Salad Dressing

Options
I'm a huge ranch fan/snob!

I love my hidden valley and I've gotten used to the "light" but alas its super high in sodium and fat and all the other good stuff. :laugh:

What salad dressings do you like?

Replies

• sunlover67
    sunlover67 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms - Creamy Yogurt Ranch Dressing. Yum! :drinker:
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm usually an Italian or vinaigrette person, though I'll do Ranch sometimes if there's nothing else or if I'm in the right mood.

Most often, I do oil and vinegar. That is, extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I found out recently that Alessi "aged 4 years" balsamic vinegar is really quite tasty.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I adore fat free raspberry vinaigrette, so tasty but its not at all anything like your beloved ranch
  • laurenbausch
    Options
    Catalina Fat Free (Kraft), Litehouse Toasted Sesame Ginger fat-free, any type of Raspberry Vinigarette. . .Yum! I LOVE the ginger sesame one most of all. . .only 40 cal. Good luck!!!
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Oh we sell the bolthouse farms stuff here (I work for a produce company so I have all the fixings at my finger tips) :laugh: I should really look to see if we have that one. I bet the calories, etc are better cuz its yogurt? Yes?
  • DayAtATime
    Options
    My recent favorite store bought salad dressings are from Trader Joe's. Today, I had the low fat parmesan ranch and it is great...only 30 calories per 2 tablespoons. I am not a fan of ranch per se (how, unamerican) and I think this dressing is great. I would also highly recommend the Cranberry Walnut Gogonzola salad dressing from Trader Joe's that is 90 calories for 2 tablespoons. I also like a pear ginger from Maple Grove. It has about 60 calories per 2 tablespoons.

In terms of homemade and lower in calories, approx 1/3rd each of red wine vinegar, lemon juice, and olive oil. To that mixture add a good amount of dijon mustard ( or any other type you like) and garlic....very tasty. I also add Splenda to add some sweetness.
  • vampirepirate
    Options
    When I have to have it... Blue Cheese... Though I dont think I use more than a ketchup packet size. I just need a little taste now a days because I've learned to love the taste of vegtables on their own. :glasses:
  • jhandley
    jhandley Posts: 118
    Options
    I'm going to experiment with the greek yogurt this weekend in the attempt to create a ranchy dressing with it. I'll keep you posted.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Italian spritzer (10 sprays) with 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast - mix it up and it's creamy and tasty and really low in fat/calorie/sodium.
  • Alleghany
    Options
    I'm hooked on Galeos Caesar (http://www.galeoscafe.com/caesar.html)...Under 60 mgs of sodium & 14 cals per serving. Plus I recognize all the ingredients. Tried their others but I always come back to this one.
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    Marie's Creamy Caesar. Not good for you at all, but I love it. I consider it my indulgence when I'm eating a salad!
  • mrskern06
    mrskern06 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love Ranch on so many things (not just salads) and can't give it up totally. But often I will use Lime Juice as my dressing on salads.
  • PokenStick
    Options

Seconded, it's amazing stuff. I like it better than normal ranch!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just have to go with Ranch, but I'm very particular about the taste of my ranch.

Most times I like vinaigrettes. I like just vinegar too actually, the oil I could really do without. I :heart: lemon juice on a fresh salad with grilled chicken. Mmmm!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I recently found that a little olive oil and rice vinegar makes a very nice dressing. I never cared for it with wine vinegar but the rice vinegar is much better.

I would rather put some interesting things in my salad like nuts and grapes and maybe a little of that evil cheese than use up the calories in the dressing. I know olive oil isn't exactly low calorie, but you don't need much and it is supposed to be a better fat for you than some.

Be sure to pick a good flavor olive oil. There is a huge difference among brands and types.
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I love Ranch on so many things (not just salads) and can't give it up totally. But often I will use Lime Juice as my dressing on salads.
    Yeah its like my ketchup.

Chicken, fries, you name it! :laugh:

At least it explains my large *kitten*! :sad:
  • MadiCole
    Options
    Fat free zesty Italian. Sooo good, and only 10 calories per serving. :)
    And to think - once upon a time, I would ONLY eat ranch with my salads.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I have my salads naked. I like the taste of the veggies.
  • ChattyKatie
    Options
    I like Kens ff honey dijon spritzer. Also just balsamic vinegar.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    rasberry walnut vinegrett (sp?) from newmans own... on its good with baby greens and slivered almonts and a little blue cheese- calories totaling about 250 :)