Pre portioned meals?

Options
Hey, so I'm new here. And honestly I'm not sure how this works. But anyways, I have at least 100 pounds to lose... Aiming to lose 50 by July. I need to start working on portion control and making healthy choices, so I guess my question is will things like lean cuisine, healthy choice, green giant steamers, etc. help me get portions and stuff
Under control and help me lose weight? I'll also be walking a three mile path 2-3 times a week and/or taking my dogs to a park and walking them there. And help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! Thanks guys!
Also, for anyone curious; I'm 6'1.5 and problem areas are my stomach, back, arms and face. :p

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Most of those prepared frozen meals provide very little food, and lots of sodium, for the number of calories they provide. If you prepare meals yourself, you will find you can eat a lot more, it will be more nutritious, and it will taste a hell of a lot better.

Of course, it takes some learning and experience to know what to prepare, and how, and how much, and if starting with those prepared foods as you learn to integrate home cooking into your life helps...then by all means use them as a tool to get where you need to go.
  • Micbou1
    Micbou1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I never eat the processed foods. They are full of salt and fat and not verry tasty. Lots of fruits, veggies, lean meats and just count your calories. I try to folow the canada food guide. I also read lots o forums here on MFP. Good luck!
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have a girl friend that went that path and now she is on High Blood Pressure medication all processed food is loaded with sodium she did lose weight but traded one problem for another. Why not make your own portion controlled meals. you can cook a meat add a starch and a vegetable. put them in containers in the fridge and control your sodium.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i would recommend cooking your own food as well. Get a digital scale, weigh your foods, when you slice up an apple, weigh it. Peel and orange, weigh it. Weigh crackers. weigh it all.

For recipes, weigh each ingredient and use the recipe creator here. Find the items that don't have an asterisk.

Learning how to cook better foods, learning what calories are in foods, realizing what a serving of pretzels is will help you in the long run.

If it helps, sure get yourself a few prepared meals but start incorporating your own foods asap. Take control of what you put in your mouth! :) best of luck
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Do you have health insurance? If so, check if they offer free sessions w/ a nutritionist. I suspect most major ones would provide some. That can help you get started.

Chicken, Pork, Beef in moderation, veggies, fruits. Here's a link about portion sizes, http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-portion-size-plate.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I agree except you can still eat frozen veggies....Of course with no sauces or cheeses added on for less salt....I eat about 90-95% frozen veggies. As for the other frozen meals avoid those. Just an example btw I also buy alot of green giant frozen veggies http://www.generalmills.com/Home/Brands/Vegetables/Green Giant/Brand Product List Page.aspx#{0915F8F2-DD6F-4274-B0B3-6BA7E29C6E8C}
  • thewallflower1428
    thewallflower1428 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! It wouldn't be a permanent thing, just to get me on the right path. Also, how do you get your slider thing on your comments? :p Sorry if that's a stupid question.
  • thewallflower1428
    Options
    Thanks guys! It wouldn't be a permanent thing, just to get me on the right path. Also, how do you get your slider thing on your comments? :p Sorry if that's a stupid question.
  • jennegan1
    Options

Hold on a min I dont remember lol let me look at my profile and let you know
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan, but I do batch cook large amounts on the weekends, divide it into individual portions and then freeze it back for lunches/dinners during the week when I don't want to cook. It has the benefits of frozen food, but I know it will taste good, and I know what's in it. I will also use the crock pot/slow cooker, which allows me to be lazy and cook at the same time. :laugh:
  • thewallflower1428
    Options
    I know alot of people do that, but I don't think it would work that well for me, I'm not a good cook and my family is all about the comfort foods!
  • jennegan1
    Options
    I dont know if your mobile or not but on the computer go to "My Home" under that youll see Profile in the darker blue click on that then under "My Progress" Click on Personalize Ticker
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    When I started out, I ate a lot of these meals! I've never had a problem with high blood pressure as mine is usually low-normal, and I don't usually like salty foods, so I didn't see sodium as a big problem. It was helpful in the beginning to get portion control, but one issue is that the portions are quite small, so you may feel deprived. I used to dislike most vegetables, so the small portions of vegetables helped me get used to them, but now I find that there are never enough veggies, which are so low-calorie! Now that I know how to cook, I never keep frozen meals around because I'll get lazy and eat them instead. Also, I never find them as satisfying as a home-cooked meal with whole grains, lean protein, and lots of veggies!

