the store is only a few blocks away), it's yummy, and it doesn't irritate my stomach, so I'll continue to shell out the cash for it.

Pictures of the first 4ish weeks I've been using protein, logging food and working out with a trainer.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/photos/view/49525234
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    Whey protein is a great way to meet your macros. I try to get about 150g of protein everyday, and sometimes by the end of the day I'm scavenging to get my last 20-30 g of protein for the day. And that's where my protein shake comes in! I've used numerous brands from BSN Syntha-6 (which is absolutely delicious by the way...just too much fat for my liking in a protein), Cellucor Molten Milk Chocolate (also very delicious) and Muscletech Phase 8 (my least favorite, very gritty tasting).
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I do the chocolate Whey protein powder for about 6-8 months now.

<
    See photos. :happy:
  • LKuderna
    LKuderna Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    So, is the ON Gold Standard the best whey protein supplement? Let me know, maybe I'll try it again if the Muscle MIlk (the other one I tried was Body Fortress, not sure if it's the same as EAS, but if they're junk I don't want to use them). Thank you for your advice. From what I'm reading, I could probably use a little of this after my workouts. :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    So, is the ON Gold Standard the best whey protein supplement? Let me know, maybe I'll try it again if the Muscle MIlk (the other one I tried was Body Fortress, not sure if it's the same as EAS, but if they're junk I don't want to use them). Thank you for your advice. From what I'm reading, I could probably use a little of this after my workouts. :)

I've never tried Muscle Milk, but the ON Gold Standard protein powder is the best for the price, in my opinion. It's easily accessible too, since it's sold at Walmarts and most grocery chains. It's a lot of protein with not a lot of carbs, so it is an easy way to balance out my macros since I'm a carb freak. I just mix mine with milk to taste better. Don't think I could ever drink it with water.
  • ellybeann
    ellybeann Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have 1 scoop of Coastal Pro or Dymatize Elite with 8-12oz water and 1 serving of PB 2, the brownie fudge with the pb 2 is DELICIOUS and it seems to keep me satisified after a really hard workout, thats when Im usually starving.
  • Teenie71
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MLIF8Y/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this one from Swanson, has 1g carbs, 20g protein, .5g fat and 90 cals and less than one gram of sugar. its plain vanilla but you can add it to smoothies and stuff
  • fitwithwhit88
    fitwithwhit88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    In general, protein powder helps me stay fuller longer and definitely helps with recovery after a tough, muscle taxing workout. Also makes for a good "guilt-free" post dinner snack/dessert.

Full list of brands I've tried include:
    --Body Fortress (Chocolate PB - delish, especially if making a shake with a frozen banana and/or PB2 added, Strawberry - tastes great!, Cookies N' Cream - doesn't really taste like Oreos or anything, oddly, tastes more like coconut to me, but still good!, and Vanilla. They also make a Vanilla isolate which tastes great and has more protein and even fewer carbs).
    --Bodylogix (from Meijer, Vanilla - awesome flavor. Probably my favorite powder of those I've tried thus far. A bit pricier, at around $20-$22 for 2lbs., but worth it! High protein to carb/fat ratio)
    -- Designer Whey (Vanilla - okay, but not really my favorite, even if it only contains 100 calories/scoop)
    --Generic Meijer store brand (Chocolate and Vanilla - these are okay if you're on a tight budget, but definitely not my top pick)
    -- Muscle Milk (Graham Cracker - INSANELY good flavor. Does contain more fat and carbs than most traditional whey proteins)
    -- Syntha 6 (Cake Batter - wouldn't recommend this one. Flavor seemed off to me and has composition similar to Muscle Milk. If the flavor was better, I'd take it, but since it's not, I'd prefer a powder with a higher protein ratio to carbs/fat.

I've heard lots of great things about Optimum Nutrition and plan to purchase that brand next. From what I've read, this is probably your best value powder in terms of grams of protein per dollar.

After puchasing as many powders as I have, I now order pretty much all my protein from Vitacost. Definitely the most bang for your buck and super fast shipping. Also, if you purchase through the following link, you'll receive $10 off your order of $30 or more (full disclosure - I also receive a credit for the referral, but, hey, we both win!) Hope this helps! https://www.vitacostrewards.com/jpI3EaR
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I order a whey protein from Vitacost. I drink it after I workout. I need the cals after I exercise, and I need it to meet my protein goals, particularly on the days that I use weights.

Whey won't make you big like a man. I think she is confusing it with testosterone. Whey is from milk.
  • roz250
    Options
    The reason many (myself included) dislike Muscle Milk, EAS and the like are because of the fat/carb content and because of the type of protein they contain. Most of the time it's whey protein concentrate, which isn't as good for post-workout absorption (isolate is easier for your body to get to your muscles), concentrate also contains lactose, which can irritate some people's digestive systems.
  • wanderingpilgrim
    wanderingpilgrim Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Just curious to know and understand: why are whey isolates superior to whey from concentrate?

(Oh, and PS to the lady who posted this thread: NO- whey protein will NOT make you look bulky! If you are eating right, your body will be toned and strong, you will have definition...not bulk!) :smile:
    same brand for me and +1 you dont get big from whey protein you get bigger from eating in a caloric surplus. Hoenstly to eat the right amount of maccors for otpimal fat loss. You will have to eat too much whole food than most people have the time for. Which is why Whey is used to supplement a good diet. Also stick to Whey isolates not garbage ones like Muscle Milk and EAS etc. You dont want whey from concentrate.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Whey Isolates. My favorite flavors are Double Chocolate, Extreme Chocolate, and Rocky Road.

I use it to help me meet my protein macros.

ETA: You aren't going to get pictures of those successful with their progress due to a protein powder because it isn't the powder that does anything but help meet protein and calorie goals.

Also no, protein powders has nothing to do with "bulkiness". Unless you are adding steroids to your routine, you aren't going to get bulky from protein powders or strength training.
  • roz250
    Options
    Just curious to know and understand: why are whey isolates superior to whey from concentrate?

Isolates are more easily absorbed and used by your muscles (better for pre and post workout), also, they don't contain lactose.

Concentrates are slower digesting (better for meal-replacement) and contain lactose, so can cause stomach upset.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!