Trying to find walking in the exercises and no luck

Options

Replies

• Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Because MFP typically dramatically overestimates calories burned, when I go for a walk that I'm going to count as exercise (i.e. something above and beyond normal moving around in the day for me), I tend to halve the calories MFP spews out. That's worked for me. A HRM or other device that gives you more accurate info would also help. Just whatever you do, don't take the MFP exercise calories at face value -- they're overinflated!

As others have pointed out, it is in the cardio database, so you should be able to find it. Good luck!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I walk approx. 6 miles at around 4 mph, burn approx. 700 calories according to my fitbit.

Unless you are 400 pounds, your FitBit is waaaaay over-estimating.

Net burn from walking = 0.3 * miles walked * body weight in pounds.

Well I don't know about that as I am still losing weight.

I tried using the 0.3 * miles * body weight. It doesn't have an option for speed, which changes the equation quite a bit. I think 0.3 must be a leisurely stroll.

Hey Mr. Knight, where are you getting that number from? Many thanks.
  • ephra1m
    ephra1m Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For a rough estimate, enter 100 calories for every mile you walked. Same goes for running.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Are you really wanting to count walking as an intentional exercise? Shouldn't that be included in your TDEE (or your maintenance calories?).

I personally wouldn't count walking as this could lead to over eating the estimated calories back and undoing your calorie deficit.

So if I take a 2 mile walk to the park, which is not part of my everyday routine, I shouldn't count it as exercise because it is walking?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Are you really wanting to count walking as an intentional exercise? Shouldn't that be included in your TDEE (or your maintenance calories?).

I personally wouldn't count walking as this could lead to over eating the estimated calories back and undoing your calorie deficit.

If you have a step counter .......THEN you wouldn't count 100% of your daily step totals as exercise. Some people here wear pedometers. The daily step totals help calculate your activity level.

I agree with others .....if I go for a 30 minute walk......I'm going to swing my arms and walk quickly....this IS exercise.
  • LesBrock
    LesBrock Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just started walking on our treadmill (walk before I can run lol) 22 mins at 3.0 incline and 4.6Kmh was 76 Calories acording to the machine.

And yes I have logged it, as I sit behind a desk most of the day. but waling round the office I don't
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I thought the OP meant that he/she was looking for "walking up stairs" in the database and couldn't find it. Am I the only one that read it that way?

I wish thats possible to add in...yes its considered as a daily activity since Ive been living in a house with stairs since I was 12 but nope cant add that one in lol...

But granted if the OP is walking for 30-45 mins or longer in a day consistently why not add it in? I do
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

:laugh: Ok.

Hhhhmmmmm......I been walking since I started this weight loss, I wonder how I loss the 102 pounds!!! :happy:

I'll go on a limb here and suggest that it might have had something to do with how many calories you ate.

Both had a lot to do with my weight loss, but to say walking isn't exercise is ridiculous, I can't run as i have issues with my knees. I walk approx. 6 miles at around 4 mph, burn approx. 700 calories according to my fitbit. Ohhh and I do weight lifting also, but started this a year ago. :smile:

Re-read my post where i stated i wouldn't count it as exercise on MFP. Because you are likely to overestimate caloric burn.

I never said it wasn't exercise... :noway:
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Hmmm............another one who managed to lose by walking. Probably a figment of my imagination............just saying.:wink:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I'm brand new here and was able to find jogging up stairs but typing in walking into the box found no matches. Huh? I thought MFP was supposed to be easy to use, but not so far.

under cardio, search for
    Walking, upstairs

you probably entered up stairs, which is why it didn't recognize it. You have to be exact in your words and spelling to find activities.
    Also, if you just searched walking it would have pulled up a long list, which if you scrolled down,you would have found the upstairs entry
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

This person is new and you're assuming they understand TDEE. Don't overwhelm the newbies!

