Wine and me

Options
There have been three people in my relationship for a long time. My boyfriend and a bottle of wine (technically not a person I know, although at times I love it like it were.)

I've always had an unhealthy relationship with alcohol, although I've finally moved on from the dark days at university when each night would only ever end in one of two ways - crying uncontrollably on the bathroom floor, or falling into bed with a stranger.

These days I'm more likely to avoid the clubs and escape from my head in front of the TV, or mask my self-consciousness in a pub or friend's house. Does anyone actually drink to enhance a good time? Because for as long as I can remember I have only ever used alcohol to mask a bad time or create a good one. Chasing oblivion was exciting, but so very destructive.

I now have a settled home with a partner and a dog (what I've always wanted) so I have no reason now to lean on alcohol as a friend. So why do I still do it? Why do I dash to the wine aisle in Waitrose and drive home in shame, knowing how disappointed my boyfriend will be when he hears the clunk of the bottle sliding into the fridge?

Well I'm soon going to find out why,because this is day two of 31 days with my own head, without alcohol,

As soon as the clock struck midnight on New Year's Eve I tipped the rest of my glass of cava down the sink. And felt scared.

Another 29 days alcohol free will be hard, but I know it will change me for the better. Is anyone else in a similar situation?

Replies

• Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Congrats and good luck. Soemthing like yoga or meditation might be helpful for managing the change.
  • melr01
    melr01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    First of all let me know good for you. Just keep going one day at a time. In the past I had times where I used alcohol to escape but thankfully I'm not in that place now and I can drink and not have a problem. I seldom get out of hand and almost always stay within my limits. Addiction runs in my family and I used to work at a drug and alcohol rehab clinic (as admin, not a counselor). Quitting on your own is going to be hard but it sounds like you have a great support system with your boyfriend. I would also look into attending AA meetings as you may find them very helpful. Remember that you control your mood and you reactions. You CAN have a good time without alcohol. I wish you all the best. Feel free to add me if you need additional support.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I just can't do it yet! Hope you gave success!

~Jill~ :flowerforyou:
  • gunnadoit28
    Options
    Great job!
    Be really proud of yourself
    Im 60 days sober today ( whisky though) not wine