What a big downer!!!!!!

Options
Okay, so I weighed in this morning...lost a couple, so all was well....UNTIL a co-worker brought a scale in and and asked "hey, since you weighed in today, can you step on here and tell me how close it is to what you weighed" And, thinking, heck yeah, I would like to see that again.....OMGosh it was SIX pounds higher!!!! YIKES.

Now, I know it was late afternoon, I was fully dressed and I had eaten lunch.....so sure I may expect like 2 pounds.....but SIX? Needless to say, I have banned myself from getting on that scale ever again!!!! LOL

So, yeah, scales fluctuate.....but that is just cruel. I am sad now. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    And, I recommended she get a new one cause hers cannot possibly be correct! :bigsmile:
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Arrgh! I hate when that happens! Keep your chin up--time of day, eating, wearing certain types of clothes, and using a different scale all make one's weight go up from the "just woke up" weigh-in... don't beat yourself up over something that obviously isn't giving you an accurate data point. :flowerforyou:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I have been as much as +5 lbs when I've just eaten and or drank. Most scales vary by a good bit as well. The only really accurate ones are the doctor style ones, I think. Most scales come with a disclaimer of about 3lbs +/- accuracy. This just doesn't seem completely outrageous- theres too many flucuating variables
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    You would probably weigh the same on your own scales at a similar time. Its not just your clothes, just think of all the water you've drank, and food eaten. Nothing is digested or expelled yet :noway:

I only weighed once or twice later on in the day and learnt my lesson. For us morning weighers its a bit of a shock :noway: But perfectly normal :flowerforyou:
  • GrandmaCarolyn
    Options
    Always weigh on the same scale at the same time of day and wearing the same thing. Yes, different clothes, shoes and a meal can make that much difference. I hate to get weighed at the doctor's office for that reason. One time I was weighed when I went into my registered dietition's office and had to use the bathroom before I left an hour later. She had me get on the scale again and I had lost over 2 pounds! At home I weigh every morning in my night gown before my coffee. My weight goes up and down during the week depending on how much salt I consumed. So I post my losses, and not the gains when I am achieving my calorie goals. It is better for my morale.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I've literally weighed, taken my clothes off and been 3-5lbs lighter.. so don't let it get to you! :ohwell:
  • gagagul
    gagagul Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just got on the scale this week and it was a pound heavier I was furious because I worked so hard, in essence doing it once a week is plenty and always on the same scale as long as you can trust it.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Why do your co-workers carry around scales and randomly weigh people? LOL
  • truedecember
    truedecember Posts: 151 Member
    Options

LOL that's what I was wondering!
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

LOL that's what I was wondering!

LOL It's a plot. She needed to buy a new scale...but could not wait so she wanted to weigh herself so someone brought a scale in. I know, we are strange here. LOL
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Just a tidbit for anyone who gets tempted to weigh in at times other than your partic weigh in time but finds it discouraging:

I weigh in ALL the time. I just. cannot. stop. It's dorky, but there's just so much suspense!!! But I've made it work for me by weighing in multiple times a week, around the same times, and recording those weigh ins (I have a white board). I keep my "lowest" weight, my morning weight as my touch point, but by checking in at all sorts of time, I feel I have a pretty good idea of the types of flucuations my body is prone to. I like it because when I see higher weigh ins I know why - for example, if I eat take out or really processed food or higher sodium (anything my body isnt really used to) I almost instantly gain 3-4 lbs which are gone within 2-3 days. It's just good to know- now if I go out the day before my weigh in - I know the weight I have proly isnt very accurate. Also I'm over the "sticker shock" of other people's scales- I have my range, I know what it is and it makes me feel good to understand that part of myself.

Anyway, sorry to blather on- I don't think it's right for everyone necessarily, I just wanted the info/perspective out there in case anyone was considering it. Thats all!
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    NOt every scale is made alike. With that said I know for a fact that my scale is 2-3lbs off I am well aware of that but I still follow what it says because that is the weight I started with.

**Note** I avoid other peoples scales they are evil...
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    It would weigh you more if you were on carpet too ;) But yeah, in the middle of the day with all of your clothes on plus the food you ate for the day, stuff you drank....can add up in a day.