Donating blood savings lives and burns calories!

Options
Donating blood burns approx 630 calories per session! I donate regularly but now I realize I should definitely try and do it more often!!

Saving 3 lives AND you get to eat more that day? Everyone wins!! :happy:

Replies

• rie_q
    rie_q Posts: 73
    Options
    You've linked to a file on your computer, not one on the internet. We can't see it.
  • TXEXrunner
    TXEXrunner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing - I did not know this! Another reason to donate.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The 630 calories take 56 days to make up, though. lol.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Transfusion Medicine, article entitled:

Six hundred reasons to donate blood

D. A. Redelmeier

Article first published online: 21 DEC 2001
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    good resource Brother. But 56 days....ouch. Like the facts though.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I never knew that. That's the reason why they offer cookies and juice afterwards. They are trying to replenish the calories lost. Interesting. Next time I'll tell them to keep the cookies and juice. I'll bring my own healthy snacks. :smile: Thanks for sharing.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I never knew that. That's the reason why they offer cookies and juice afterwards. They are trying to replenish the calories lost. Interesting. Next time I'll tell them to keep the cookies and juice. I'll bring my own healthy snacks. :smile: Thanks for sharing.
    no the snacks are for the sugar.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options

The snacks are so you don't pass out randomly. You really should eat the cookies and juice.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

The snacks are so you don't pass out randomly. You really should eat the cookies and juice.

Agreed. The snacks are because donating causes some people's blood sugar to drop low enough that they pass out, so you drink some juice and you're fine. When blood is removed, it takes a full 8 weeks to completely replenish the bood cells and plasma you lost, and the 630 calories come from the energy it takes to make the new cells, so even though you lose the blood all in one day you make the calories up over a long time.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Donating blood burns approx 630 calories per session! I donate regularly but now I realize I should definitely try and do it more often!!

Saving 3 lives AND you get to eat more that day? Everyone wins!! :happy:

Actually it's more like 350. You don't BURN that much, that's how much extra energy your body needs to rebuild the lost blood over the next 5 weeks. Logging it as a calorie burn is stretching the truth.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Don't tell people that, they will start logging it as exercise!!