any vegetarians out there?

Options
Hello! I have decided to become a vegetarian for multiple reasons, and was looking for some advice and support. My goal is to eventually go vegan, but to be perfectly honest, I have a big will power problem, and with giving up meat and cutting down on soda and gluten, cheese will have to be my indulgence for a while longer. I am currently pretty broke, so I am finding that vegetarianism is a bit easier on the ole wallet, but I'm having trouble with good sources of protein. The internet is a vast an contradictory place, so I was hoping some other folks could offer suggestions on what worked for them when they first started on this particular path. Thanks! And feel free to add me, if you like. I kind of want to start treating this like Facebook (instead of being on, you know, Facebook all the time) and wouldn't mind a few more positive people to chat with.

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat many vegetarian and vegan meals. If you're an ovo-lacto vegetarian, eggs and lowfat cottage cheese are great protein sources. So is lowfat yogurt, though it has more carbs than protein.

Good vegan protein sources include legumes and grains, nuts, seitan, tempeh, tofu, TVP, and some green vegetables like spinach and broccoli. Most vegetable proteins are incomplete (they don't contain all the essential amino acids, those our bodies can't synthesize, in sufficient quantities), but by combining them, e.g. rice and beans, you can get a complete protein.

There's more information here: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php

My vegan dishes are usually variations on legumes and grains, like brown rice and lentil soup, tabouleh with chickpeas, Hoppin' John (made with liquid smoke or smoked paprika instead of bacon or ham), Cuban black rice and beans, etc. I've also done some tofu stir-fries.
  • loriirol
    loriirol Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thanks, this is very helpful information. I've tried tempeh before, and found it to be an acceptable breakfast meat substitute. I mostly subsist on vegan burgers and black beans, and it's getting pretty old, haha.
  • lkw0311
    lkw0311 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi, feel free to add me as a friend and we can share tips. My daughter is a vegan and I've gone back and forth with it over the last few years. I found I feel much better the more 'veganized' I can be, so I'm diving back in to start the year. Try PCRM.org, they have a 21 day vegan kickstart program thats really good.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Check out the Happy Herbivores group. There are a number of us on here.
  • newcltkathy
    newcltkathy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I went vegan 2 years ago due to a health scare. The best advice I received was from a nutritionist. He pointed out that many vegans/vegetarians load up on carbs from pasta/bread and eat way too much fat from dairy sources. The balance is finding enough protein from beans, tempeh, tofu and also getting enough fresh vegetables. The best way to lose weight as a vegan/vegetarian is to basically wipe out white stuff from your diet. Don't sweat the recommended high protein requirements that meat eaters are given. You're OK if you get at least 50g of protein a day. You can have all the non-starchy vegetables you want each day, but you have to limit fruit to only 2 servings per day. You also need at least 1 hour of exercise a day for at least 5 days a week if you want to see real progress.

Also, if you are a woman, be very careful about loading up on TVP and anything that contains soy protein isolate which is protein artificially extracted from soybeans. There is a strong link between breast cancer and soy protein isolate. Tofu and soy milk are safe.
  • newcltkathy
    newcltkathy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to remind everyone that it is a MYTH that vegetable proteins are incomplete. Vegetable proteins do not have to be matched with other things to make them complete. Modern researchers know that it is virtually impossible to design a calorie-sufficient diet based on unprocessed whole natural plant foods that is deficient in any of the amino acids
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Most food has protein in it. Even fruit and veg, not very much some of them but they offer other nutrients that meat and dairy don't. Whole grains and beans are good sources of protein and are cheap. Try that route instead of buying faux meat alot which is expensive or buy in bulk.
  • glendathurmond
    glendathurmond Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, I describe myself as macrobiotic which is basically vegan, but I do eat fish twice a week. Otherwise, no meat, chicken, pork, dairy, or eggs. I have a lot of recipes and would be glad to share. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can help each other with wholesome eating.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I'm also vegetarian, but am currently starting to transition to veganism but am also finding it hard because of money problems. I started buying groceries online cause where I live limits my choices of vegan food; found plenty of meat and dairy alternatives aswell.
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for about nine months now and my diary is open, feel free to add me. :)
  • GothicaAdore
    GothicaAdore Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 15 years, which feels like a long time when I say out the years. Mushrooms, Wheat protein, soy, rice protein (This one is new to me and I've just started eating it) and beans.

Vegan Chili has always been a favorite of mine and it is cheap to make.
  • veggiebuckeye
    veggiebuckeye Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for 8 years and I was vegan for 4. Feel free to add me.I can tell you I have saved money since kicking meat years ago.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Pescatarian here. (bracing for the flames)

It gets easier as time goes on. Meat started making me feel ill, so I slowly whittled down beef, then poultry, and I rarely ate pork any way. Eventually you lose a taste for it once you haven't had it long enough.
  • Shubzr
    Shubzr Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 2 years:)
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Soy products (tempeh is best if you are worried about phytoestrogens, which some people are - I think the jury is still out on that one), seitan, beans, quinoa, Greek yogurt, eggs, and nutritional yeast are all great sources. I also use a protein shake on occasion for convenience. You can also use protein powder to make no-bake bars with oats, pb, etc., and you can easily control the amount of protein in each bar. Tons of recipes for that type of thing around here.

Protein-fortified almond milk also seems to be showing up in the grocery stores these days.
  • Fit_little_vegan
    Options
    Vegetarian for Over 5 years and now I've been vegan for almost a year :-)
  • GoodDaytoYou
    GoodDaytoYou Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Been a veg for 15 years. Beans/tofu, nuts, peanut butter, cheese, spinach and broccoli are decent, but sometimes not enough. When I start to feel low on protein (especially if I train with weights) I use a vegan protein powder like Plant Fusion.
  • Jeni360
    Options
    Hi, I've been a vegetarian for 9 yrs. as of yesterday. When planning meals, don't focus on replacing meat.
  • loriirol
    loriirol Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the help and advice, everyone! You guys make it seem easy :)
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Year one down for me - open diary too- if you are still looking for friends!