Protein question?

Options
How much protein is safe to eat a day I seem to be going over everyday and I can't figure out if it's a good or bad thing. And i'm wondering if this is stunting my weight loss?

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Your protein goal is only 45g of protein per day.. you SHOULD go over! That's pretty low if you are exercising regularly.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I think what I've seen before is 1g of protein for every pound you weigh... If you go 1.5g of protein for every pounf you weigh, you will gain muscle (but not so much that you'll "bulk up") so it depends what you goal is. You definately should consider building muscle mass to support weight loss.
  • jhandley
    jhandley Posts: 118
    Options
    I've been told you can go over on protein....that actually the sky is the limit when it comes to protein and fiber.....but everyone has an opinion.
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    I think what I've seen before is 1g of protein for every pound you weigh... If you go 1.5g of protein for every pounf you weigh, you will gain muscle (but not so much that you'll "bulk up") so it depends what you goal is. You definately should consider building muscle mass to support weight loss.
    this is correct,your ok going over on your protein,watch that sodium though!
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I see a nutritionist and she has me set at close to 100g per day, and only 60g of carbs. Protein helps your muscles burn fat more efficiently. I don't always get that much, but I have lost 45 pounds since July, so something is working ;)
  • annabitri
    Options
    Ideally, you would want to drink your protein instead of eating it. It's true, you can get protein from meats, nuts etc, however, it takes time to digest. Try to drink a protein shake immediately after your work out. If that's not possible, try to have it within the hour after your workout. You will see quicker results.

Hope it helps!! :):)
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You can't really go over on protein. If you get more than your body can process, it'll just exit the body (trust me, you'll know when you get to that point). 1 gram per pound of body weight is a good estimate for a serious bodybuilding program.
  • tmogs
    tmogs Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Okay just making sure because i'm going over my protein everyday and working out and eating right. I guess i need to stop comparing what my other MFP friends are losing each day.

I drink shakeology in the mornings.
  • arsenal45
    Options
    Ideally, you would want to drink your protein instead of eating it. It's true, you can get protein from meats, nuts etc, however, it takes time to digest. Try to drink a protein shake immediately after your work out. If that's not possible, try to have it within the hour after your workout. You will see quicker results.

Hope it helps!! :):)

That's right. An hour post workout is your "magic hour" where your body gets the most benefit. Also, first thing after you get up. Essentially you have been "fasting" for the time you've been asleep. When you drink a protein shake, your body acts like a sponge and soaks it in quickly. Just don't forget a small amount of carbs (a handful of cereal or a good granola bar) otherwise the shake will make your stomach feel a bit sloshy.
  • tmogs
    Options
    When you get too much is that when you get gassy (sorry for TMI) or is that something normal with protein comsumption? Just trying to know the signs.
  • arsenal45
    Options
    For me, anything with soy protein equals gas. I stick to whey protein. A lot of the protein bars are a soy / whey mix.
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    When you get too much is that when you get gassy (sorry for TMI) or is that something normal with protein comsumption? Just trying to know the signs.

My dr. told me that you can not go over in protein. On days that I exercise she tokd me I need a minimum of 100 g protein. She said the worst thing that happens if you take in excess protein is you'll simply pass it, gross, byt true:bigsmile:
  • tmogs
    Options
    ah ha good info good info

THANKS GUYS I just say this on my facebook from nordic track and started to wonder

NordicTrack
    Hooked on protein? It's a waste to ingest too much-- the excess amino acids are either secreted as waste or converted into carbs & stored.
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    For me, anything with soy protein equals gas. I stick to whey protein. A lot of the protein bars are a soy / whey mix.

I agree swoy definitely = gas. I love my Whey Protein shakes, especially after a good workout.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Protein does NOT hurt your weight loss. In fact, it helps. If you are exercising (which you should be ), then your muscles need protein to recover from the workout. Protein is also the macronutrient that takes the most energy to process in your body. Remember, it takes calories to keep your digestive system moving, just like it takes calories to move your arm. Protein also takes the longest to process, which helps you feel fuller longer.

Yup, protein is awesome.

I have my protein intake set to 40% in my goals. MFP sets it to 15% if you leave it as-is, which makes no sense at all. You should reset it to at LEAST 30%.
  • arsenal45
    Options
    I'm a self-confessed cheapskate (I think I've spent maybe $5 in a GNC). I love the Body Fortress products. They're available at Wal-Mart and there's a really good variety so you don't get burned out on one flavor. Also, the Met-Rx Big 100 Colossal Protein Brownies are incredible. 30 grams of protein (calories are around 300, so make sure your allowance can afford it) and you can nuke them for 8 seconds, dice them up and mix them into some f/f frozen yogurt!
  • TateFTW
    Options
    Just to add; I see people saying you can't go voer on protein. Technically this is not true. It's just REALLY hard for the average person, especially an active person, to get too much. The exception is postmenopausal women. Studies have shown that excess protein intake can cause loss of bone density, among other issues with some internal organs.
  • TateFTW
    Options
    For the record;

Chicken, salmon, tuna (no more then twice a week), shrimp, turkey, steak > any processed protein source in the world.

That being said, I keep whey protein around and usually have 1 shake a day. Most vitamin stores have store brands that aren't overly expensive.
  • tmogs
    Options
    okay I will try to set my protein goal for 30%
  • GrandmaCarolyn
    Options
    The diet my Registered Dietition recommended for a 1500-1600 cal diet was for 25% protein, 30% fat and 45% carb. for women over 50. She is prescribed by my MD and paid for by my medical insurance. She needs at least 4 years of college to become a Registered dietition and she uses more reliable data than most other sources. RDs are employed by hospitals, for instance.
    One diabetic diet says to divide your plate into quarters--1/4 lean protein, 1/4 carb and 1/2 veggies. Add a small amt. oil (which has twice the calories of carbs and proteins) and a piece of fruit. This is a very healthy diet. Include a lot of fiber from bran, veggies and whole fruit and about 25% protein and you should lose weight. When you don't lose weight you either are using too much salt, or you are not reaching your calorie goal and are at the starvation point when your body starts conserving calories.If you are close to your goal weight you may need to decrease you calorie goal (but never go under 1200 calories). People who are at a plateau often try varying their calories--up 100 cal one day and 50 cal below goal the next two.. Sometimes it helps. But cutting out salt and eating lots of veggies helps most. By the way, most protein drinks are very high in sugar and not meant for dieting so be very careful to read ingrediants. It is better to get that sugar from whole fruit.