Also, you may not be a good cook now, but you can learn to be one! I taught myself when I was a senior in high school, mostly just by using cookbooks (and asking my mom a lot of dumb questions). Also, if your family won't be into the foods you want to cook, just make some for yourself! I cook for myself all the time, especially when I lived in a dorm last year. You could even make extra and freeze or refrigerate the leftovers for future meals! However, if you're going to do that, I recommend you portion it into separate containers before eating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would recommend just preparing your own foods and portioning out appropriately. Use the recipe builder for stuff like soups and stews...casseroles, etc. Otherwise you can just log whatever you are eating at the appropriate portion. Example...tonight I'm having 1.5 servings of mahimahi @ a total of 6 ounces; one serving of boiled new potatoes @ 150 grams and 1 serving of green beans @ 85 grams. I will also be using some olive oil for the green beans, a small bit of butter on the potatoes and pan frying my fish in a bit of avocado oil...I will measure those amounts out appropriately as well.
  • BigAlNyc
    BigAlNyc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Pre-portioned meals that are frozen can be done if you track all the nutrition, the database here is pretty good. You might want to look at pre-portioned meals from better stores, I did nutrisystem (pre-packaged meals) a while back and they left me hungry and the results were not that great.

Portion sizes should be weighed if your cooking yourself. Rule of thumb is a portion is what will fit in your palm.

Get a food scale (20-30 dollars) and track what your eating now on MFP for a week, be deligent in your entries. You can the see what might be the items that may be holding you back.
  • 302cupcake
    Options
    If you are 18 and live with a family that is all about comfort foods, the frozen dinners aren't that bad. It also sounds like you may not be able to do your own shopping or have a place to cook for yourself.

Most of the brands of meals have lowered the sodium content, compared to years ago, and they will help you learn about smaller portions. I eat them at times when the meal for the rest of the family is too calorie laden for me, so much easier than cooking a separate meal from scratch and my blood pressure is lower than average.

It helps to add some veggies to the meal if it doesn't fill you up.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I know alot of people do that, but I don't think it would work that well for me, I'm not a good cook and my family is all about the comfort foods!
    You can eat anything within your calorie goal and lose weight (hence the twinkie diet). If you can't cook and your family makes food that you don't want to eat, then frozen meals may be a good alternative for you. You may want to supplement with other salads and vegetables of whatever if you're still hungry and they don't fill you up. If they really don't keep you satiated, then they may not be the best option for you. I always felt hungry after eating a lean cuisine.

Definitely check out the nutrition values on the different options and find what fits in your calorie goals. You could also try eating what your family eats, but in smaller portions. If it's a huge meal full of calories, eat half of what they eat and make yourself a salad too. There are plenty of ways to cut calories.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of them early on. They helped to keep my calorie count low and to shrink my tummy. Eventually I got sick of them and am now eating real whole foods. But I fully believe that I couldn't have done it without learning from proportioned meals.

My only warning is that you may want to add in two servings of veggies and plan done protein heavy snacks because chances are one won't satisfy somebody tall for long. Most of them are low in veggies and protein.

around where I live we have something called my fit foods. It is basically fresh lean cuisines. They have more veggies, are fresh, and have a higher quality protein. Maybe you can find something similar around you that will solve the questionable health issues of frozen meals.

But personally... Being 100 lbs overweight and eating fast food did more damage to my blood pressure than eating 1 or 2 frozen meals could. My blood pressure abd chloresterol is now perfect. :)
  • thewallflower1428
    Options
    The one thing that does really concern me is the sodium content. I have normal to slightly higher BP normally, and at times it will skyrocket and I end up with a nose bleed (ex. Panic attacks, crying, etc.) But then again I have always been raised somewhat Paula Deen style... As in, if it doesn't have a stick of butter and a cup of salt, it isn't worth eating! Lol I'm not to keen on alot of salt, butter, or oil on things tbh, bc I have Aspergers and that comes along with sensory problems. I'm pretty picky with what I eat. If the texture of gross, I won't eat it. So I feel like that might help me. And no, I don't really get much choice in what gets bought at the grocery store. Hoping to move out in the next year or two, so that I CAN be in control.. But until then? Eh.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    but I don't think it would work that well for me, I'm not a good cook...

Nerd Fitness has lots of posts on simple cooking for people who have no idea how to cook...
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/04/08/how-to-cook-steves-go-to-healthy-meal/
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/02/21/a-decent-meal/
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/03/11/10-meals/

most of their focus is on "paleo" eating, but the recipes are geared towards people who don't know anything about cooking.