Yes, as many people have pointed out, there is walking. The database is very general so it will give you options like "walking the dog" stuff like that. You can also create your own exercies if you would like. You should also go get a heart rate monitor becuase MFP gives way more calories burned than what some people find is normal. I know I was disappointed when I first saw how many calories I was actually burning! If you don't have one now, it's better to log something than nothing at all! It will get you in the habit of logging which can take some getting used to.

Walking is a great start to getting yourself moving! Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Hhhhmmmmm......I been walking since I started this weight loss, I wonder how I loss the 102 pounds!!! :happy:

I'll go on a limb here and suggest that it might have had something to do with how many calories you ate.

Both had a lot to do with my weight loss, but to say walking isn't exercise is ridiculous, I can't run as i have issues with my knees. I walk approx. 6 miles at around 4 mph, burn approx. 700 calories according to my fitbit. Ohhh and I do weight lifting also, but started this a year ago. :smile:

Re-read my post where i stated i wouldn't count it as exercise on MFP. Because you are likely to overestimate caloric burn.

Couldn't the same be said for any exercise that is tracked through MFP alone? why restrict it to walking. It overestimates pretty much everything.
  • TabithaRose87
    TabithaRose87 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    **Raises hand** IMO, from what I read..the OP..says she's jogging upstairs which means she will not find it under walking because she is indeed running up stairs...in which she should look up "jogging" which will give her option for jogging upstairs

As for getting on the girl whose post MAY have seemed like she doesn't think walking is excercise...she has made it clear that she does think walking is exercise...just to be careful of WHAT KIND of walking you are logging because you could end up screwing yourself over by eating too many calories back.... Just my little input there. Have a blessed day
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Couldn't the same be said for any exercise that is tracked through MFP alone? why restrict it to walking. It overestimates pretty much everything.

You are correct. But i find it overestimates even greater on light impact exercise such as walking/light jogging/etc. I actually think the MFP calculation of calories burned is atrocious. It estimates 40% higher on most exercises for me. I know first hand that when creating a deficit to cut that it's important to make sure you're consuming enough calories... but come on... walking? Even if the OP was walking great distances and briskly she still isn't going to be burning a very high number of calories.

Why even chance completely undoing your caloric deficit with eating those calories back when you have no way to really track it accurately?

OP didn't indicate they had a pedometer (to see if their "walk" was really beyond MFP's assumptive TDEE), a heart rate monitor, etc.

That's why i said.. if it were me... I wouldn't count it as exercise calories to eat back. A walk is a walk is a walk. OP didn't indicate if they walked a marathon or something...

Regardless, that's my opinion. You are all entitled to your own. To those who lost a large amount of weight while walking.... good for you! But keep in mind you had a lot of weight to lose and were likely at a fairly large deficit as it were. I gave generic advice for someone within any weight range. I know for someone who only has 10-20 pounds to lose eating those calories back can be detrimental.
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I lost 60lbs walking 5-6 days a week 2 years ago when I started. Be aware that MFP over estimates calorie burn.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

This!^

Because MFP over states many exercise activities..... do you ever record any exercise?

OP - the PURPOSE of eating back exercise calories is this..............lose weight too quickly & you risk losing lean muscle (as well as fat). But yes, MFP overstates many things (it's just an estimate)......so an approach many people use.......manually LOWER the number of calories MFP gives you. Start with something like 60% .....and adjust down if you are not losing anything.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Uh oh! You riled up an angry swarm of walkers better run....or casually jog away. :laugh:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    For a rough estimate, enter 100 calories for every mile you walked. Same goes for running.

Running burns approximately twice the number of calories per mile that walking does. So, NO. You might burn 100 calories per mile walking if you weight 250 lbs, but otherwise that is quite an overestimate.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    To answer OP: It is under cardio exercises. If you just type in walking a lot of different options will come up.

To add to the walking debate, of course it is an exercise and I always logged my walks before I got my Fitbit *and* ate those calories back *and* still managed to lose weight.

To some of us, low impact cardio like walking or swimming is as good as it gets because other injuries or joint problems prevent us from doing higher impact exercises.