What is working for you?

Options
I am 31 and a Mom of two little ones and am sadly over 200 pounds so I need to lose at least 65 pounds, ideally 75. I am wondering what is working for everyone :)

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit=weight loss
    Exercise=fitness
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I will be 44 on Sunday and began mfp on 1/7/2013. I have greatly reduced my caloric intake because I am now aware of my intake based on logging in on mfp. I have reduced the amount of processed foods I eat and starting this week my goals include exercising. I work full time and my husband and I have a 10 year old son. Good luck!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    For losing weight, what works for me is weighing and measuring my food and logging consistently. The better idea I have of the total calories I'm actually consuming, the better I can do at hitting an appropriate deficit. Also, I don't exclude any foods as "bad," just limit them to fit within my allotted calories. I focus more on getting enough of the stuff I know I need (enough fiber and protein, and good fats, with a variety of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and animal and plant protein sources) than on not having things that aren't giving me anything other than calories.

For better health, what works is a mix of exercise that I mostly enjoy (although I do hit the treadmill despite not loving it, especially when weather or darkness precludes walking/jogging outside) that includes both cardio and resistance.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Move more. Eat less.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Exercise=fitness
    This.

MFP works great - enter your info accurately and with realistic goals and follow the plan. Eat your calories, exercise, drink water, take rest days, get good sleep and have patience.

If you really want to get into the numbers, find a site to calculate your BMR and TDEE, and take a 15-20% cut from your TDEE. Eat to goal every day and you'll lose. Stay in below TDEE and you won't gain - takes some of the pressure off on days when you're over goal - as long as you're under TDEE you're good. Stay above BMR to make sure you're well-fueled and getting enough nutrition. Great info here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Logging every. single. thing. that goes in my mouth. No exceptions, no excuses, ever. Then I added heavy lifting on top of that, and woah! I got hot! :tongue:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Move more. Eat less.
  • Phoenyxlove
    Phoenyxlove Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you for some of your answers...to the 'simple' answers...really? Obviously reduce calories and move more! Maybe I should be a little more specific...like are you doing a certain type of workout ei bootcamp, DVDs...are you following a high protein diet or still eating a balanced diet but staying under calories...tdee? Tdee - 20%? How a you figuring out your calories?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, keto, and ATM Wii Fit workout routines.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Exercise=fitness

+1
  • Phoenyxlove
    Phoenyxlove Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :)
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It's been a gradual process for me since late September. Logging consistently is important. Logging everything allowed me to see what I was eating and helped me to make choices. I gradually reduced the carbs and sugar and increased the protein while staying at or under my calorie goal. For fitness, I'm having success with weight training (with a personal trainer) with a bit of cardio (walking and HIT).
  • t73reed
    t73reed Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My advice is to take it slow. At your age I thought I had to try and crash diet and starve myself, which of course led to immediate bingeing by day 3 of this and gaining even more. Now at the almost ripe old age of 41 I have to learned to finally get real with myself. I still need to eat my chocolate chip cookies, my breads, and my lovely baked goods I make all the time. So I've made room for them by making sure I eat small portions of them and log them in. I always make sure though that I have a huge salad at least once during the day, a fruit smoothie or fruit serving of some kind, and finally (after a 20 year addiction to diet soda) drink water and more water! When I first started MFP last Mayish/Juneish my heart wasn't really even into it. I thought, what's the point? you've done WW five zillion times and have never stuck with it, why will this work? So do you know what I did? I decided for one week to just keep track of what I eat, that's all. I ate like I normally would for one week tracking each day and by the end of the week I was appalled. I had averaged around 3,000 calories a day and trust me, I was not exercising! Just seeing those big numbers and feeling sick to my stomach because I'd overate once again was what finally did it for me. Also, I began to go on Pinterest/Weight Loss blogs and began to seek inspiration from others. I love reading the Cinderella Stories of weight loss success! Okay, I've written a book here so I will release you. :) Best of luck to you!
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    high protein, high fat, low carb. high carb cheat day once a week
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Mix up your workouts so you don't get bored! Boredom is one of the biggest reasons we fail at this. Cutting down on the sodium helps if you are a daily weigher - your weight doesn't fluctuate as much if you watch your salt (in my experience anyway!). And WATER WATER AND MORE WATER!!!!!
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thank you for some of your answers...to the 'simple' answers...really? Obviously reduce calories and move more! Maybe I should be a little more specific...like are you doing a certain type of workout ei bootcamp, DVDs...are you following a high protein diet or still eating a balanced diet but staying under calories...tdee? Tdee - 20%? How a you figuring out your calories?

Weigh and measure everything and log everything accurately every single day. It is that simple. Radical changes tend to lead to failure. I kept it simple this time around by just counting calories based on the MFP goal calculator set to lose 1 pound per week.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 with two little ones. I've done a variety of things over the last 3 years.

What finally has me consistent is home DVDs that I (sadly) have to start at 5:30am.

I Did one program called Combat, I Loved it. (after trying a Kick class in a gym)
    I finished T25 two weeks ago.

Now I'm combining them and deciding on the next full program.

Hope that helps
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    First, figure out the amount of calories you need to eat at or below to lose: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    Then, track everything you eat using MFP. You might need to use a food scale and/or measuring tools for accuracy.
    Finally, find an exercise you enjoy and do it. This will allow you to eat more and is just plain good for you. I do a combination of different cardio work outs and am working on adding weight training.

Really, it is simple. For me, I also removed most processed foods because I feel better without them. But, that's my personal choice. You'll still lose if you eat them, just keep yourself at or under your calorie allotment including exercise. Be careful, MFP overestimates the number of calories burned so I try to eat back only half.

You're young, it should be fairly easy for you. The older you get, the harder it is to take off. If you have a bad day, just start fresh the next. I look at my calorie intake more as a weekly total and if I know that I'm going to be eating more calories than normal, I up my exercise. If I can do it, anyone can.

Best of luck!
  • NancGreen
    NancGreen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What is working for me is following a low carb Atkins type way of eating. More protein, less refined carbs. I am eating mostly protein and small amounts of plant based carbs only, nothing processed at all. and no bread, potatoes, rice or sugars. It's working for me. I have to admit that I do get hungry in the evening, so I try to drink lots of water and when I need a snack I have Greek yogurt plain with a few frozen blueberries. I guess I have been doing a combination of Wheat Belly and Atkins, making it work for my tastes. Its tough, no denying that, because I still have cravings. You just have to find what works for you, oh, and I am on the treadmill every morning for 1/2 hour before work, and I think that jump starts my weight loss. Lots of water, I read that you should drink 1/2 of your body weight in ounces. All the best!
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I track everything, including weighing almost everything as well. I no longer "eye-ball" portions. Been trying to reduce processed foods for health benefits but not strict about it. 40/30/30 macros has worked really well for me. I don't always hit it spot on but I feel awful if I don't get at least 80g protein.

For exercise I just do what I can (I have back issues)... walking up inline, elliptical, bike, weight machines (can't do free weights but I've heard they're better if you don't have that restriction).