Lifting weights while losing weight?

Options
I am a lurker on the forums (on here daily, you believe it!) and believe me, I wouldn't be posting on this issue if I already had hard evidence on which answer is correct..nBut I have heard both sides of lifting weights while losing weight: to wait until you're done losing weight, and to not wait until you're done.

I have always believed the side that you need to wait until you're done losing weight to lift weights, because it would seem that people who are serious about their muscles have to eat at maintenance or above for their work out to be worth anything, which is counter-productive to, what for people like me is, our main goal of weight loss.

However, I have heard blurbs in certain posts that you SHOULD lift weights when losing weight, so as to lessen the amount of muscle lost in the weight loss process. This does sound correct to me, but since I don't know much about it I feel like I need evidence and more information on how to go about it...

The only way I know I have been counting calories correctly is by the number on the scale going down each day. On the days it stays the same or goes up, I evaluate my food diary and learn from whatever happened. That is the basis of how I lose weight, and I'm worried weight lifting, say, every 2-3 days would fluctuate it and I'd have to go off of my body image to see how I was doing. Which I suck at.

Time to end my rambling, I don't think I'm informed enough. FEED ME INFORMATION :p

Replies

• tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Tagging to follow.

I wish I had lifted weights earlier in my weight loss. It is much more difficult to put muscle back on once you lose it. Lifting properly while losing weight will ensure that when you get to your goal weight, you will have the body you were expecting. For me, I got to my goal weight and looked gaunt. Now I am struggling to add muscle mass back on. I have found that I can add fat easily.

Lift now. Ignore the scale. Trust the program. It works.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I would actually say it's more important to lift while losing than after, to avoid muscle loss.

Personally I wouldn't want to lose a lot of weight, including muscle, just to try to gain the muscle all over again. To use an example, I wouldn't want to lose 20 pounds, 5 being muscle, then try to gain 5 pounds of muscle when I could just lose 15 pounds of fat and get to the same place. (I didn't write that sentence well but I hope the point is made).
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    There are benefits to lifting weights all the time. The reason people say to wait until you're at the end of your weight loss journey is because, in order to put on significant muscle mass, you need to eat in surplus. So, you won't see huge improvements (in terms of hypertrophy, strength gains, etc.) if you're still losing, but there are regardless benefits in terms of muscle retention, joint health, etc.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lift now .....keeping muscle is much easier than trying to add it back later.
  • mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I started lifting about halfway through my year last year, while my weight loss did slow down a little my progress dd not. I continued to lose inches and my body changed more than if I just did cardio or ate at a deficit alone. I did a strength training program ( stronglifts 5X5) I love it plus it feels good to feel strong
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    The tape measure still works really well. If you mainly want to get smaller, you still will! So you can go down sizes quickly and all that.

I get more motivation, too, by noticing the muscle changes. It's very encouraging and happens faster than just weight loss for me (I don't lose weight quickly).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    lift now...lose fat and preserve your lean mass. building lean mass is a ***** and it's much easier to preserve what you have. Your losses will likely be a little slower as water retention in your muscles can mask scale losses and you won't be oxidizing as much muscle...but you'll look and feel much better for it in the end.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for longer than I've been losing weight. If I eat right the scale still goes down just fine. And as has been already stated, it is soooo much easier to keep the muscles that you already have than to lose it and try to build it again. *Especially* when you're a woman, because we don't add muscle as easily as men do.

If you are new to lifting, it is possible to see the amount that you can lift increase even while you are losing weight, which is very motivating!

I think that when people are lifting and losing weight, they tend to have a different mindset. They're more focused on uncovering their muscles rather than just keeping their same body shape, only smaller. It's a subtle difference but it's more fun in my opinion.

[edited for spelling]
  • mangosabayon
    Options
    Muscle BURNS fat!!! ..... not just when you are lifting but for up to 24 + hours post lifting. Lifting raises you resting metobolic rate also. Start with big muscles and work your way up. Don't delay start today :)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Lost all my weight while lifting. Weight came off just fine as weight loss is all about calorie management.

There is a big difference in losing weight and losing body fat. If the scale is all that matters to you then do whatever form of exercise you want or none at all. There are much more important things than just weight loss when it come to your health.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/strength-training/ART-20046670
    http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/growingstronger/why/
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    You lift while losing to maintain muscle mass.

You can only ADD muscle while eating at a surplus.
    But while at a deficit you can strengthen and maintain existing muscle.

Feeling stronger feels good. Maintaining muscle is good. start now.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Lift the weights and throw away your scale. Eat at a modest deficit and be patient. It works.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options

Hi Hoss, I was under the impression that body can change composition even without eating at a surplus (takes what it needs from the fat to build the strength that is demanded to do whatever work is required...IE:lose fat gain muscle) (toys with getting out the stupid biochemistry books out)
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options

Hi Hoss, I was under the impression that body can change composition even without eating at a surplus (takes what it needs from the fat to build the strength that is demanded to do whatever work is required...IE:lose fat gain muscle) (toys with getting out the stupid biochemistry books out)

When really obese (like me) you can add some muscle mass while at a deficit.

There isn't a perfect correlation between muscle mass and strength though. You can make existing muscles stronger. That doesn't mean they are getting physically bigger. You need extra fuel to create new muscle and if you are at a deficit there is no extra fuel.
  • futurefitdvm2017
    futurefitdvm2017 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lift now!! You won't regret it. Don't be a cardio bunny!
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Lift and keep the muscle tone. I know a girl who lost all the weight she wanted, but she did it with cardio, she looked like crap. She lost the muscle and was totally gaunt.

I have been lifting for a long time. I lifted when I lost, I lifted as a gained again and I am lifting now as I am trying to lose again. I have maintained muscle mass and strength the entire time, just gained and lost fat. It all depends on my eating to keep the fat off. I lose inches faster when I lift when trying to lose as well.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There may be two opinions to this issue, but there is only one side. Lifting weights should be part of your weight loss routine from day one. The main reason is conservation of lean mass. Getting stronger doesn't directly affect weight loss, but it is a great benefit, boosts self confidence, improves program adherence. Obese beginners don't have to lift heavy or follow a complicated program--there is plently of time for that down the road. Machines will work fine, as well as free weights. Too often the focus is placed on "gaining muscle", although that plays only a minor role at first. In the beginning, there are many different types of programs that can be effective. Get started tomorrow.
  • tabbyxxcat
    tabbyxxcat Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm...I often go to the gym before and after work a few days a week...maybe I'll do cardio in the mornings, strength training after work on those days...
    This has all been very thought provoking, and I definitely needed it. Thanks you guys! :DDDD