c25k - 613 calories!?

Options
Hey Folks, I did my first day of c25k today and I really enjoyed it. It's unbelievable how much I pushed myself! But I did on treadmill so it wouldn't link to MFP. I added the exercise manually and MFP told me I burned over 600 calories. WHAT! I know that MFP estimates high, and I don't plan on eating them back in total, but is that normal for an 18 minutes run? That's not counting the 10 warm/cool. Just curious of any experience. Thanks!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Calories burned depends on how much you weigh and your mph. 600 seems crazy high, though. How many miles did you complete in 18 min?
  • jessIcalynn63
    jessIcalynn63 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I logged my days of C25K, I logged the time I spent jogging/running separately from the time I spent walking.
    I prefer to under-estimate my calories burned...
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    That would be 34 cal burned per minute. Per my HRM my burn is 10cal per minute on a flat out run. 613 cal Sounds absurdly high for 18 minutes.
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    That does seem crazy high. I think I would have burned around 200 calories on that run.
  • oboeadam
    oboeadam Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    That seems very high to me. I did c25k, and when I finally got to running a 5k without stopping I was burning around 450 calories running consistently at 6.0 mph.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    613 is way off. You've made a mistake somewhere. Your looking at around 250 at best.
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Good job at getting day one done!! Just learn how to enter your calories burned - I"m a slow runner and for me 1 mile is like 100 cals.

But NO MATTER - GREAT JOB AND KEEP IT GOING!
  • purple180
    purple180 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think that number seems a little high. If you can (sure you have heard this before) get a heart rate monitor. I was amazed at the difference in numbers once I purchased mine. I have a Polar FT4 and I think it was around $50 and I absolutely love it. It also pushes me to work harder.

EDIT: Congrats on the GREAT RUN! Keep pushing yourself as you will find that it gets easier each time. Well done and congrats again. :-)
  • cadillacblues87
    Options
    haha, okay, thank you guys for setting this straight. Going forward I will pay more attention.

And thanks for all the encouragement, I'm so excited about becoming a runner.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Without more data... we can't even begin to guess.
    But here is another calculator that might be more accurate: http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator
    Now, I did manage to get it to tell me 614cals in 18 min, by guessing you at 295lbs, and covering 2.75miles in that time.
    Of course if you can do a 6:33 mile pace, I don't know why you would be doing C25K...
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking you're more than likely around the 150-200 cal range for burn during W1D1, but it's speculation.

I burn 600+ cals when running more than 5 miles.