Trying to find walking in the exercises and no luck

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    According to the Mayo Clinic the Average person (of about 160 pounds) burns 314 calorie of walking PER HOUR.

And that includes BMR/RMR - the actual walking part only accounts for about half of that.
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My fitbit has been a great help to me. I don't have to calculate how many minutes or how fast I went. I've been using it for 7 months and I highly recommend it.

God bless,
    Karen
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Are you really wanting to count walking as an intentional exercise? Shouldn't that be included in your TDEE (or your maintenance calories?).

I personally wouldn't count walking as this could lead to over eating the estimated calories back and undoing your calorie deficit.

:laugh: Ok.

Hhhhmmmmm......I been walking since I started this weight loss, I wonder how I loss the 102 pounds!!! :happy:

I'll go on a limb here and suggest that it might have had something to do with how many calories you ate.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Are you really wanting to count walking as an intentional exercise? Shouldn't that be included in your TDEE (or your maintenance calories?).

I personally wouldn't count walking as this could lead to over eating the estimated calories back and undoing your calorie deficit.

What on earth is wrong with walking for exercise?

Not everyone can suddenly incoporate a high impact full on workout schedule, people need to start somewhere and that is based on where their current fitness/health levels are.

There are lots of options for walking in the database, they have different walking speeds to choose from
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Hhhhmmmmm......I been walking since I started this weight loss, I wonder how I loss the 102 pounds!!! :happy:

I'll go on a limb here and suggest that it might have had something to do with how many calories you ate.

Both had a lot to do with my weight loss, but to say walking isn't exercise is ridiculous, I can't run as i have issues with my knees. I walk approx. 6 miles at around 4 mph, burn approx. 700 calories according to my fitbit. Ohhh and I do weight lifting also, but started this a year ago. :smile:
  • tobefitfifty
    Options
    Walking is definitely there with a number of options.....just search on "walk".

From an earlier response yes you should include walking if it gets your heart rate going. The rule of thumb I use is any activity consistent for 20 mins where you could JUST ABOUT hold a conversation.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Walking is in there under "Cardiovascular". In fact you can copy paste any of the below to find 'em:

Walking, 3.5 mph, brisk pace
    Walking, 2.5 mph, leisurely pace
    Walking, 3.5 mph, brisk pace
    Walking, 3.5 mph, uphill

I'll go in the middle of what others have said. I *do* count my walking as most of it's done on machines...so in other words, I know EXACTLY how long and EXACTLY what speed and EXACTLY what incline. But if I also supplemented it with walking around my neighborhood, since I'm cheap and don't have Fitbit OR a Smartphone, I wouldn't count it in my MFP tracking and just consider it a "pleasant surprise" if I ended up with a little extra dropping off on weigh day.

New Year's resolution: Take myself a "before" picture so I have something to compare to...I've neglected to do this thus far. (I'm not TECHNICALLY a resolutioner....I've been here a coupla months now...but I'm getting ready to start 101 Things in 1001 Days and really need to do this anyway :laugh: )
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I walk approx. 6 miles at around 4 mph, burn approx. 700 calories according to my fitbit.

Unless you are 400 pounds, your FitBit is waaaaay over-estimating.

Net burn from walking = 0.3 * miles walked * body weight in pounds.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    I thought the OP meant that he/she was looking for "walking up stairs" in the database and couldn't find it. Am I the only one that read it that way?
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's kind of hard to tell, they talk about finding jogging up stairs but can't find walking..does that mean just general walking or walking up stairs.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    I walk approx. 6 miles at around 4 mph, burn approx. 700 calories according to my fitbit.

^^^^
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I beg to differ. Walking DOES count. Any activity that you start doing that is NOT part of your usual routine DOES COUNT! I started off with a Leslie Sansone video and she helped me a lot. Each time I pushed myself to go harder and longer and it really worked. So, if you're talking about that, then look up her videos! Kind of unclear about what you're talking about, but oh well, it's helpful information to others anyway! Good luck!
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I thought the OP meant that he/she was looking for "walking up stairs" in the database and couldn't find it. Am I the only one that read it that way?

I read it that way, too, TBH. As per the internet, the thread took on a life of its own! :laugh:
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Edit: Should probably have paid more attention the the OP before riding the misread-train that often happens. :laugh:

Yeah, Jogging (up stairs) is in the database. For walking, type "walking" in the Cardiovascular search. Assume that estimate is a little overblown, I would log only a percentage of what MFP tells you it burns, their estimates can be much too high. If you did that and no results came up make sure you didn't accidentally search in the strength training database.
  • 1Lightstep
    1Lightstep Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm brand new here and was able to find jogging up stairs but typing in walking into the box found no matches. Huh? I thought MFP was supposed to be easy to use, but not so far.

Welcome to MFP.

There is a running/jogging upstairs in the database, just type stairs to find it.

Walking is a great form of exercise and can be found in the cardio exercises http://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/search. In addition, you can create your own by clicking on 'Add an exercise to the database'.

I am still fairly new here myself but I can tell you the MFP website is a very useful tool and gets a lot easier with regular use. It gets quicker to use when you have already input regular meals and exercise you can add to your daily diary rather than searching for them.

I have read some of the comments on this thread. I believe walking is a valuable form of exercise, for fitness as well as weight loss.

I walk outside and I also use a treadmill and use my pedometer and my treadmill stats to accurately assess the calories burned. My pedometer and treadmill figures are almost identical and about half the calories of those shown in the database, so I have added walking in my MFP exercise database, which varies by average speed, to give a more accurate assessment than using a generic one.

Walking is my main form of exercise and for anyone starting off from a place of little or no activity it is a great place to start. Additional walking can be easily incorporated into most people's day. It is free, can be done anywhere at any time and you can do it while carrying out your normal daily tasks too.

I started off by aiming to get in my 10,000 steps a day and now do that very easily. My fitness level has increased, my clothes size has gone down, my weight is reducing and I can walk further and enjoy the walk rather than thinking about getting to the end of it.

Since starting to use the MFP website, I have reduced my calories and increased my exercise in my goals several times. Each time I do it is with a better understanding of what my body needs to improve my fitness and reduce my weight.

I think reviewing your goals as you go along is beneficial, as your weight changes, your fitness changes and your understanding and expectations change.

As far as the comment on cleaning is concerned. I feel that any exercise is better than no exercise. Being on my feet does me more good than sitting. For some of us, just getting up and getting moving is a big thing and in those cases, every movement helps.

I count in my calorie burn any exercise that makes me breath harder, get warmer and where my body feels like is has been moving. So I would not include a small time spent in the kitchen washing up or a quick mop of the floor but I would include cleaning where my body feels the exercise. I find I expend more energy cleaning when I work for the the weight loss not just for the cleaning.

Best wishes for smooth journey to your goals.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    :huh:

Guess there's no point to doing LISS cardio anymore on my lifting recovery days since it doesn't "count."

OP, if you are intentionally walking outside of your normal daily routine... aka EXERCISE, search for walk... and probably only use about 75% of what it tells you.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Probably the same way I lost my 134:
    tumblr_mtpmecsxQf1sj3oxho1_400.gif
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

I read it that way, too, TBH. As per the internet, the thread took on a life of its own! :laugh:

Too true!

OP, if you were in fact talking about "walking up stairs" not being in the database, I believe "stairclimber" is in the database. I have used that one before, but if you are going upstairs at a slow pace, I would be more akin to log it as a strength exercise and not cardio.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    You are not trying hard enough. I used to add walking every day to my exercises 100lbs ago.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Well I don't know about that as I am still losing weight.