30 day shread in the AM: Whey protein shake before or after?

Options
I am going to start doing Jillian Michaels 30 days shread in the morning when I first wake up. I have whey protein powder with 25g of protein and 8g of carbs. Should I drink a shake before or after the workout to burn the most fat?

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Do what ever works for you.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. The protein shake doesn't help you burn fat, your caloric deficit does. The protein shake helps to make sure you meet your protein macro for muscle health.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I personally can't work out if I've just eaten, even if it is just a shake or smoothie.

I get up and work out first thing and then have my protein smoothie about an hour later.

So, I would say whatever works for you, but it you drink it before you work out give yourself some time to digest and your stomach to settle so you don't get sick.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. The protein shake doesn't help you burn fat, your caloric deficit does. The protein shake helps to make sure you meet your protein macro for muscle health.
  • estey89
    estey89 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I drink mine after. There is a lot of Jumping jacks, butt kicks, and up and downs... I try not to eat an hour before the video haha Like swimming can give you a cramp
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

^All this right here.
  • kt_731
    kt_731 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Alright, awesome. Thanks!
  • Charweezie
    Charweezie Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the 30day shred today also!!.. i take my protein shakes after my workout.. you'll be too full if you drink it before.. in my opinion.. goodluck!
  • Mullerboy
    Options
    I would personally suggest drinking the shake post workout as your muscles will require the protein for repair and growth. Also working out early in the morning is a known method for increasing the bodies fat burning mechanism. You could fire it up more by having a black coffee or green tea pre workout. Also try to drink the protein shake within 15mins of your workout ending as this is when the body is geared to use your calories for replenish glycogen stores so your recovery time will be quicker
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It's not going to make a lick of difference in fat burning when you have the protein, have it whenever it makes you feel the best. Personally I would choose after, because I get nauseated be-bopping around with protein in my belly.
  • saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options
    I always have a fruit before I work out , like a bananna for energy, and after a protein shake to build and repair muscle tissue
  • kt_731
    kt_731 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Mullerboy
    Options
    It will make a difference to recovery though
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Glycogen recompensation will still occur even if the post workout shake is skipped, as long as the user eats a reasonable amount of carbohydrate before the next training bout. For most people, training once per day with some food between training bouts is sufficient.

Trainees who both:
    A) deplete glycogen
    And
    B) perform multiple glycogen depleting events in succession

need precisely timed nutrients for glycogen recompensation.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    After. There is a lot of bouncing.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Will it? Really? For 30DS?
  • Mullerboy
    Options
    You are correct glycogen stores will still be restored if you skip the shake and eat later but this is much less efficient and will take longer. I'm sure most people who workout consume food within minutes of finishing their routine so they can be in the best condition possible for their next bout of exercise!
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    You are correct glycogen stores will still be restored if you skip the shake and eat later but this is much less efficient and will take longer. I'm sure most people who workout consume food within minutes of finishing their routine so they can be in the best condition possible for their next bout of exercise!

......no
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

My point is that by the time the next training bout occurs, glycogen status will be sufficient whether a post workout shake is consumed or not, provided the trainee is eating food between training bouts. Almost everyone does this.

There is no urgency to replete glycogen unless you immediately need it to train again the same day.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

This.

And do you even need a protein shake...can you not meet your protein with food?