Thanksgiving Recommendations from the American Heart Associa

Options
IbettR
IbettR Posts: 139 Member
I just found this on their site, and thought I'd share it with you. :flowerforyou:

As the Thanksgiving holiday approaches, the American Heart Association wants to provide you with some simple ways to make your big meal as healthy and delicious as possible. Many of the traditional foods served during Thanksgiving can be healthy - just avoid the butter, cream and sugar.

When planning your Thanksgiving Day meal (and all the leftovers), try this:

1. Start small.

When it comes to Thanksgiving, the biggest concern is not just WHAT you're eating, but HOW MUCH. You can enjoy a variety of favorite family recipes if you have small portions of high-calorie foods such as casseroles and desserts and fill up on lighter fare such as vegetables and lean turkey.

2. Talk turkey.

Turkey is a great source of lean protein. It's healthiest if you skip the skin and just eat the white meat. If you prefer the dark meat, mix and match to get a little extra flavor without adding too much fat.

3. Be sweet on sweet potatoes.

Sweet potatoes are a source of vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium and fiber. They can make a tasty side dish or dessert. A healthy way to prepare them is to cut them in half, sprinkle them with orange juice and a little brown sugar, and pop them into the oven.

4. Kick the canned cranberry.

Cranberries are packed with antioxidants that can help keep you healthy. Unfortunately, canned cranberry sauce is also often packed with sugar and calories you don't need. Try making your own by mashing fresh cranberries with a generous splash of balsamic vinegar or apple juice concentrate.

5. Pick a pumpkin.

Pumpkin is low in fat, low in calories, and loaded with potassium, vitamin A and vitamin C. Make pumpkin pies with canned, evaporated fat-free milk, half the amount of sugar in the recipe, a graham cracker crust, and light or fat-free whipped topping for a light and tasty dessert.

6. Stuff with more veggies and less bread.

Opt for less bread in your stuffing and add more onions, celery, vegetables or fruits such as dried cranberries or apples to make a lower calorie version of the old standby. Try using whole-wheat bread to make it an even healthier option.

7. Go fruity!

Baked apples and poached pears are perfect, light ways to end any autumn meal.

8. Avoid greasy gravy.

Use a fat separator or refrigerate the pan juices and skim the fat off before making the gravy. This can cut out a significant amount of fat.

9. Sacrifice fat, not flavor.

Use low-fat buttermilk or low-sodium chicken stock in place of cream or whole milk in dishes like mashed potatoes, whipped sweet potatoes or butternut squash. You'll get a creamy consistency and loads of flavor, minus the unnecessary fat and calories.

10. Steam and mash.

Try sneaking in more low-calorie vegetables by mashing or pureeing steamed or boiled cauliflower with low-fat milk. It's a flavorful substitute for mashed potatoes and can help balance an otherwise potato-rich meal!

11. Veg out.

Fall veggies such as squash and green beans are great side dishes that add color and variety to a meal without adding too many extra calories.

Replies

• dansu2000
    Options
    Thank you! I'm saving this post and will definitely try those suggestions. The pumpkin pie recipe sounds great. Better not to completely deprive yourself and just have lighter versions. Thanks again!
  • bubblez_x3
    Options
    Great info!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Thats Great I stole it and shared it with my facebook peeps
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!! I emailed in the info to my mom in hopes that we can have a healthier Thanksgiving dinner...we shall see!!
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I contemplated not even making a Thanksgiving dinner this year just to skip the fat and calories :ohwell: But I hope you'll all join me in seeing this as a challenge! :bigsmile:

How yummy can you make your Thanksgiving be without all the fat, sugar, calories and sodium that we're used to having with it??? :happy: Could you accomplish this? :tongue: Well, I WILL!!!!! :love: :tongue: And I can't wait!!! :love:

Have a safe and healthy Thanksgiving, my friends :smooched: