Constantly Hungry

Basically, it seems like I am never full. I am always tired and sleep for around 12 hours a day so that isn't the problem, I've had general blood tests and they all came back clear but regardless of how much or how often I eat I am never full! It isn't even boredom or emotional stress, like if I ignore it and don't eat i start to feel weak and my stomach rumbles, it's genuine hunger. I eat healthily and exercise regularly, I drink plenty of water and I'm not overweight, I'm clueless about what to do - any tips? :) thanks!:)

Replies

• arendiva
    arendiva Posts: 177 Member
    Just to mix it up maybe you should try to have 5 smaller meals throughout the day rather than the traditional 3 meals. Maybe if you are eating more consistently you can stave off the hunger.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    You say you are always tired and sleep 12 hours? That is a lot of sleep for still being tired. There might be something wrong that isn't showing up on the blood tests.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Opening your diary might help us find a clue.

Have you made sure that you're eating a reasonable amount for your size/activity level? A lot of people are undereating and then wondering why they're never full.

Look for foods with more protein, fats, and fiber since these help us feel fuller and more satisfied.

Play around with meal timings. If you're always hungry eating small meals and snacks then try three large meals or look into intermittent fasting. Meal timing won't affect your weight loss and some people find that by skipping breakfast or snacks they don't feel as hungry throughout the day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Not a lot of information to go by............here are my top guesses

1. You are eating too few calories overall......find your BMR ....eat at least this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

2. You are not eating the right foods. Protein, fat, and fiber all help you stay full longer. I try to incorporate protein + something else with every meal. I've tried the "just low fat protein" approach.....I find I need something more.

3. You are no drinking enough water ......you may be thirsty ....and not hungry

4. Sleeping 12 hours? .......you might have a medical issue that has not been diagnosed.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    12 hours isn't normal. You shouldn't get more than nine. You are either depressed or have some kind of sleep disorder. I would investigate further with your doctor. Also, try centrum vitamins with extra D. If you are truly hungry, have less processed carbs and more whole food and protein. Veggies, fruit, apples, bananas, celery, cucumbers, carrots, etc.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    How much are you eating? How much are you exercising?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member

1. You are eating too few calories overall......find your BMR ....eat at least this

2. You are not eating the right foods. Protein, fat, and fiber all help you stay full longer. I try to incorporate protein + something else with every meal. I've tried the "just low fat protein" approach.....I find I need something more.

4. Sleeping 12 hours? .......you might have a medical issue that has not been diagnosed.

These were my thoughts too...
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Could you be depressed? That's a lot of sleep. Get a physical and discuss with your doctor. Take notes/questions to the appointment.

Could the stomach issues be stress?
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    Log your food. It will help you to see that you eat enough, and that your foods are satisfying. Your diary is closed, so I can not comment on that. But if you have a concept that 1200cals or less is all you can eat, then you will be hungry. I see you are 19yo, and a lot of young women your age are on MFP and eat like small children. Be active and eat! Log your food and use that log as a tool to find your "happy place."
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Did you know that getting too much sleep can paradoxically make you chronically OVERLY tired? Work on sleeping a reasonable number of hours, no more than 9, for several weeks consistently, and see if that doesn't help a lot.
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Stop eating gluten for a week and see how your energy level changes and your amount of sleep changes. You don't need to have digestive/intestinal issues to have a gluten issue. I did but the biggest thing for me was I was absolutely exhaused, as in beyond tired, and stopping the gluten increased the energy within three days. With regards to not feeling full, my guess is that you are eating too many carbs and not enough protein. Try uping your protein and decreasing the carbs for a few weeks and see what happens.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member

So, I have to eat as many calories as my BMR? That's a lot of calories - over 1,600. I can eat that in one sitting with crap food..
  • claireearleyx
    claireearleyx Posts: 6 Member
    How much are you eating? How much are you exercising?
    Im eating enough, I did a food log and I'm eating over what I should be eating :) for like 45 mins most days :)
  • claireearleyx
    Stop eating gluten for a week and see how your energy level changes and your amount of sleep changes. You don't need to have digestive/intestinal issues to have a gluten issue. I did but the biggest thing for me was I was absolutely exhaused, as in beyond tired, and stopping the gluten increased the energy within three days. With regards to not feeling full, my guess is that you are eating too many carbs and not enough protein. Try uping your protein and decreasing the carbs for a few weeks and see what happens.
    Thanks :) I will try this :) what type of foods would and wouldn't have gluten in them though?:)
  • claireearleyx
    Did you know that getting too much sleep can paradoxically make you chronically OVERLY tired? Work on sleeping a reasonable number of hours, no more than 9, for several weeks consistently, and see if that doesn't help a lot.
    Yeah I was told this before and I tried it but it didn't help at all, I was even more tired and had terrible headaches xD
  • claireearleyx
    12 hours isn't normal. You shouldn't get more than nine. You are either depressed or have some kind of sleep disorder. I would investigate further with your doctor. Also, try centrum vitamins with extra D. If you are truly hungry, have less processed carbs and more whole food and protein. Veggies, fruit, apples, bananas, celery, cucumbers, carrots, etc.
    I am actually taking Vitamin D and centrum atm :) I have been on them for a few months and they have helped a bit, not a lot though :) I eat a lot of fruit and veg as it is too :) Thanks though :)
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    When I am tired I over eat. Look into what is making you tired. Short term might be just time of the month. Longer term could be under eating for too long or maybe medications? My birth control made me chronically tired.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Thanks :) I will try this :) what type of foods would and wouldn't have gluten in them though?:)

gluten is in most grains. anything made with grains, or from grains, has gluten. anything with 'wheat" on the label has gluten. if you are eating foods with an ingredients label, check it - even things you think would be gluten free aren't.
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Eat more often, smaller portions. I got hungry a lot today and munched on a banana, an orange, some Wasa Rye crackers, etc... and drank tons of water and made it through. Good Luck
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Gluten is a binder found in wheat, barley and rye - so the obvious is to avoid anything that contains those things. Also, soy sauce (or basically anything Chinese like hosin, oyster sauce, etc.). Most prepared soups contain gluten as well as dry soup mixes, dry marinate mixes, etc. Best thing to do (because there are many things that contain gluten) is to eat fresh fruits and vegetables and lean protein. For grains you can eat brown rice. No pastas that aren't gluten free (there are some great ones out there, I like the corn and quinoa pastas). You will find a lot of items in the supermarket not that are clearly labeled gluten free. Good luck!