Snacking!

Options
Does anybody have some good ideas for snacks? I try not to snack much but when I do I try to grab something that is quick and easy often times resulting in junk food. If I don't grab anything when i want a snack at work I end up binging on everything in sight when I get home :( I hate to feel hungry but I feel bad grabbing an unhealthy snack even it keeps me under my calorie goal.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    wine and cheese?
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables are my go-to snacks. I'll cut up celery and dip it in hummus, but my favorite go-to snack ever is the perfectly packaged banana. I also like mozzarella cheese sticks if you want a little fat or protein, or even cut up chicken that's been seasoned with your favorite herbs and spices. It's actually a really yummy and filling snack even though it doesn't seem like a snack.
  • Dreya711
    Dreya711 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My go-to snacks are cheese sticks (the Weight Watchers ones), the 100 calorie packets of natural almonds, Cuties (the little mandarin oranges), Pretzel Crisps, carrots and Hummus, celery and Peanut Butter.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    ♦Corn tortilla with Simply fruit jam and Almond Butter

♦Apple Slices and White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter

♦Sliced Sweet peppers in a zip lock baggie

♦Fruit

♦Rice Protein Shake powder with Almond Milk

♦Yogurt Pretzels and Raisins?

♦ Nuts and Pumpkin Seeds
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    wine and cheese?

she gets it.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I eat almonds that are already portioned out (either by bagging them after measuring on a food scale or they can be bought in 100 calorie packs).
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I snack all day long.

Nuts
    Trail Mix (I like to make my own by picking stuff from the bulk section, and throwing it together for goodness.)
    Veggies
    Fruit
    I love Zone or Luna bars if I want something candy-like
    Popcorn
    Yogurt
    Cereal
    Individual chocolates like kisses

If you are feeling hungry during a certain part of the day most days then plan a snack for that time of day. You don't need to feel hungry to lose weight and be healthy.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    100 Calorie microwave popcorn. It's only 100 calories, but it takes a fair amount of time to eat it all, and it displaces a decent volume in the tummy, so it feels like you've had a substantial snack. It was my go-to snack when I was in weight-loss mode. :drinker:
  • ChelleBalady
    Options
    Here are my go to munchies:

Apple with a tablespoon of almond butter
    Raw nuts
    Veggies-Especially Cucumber, Bell pepper, celery, sugar snap peas,(Sometimes with a tablespoon of hummus)
    shrimp
    Fruit (Especially berries)
    My alternative to chips is dried seaweed

I measure everything. :-)

Hope you find this helpful.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Nuts and peanuts in the shell - slows me down and takes some work
    Apples
    Celery and Carrot sticks
    Popcorn
    Lowfat sour cream and onion Pringles (70 calories for 15 chips)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Raw fruit...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    String cheese
    beef jerky (I tend to go for the low sodium variety)
    baby carrots with hummus or Laughing Cow cream cheese
    Greek yogurt
    nuts
    trail mix
    Luna bars or other protein bars (lots of varieties out there)
    apples and peanut butter or PB2

I take an hour of my weekend to pre-measured baggies of snacks and keep them in my fridge or in a box by my door so that I can just grab them and go during the week.
  • christinemadden0223
    christinemadden0223 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I keep a bag of almonds at my desk for when I need a snack and bring an apple to work almost every day. I also like to snack on whole fruits, veggies and hummus, yogurt, special K cracker chips (when I have a salt craving), cans of low sodium V8, soup at hand... If you want something sweet and aren't really hungry, swiss miss makes light cocoa (25 cals plus calcium) and it tastes good with hot water.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I like to eat some portioned grilled chicken or do some carrots or oranges.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Does anybody have some good ideas for snacks? I try not to snack much but when I do I try to grab something that is quick and easy often times resulting in junk food. If I don't grab anything when i want a snack at work I end up binging on everything in sight when I get home :( I hate to feel hungry but I feel bad grabbing an unhealthy snack even it keeps me under my calorie goal.

Any suggestions?
    Stop feeling bad about meeting your calorie goal?
  • lostinsidemyself77
    lostinsidemyself77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt
    Pre-packaged almonds
    flatbread crackers with tuna or some other quick high protein including a cheese stick or boiled egg
    Yogurt smoothie w/ protein and frozen berries
    quick omlette w/a mozarella cheese stick melted in and baby spinach
    turkey slices
    oatmeal:drinker:
  • marcellara
    marcellara Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Any suggestions?
    Stop feeling bad about meeting your calorie goal?

I don't necessarily feel bad meeting my calorie goal as long as I am not eating unhealthy snacks. I struggle with picking the snacks that are unhealthy. Say if I had 200 for snacks left, I feel bad if I eat a bag of skittles rather than a piece of fruit or something. I usually grab the most convenient thing that is around so I need ideas for grab and go snacks that are healthy :)
  • marcellara
    marcellara Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for the ideas! I will be going out to buy some snack foods, I appreciate everybody's advice and suggestions! There are some really great ones on here :)
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I snack all the time, it helps me to not binge eat or to not eat the candy/baked goods that always find their way into my work. My fav is fruits and veggies: small mandarin oranges, cut up apple slices (you can dip them in smooth pb for an extra protein boost and yummy-ness), bananas, baby carrots, sugar snap peas, carrot and celery sticks (with or without ranch dip - try Opa greek yogurt ranch, I think it's 60 calories for 2 tbsp and it's yummy).

Otherwise yogurt is good (and you can add crumbled granola or fruit), oatmeal, cheese sticks, nuts. Sometimes I grab a baggy of cereal to munch on, although it's not usually super healthy. Pretzels can work, and you can dip them in pb too!

I'm not a fan of packaged snacks, especially if they tout they're "under 100 calories" because they're still usually processed garbage just in small amounts so you're overpaying and eating junk (unless these are a substitute for unhealthy sweet tooth cravings).

I try to find real food snacks and portion them out in bags or Tupperware to bring to work or on the go to help avoid the temptation of splurging on sweets or buying something quick and easy.