Six months, 47 pounds and a bit of a brain change (pics)

Options
errorist
errorist Posts: 142 Member
I have no excuse for my weight gain. It arrived via 20 years of sneaky, bingey, and sometimes emotional eating. I've always been bothered by my weight, before my teenage years even, but this represents only the second time I've actually done anything about it. The first time, about 5 or 6 years ago, I dropped to 90 kilos / 198 pounds, getting "in shape" to run a half marathon. I never put my running shoes back on.

In October 2012, I found that I had put myself in for another half-marathon. The idea had obviously been to motivate myself to get into shape again, but it didn't work. I pulled myself around, walking most of the way. It was an ordeal that I blotted out of my mind, the horrible diet continued, and the running shoes went back in the rack.

It took until June of this year, with me at 101 kilos / 222 pounds (and 35 years old), in the worst shape of my life, before I finally listened to my partner, and we started on a diet plan together. We ate the same things, carefully shopping for 42 meals a week, preparing 6 meals a day, making everything fresh and saving a lot of money in the process (through not going to restaurants, mostly).

I joined a very friendly gym, and went at least three days a week. We started playing badminton at the weekends. I now really enjoy exercise, I see a personal trainer weekly, and try to swim weekly as well. I even ran on Christmas day and Boxing day.

When my partner's and my goals began to differ (I was the only one trying to eat at a deficit) I started to log here at mfp, and to enjoy the friendly camaraderie that comes through the site. I joined a group (Autumn Weight-loss Challenge), set *and met* a reasonable weight-loss target for myself.

I recently picked up a suitcase weighing 47 pounds. It was so heavy I had to laugh. The idea of carrying that around for 13 miles...

So the obligatory pictures. I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise for all of the pictures of me in pants. At least they're not high resolution. The clothed picture dates from May 2013. The first unclothed picture comes from September, and then we work rightwards, towards the two pictures where I rediscovered trousers, which come from a couple of days ago. I am now at 79.5 kilos / 175 pounds, with a little wobble over Christmas.

9fiJG0r.png

I have no clue where my weight will settle, but I certainly haven't finished yet. I would be very lean at 70 kilos / 154 pounds, but that seems a way off just now. Hopefully through this post I'll pick up some more friends who are interested in following the next phase of my "weight-loss journey" though.

A message to anyone just starting out: I used to be wilfully ignorant of what constitutes a good diet. I am now mindful of good eating habits. I prepare all fresh food, and I enjoy cooking and eating it. When it comes to exercise, I used to basically avoid being out of breath at all costs. I wouldn't now describe myself as an exercise junkie, but my goodness it doesn't feel too bad to have aching muscles. It is a lifestyle change, and for me it has been entirely positive. All that is required is mindfulness, self-respect, and the occasional nudge and kind word from others. The latter reason is why I'm staying here on mfp.

Thanks everyone. Anyone can feel free to add me.

Replies

• rougette66
    rougette66 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    wow fantastic job! it always works out for the best when you pair diet and exercise! big congrats once again! xoxo
  • delta229
    delta229 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Awesome results! Your comments about good eating habits are "Spot on"!
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    congrats on your loss! What a great inspiration!
  • sbro32
    sbro32 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Looking fantastic! Great job!
  • kimjutjor
    kimjutjor Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree that I was clueless as to what I should be eating to live right or what I should be doing physically and being here on MFP and logging foods and exercise has made me focus on so much more than calories. I now know what I should eat and I like it! Knowledge has been key for me in making good decisions and hopefully will carry me through for the rest of my life. Just making some food choices each day that sway you toward the proper nutrition can make a huge difference. Good job and keep going until you meet your ultimate goal--wherever you feel the best you can.
  • errorist
    Options
    Thanks Kim. It is Kim isn't it?

Portion sizes, along with self-delusion, were my downfalls before. I did know, in the back of my head, that fruit, veg and lean meats were healthy choices, and that most other things were to be eaten in moderation, but I don't think I understood how moderate that actually has to be.

Nowadays, I don't self-flagellate over bad days, bad meals or lack of activity. I just pick myself up and start up again. Before, my weight problem seemed to be insurmountable. Then, a bad day meant that I was weak and I had failed. Now I know that I am basically strong, and learning how to be stronger.

I just wish I could extend the control that I now have over my food intake into other areas of my life.
  • midwestdawn
    midwestdawn Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful! Well done! The brain change is the biggest biggest battle, I think. Self-delusion can be a real bugger...
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I can not actually believe how much younger you look!!

You've done so well, congrats!
  • allinoelle007
    allinoelle007 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I love you healthy attitude!
  • Lns25
    Lns25 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Awesome! :) Well Done! I'm sure both you and your partner have benefited from the drop in weight. Congrats on your hard work!
  • errorist
    Options
    My partner's support was very important, especially in the early weeks when, although I was losing weight, I still felt that it was hopeless. At that time we were following a very strict menu plan from a magazine. Having that rigid structure also helped enormously when I was learning about food and self-control, in the early days.

Thank you everyone for the very kind comments. If I can do it, I promise anyone can.
  • Kleese86
    Kleese86 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success!!
  • itzehoe
    itzehoe Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    WOW - GREAT JOB!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!