canned salmon

Options
kelseyjsnyder
kelseyjsnyder Posts: 219 Member
I have a can of salmon that I need to use. Any good ideas that I can make and then refrigerate for lunch tomorrow? No salmon patties please

Replies

• angelnorgaard
    angelnorgaard Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Im interested as to what others are doing with canned salmon.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I like salmon in a salad with sushi rice, chopped cucumber, chopped bell pepper, shaved carrots, greens if I have them in the fridge, toasted sesame seeds and a dressing comprising sesame oil, mirin, soy and rice vinegar. It's actually quite nice warm, too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    salmon cakes...I guess that's a patty, but there's a whole lot more to it and salmon cakes are delicious

use it the same way you'd use canned tuna...salmon salad for a sandwich or you could mix it into a quinoa or couscous salad or something.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Salmon patties. Or croquettes. Or cakes. Whatever people call them. Super simple and YUMMY. I think the basic recipes is just breadcrumbs, onion, salmon, and an egg. Then you either fry them or bake them. But I usually add all the leftover greens I have in my fridge and it adds great flavor and color.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm making croquettes this week with some.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    If you like tuna salad you could just make it using a can of salmon. Actually any recipe that calls for canned tuna would do...just use salmon instead. It would change the taste somewhat but should work just fine.

I do a low cal tuna noodle casserole that I think salmon would be a good replacement.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/skinny-tuna-noodle-casserole.html
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I've made salmon salad the same way I do tuna, and eat it with crackers.

I also sometimes just grab a fork and eat the salmon plain out of the can, with crackers and cheese on the side (this works for the small cans, like tuna … not so great for the big soup-sized ones :wink:)
  • girlmrcs_1
    girlmrcs_1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Add mayo (or equivalent) and capers (or green olives) and wrap in large lettuce leaves!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Open can
    pour in gourmet mustard
    mash with fork

done
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Celery, mayo and corn with just a touch of whole grain or Dijon mustard and cracked pepper. The salt is in the fish and mayo. These days I would probably top with toasted pecans or pepitas.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Oh, you can make salmon patties! Just kidding. I buy it to put in salad. I make one with spinach, salmon, avocado, tomato and honey mustard dressing (usually Newman's Own lite honey mustard).
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Add mayo (or equivalent) and capers (or green olives) and wrap in large lettuce leaves!

oh yummmm.....why have I never thought of this?:love:
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Oh, you can make salmon patties! Just kidding. I buy it to put in salad. I make one with spinach, salmon, avocado, tomato and honey mustard dressing (usually Newman's Own lite honey mustard).

but, but, but...I thought you liked chopped liver.....ugh.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

but, but, but...I thought you liked chopped liver.....ugh.

I like a variety. :wink:
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Canned salmon is cat food in my house, not people food. :bigsmile:
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I eat it with fresh lemon juice and a little pepper, lots of veggies (the green giant bricks are great) on the side
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    What aisle are the 'green giant bricks' in? Can I build a house that the big bad wolf cannot blow down with those bricks?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my faves (besides the delicious salmon patty. i love the patty with quinoa and steamed veggies):
    salmon tacos (with soft corn tacos, shredded cabbage, chilis, squirt of lime juice, pico de gallo)
    salmon salad (the same you would do with tuna)
  • HouseWolf1960
    Options
    omelet with flaked salmon, hot peppers with rooster sauce on top
  • PoeRaven8991
    Options
    Just recently tried this recipe. Very healthy. Very very easy. Very very very delicious!

Salmon Burgers
    1 12-ounce can wild Alaskan salmon, drained
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    1 large egg
    1/2 chopped onion
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1 tablespoon almond flour
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    1 tablespoon coconut oil
    Mix salmon, Dijon mustard, egg, onions, flour, and lemon together in a bowl. Season with parsley and pepper. Shape mixture into 4 small burgers.
    Heat coconut oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add burgers and sauté in a pan for 4 minutes each side, or bake in oven for 15 minutes at 350 °F.
    Serve with a light green salad.