Fitbit users: tracking exercise and adjustment?

Options
Good evening guys,

As of right now I track what exercise I did that day and MFP adds the fitbit adjustment as well.

Is this the correct way to go about it? Or do I end up adding more exercise calories than I actually have?

Replies

• jessicarabbit8
    jessicarabbit8 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm not 100% sure if I'm doing it correctly, but I don't add exercise into MFP- I just allow fit bit to adjust my calories accordingly.

The only time I will add exercise is it I am doing something fit bit won't pick up (like swimming or boxing etc).

Hope that helps :)
  • AHASRADA
    AHASRADA Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you are wearing your Fitbit during exercise and don't have a more accurate way of measuring your burn during a workout (heart rate monitor, etc.), then just let Fitbit log your calories burned and don't enter it again in MFP. If you don't wear your Fitbit during the workout that you are entering in MFP, then that's fine. You can also override the calories your Fitbit counted during your workout with the amount you are entering in MFP, just make sure you log the beginning time and length of workout accurately, and the calorie burn won't be counted twice. So, if you just want to enter the workout info. in MFP so it is shared with your friends, etc., just make sure the time listed is accurate and you won't double dip as long as MFP is synced with Fitbit.

You will still get a Fitbit adjustment, over and above your workouts, as long as the burn Fitbit is measuring is more than MFP estimated it would be. This depends on your MFP activity settings. By selecting sedentary, lightly active, etc., MFP estimates your expected burn for the day. If Fitbit records a higher amount, you get those calories back via the Fitbit allowance. You can choose to enable negative adjustments if you want MFP to also subtract calories if your Fitbit records less than MFP expected. If you do this, though, just be aware that your Fitbit adjustment will go positive and negative throughout the day depending on your activity level and how often your Fitbit devices syncs with the website.
  • Fit_Is_Fabulous
    Fit_Is_Fabulous Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you are wearing your Fitbit during exercise and don't have a more accurate way of measuring your burn during a workout (heart rate monitor, etc.), then just let Fitbit log your calories burned and don't enter it again in MFP. If you don't wear your Fitbit during the workout that you are entering in MFP, then that's fine. You can also override the calories your Fitbit counted during your workout with the amount you are entering in MFP, just make sure you log the beginning time and length of workout accurately, and the calorie burn won't be counted twice. So, if you just want to enter the workout info. in MFP so it is shared with your friends, etc., just make sure the time listed is accurate and you won't double dip as long as MFP is synced with Fitbit.

Very helpful! I'm usually very precise in recording start time and length, so that prevents double counting the calories?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have done this for six months.

Link your fitbit and MFP accounts. Do all your logging - food and exercise - in MFP. You have a start time and duration on all your exercises. The MFP logging over-rides the calorie calculations for Fitbit during that time. This gives you the correct calorie count.

For example, I walk around all day with my zip on. At noon, I shovel chicken manure for one hour and log it. You will see in Fitbit that it adjusts my calories for that hour, even though my steps aren't high. You will also see that MFP takes the adjusted calories from Fitbit and accurately adds that in to your calorie allowance.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I log food into MFP and let FitBit do the rest. If your accounts are linked, it will increase your calorie needs based on your activity. No need to log it separately into MFP.