100 cal packs??

Options
Hi I was wondering if the 100 cal packs are any good?? I know they taste ok, i have had them all, but are they healthy for you? Would be better to eat a real choc chip cookie or the 100 cal ones??? just looking for your opinion :)

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I woud not say they are healthy - just lower calorie. Some here would say garbage - but I do enjoy them from time to time - especially when I need a little treat. Gotta do what you can stay with forever - and Ineed my treats!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I don't think its a matter of 'healthier' -- 100 cal packs are about controlling your portion. If you can do that on your own (I for instance CAN limit myself to 1/2 of a giant Jacque Torres 220 cal choc chip cookie) than go for it. But many people feel like it pushes their self control too far, so the 100 cal packs kinda help with that.
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    No they may only be 100 cals but they are 100 cals of fat and sugar. Your better off making your own snacks with whole grains veggies and fruits :)
  • bubblez_x3
    Options
    Personally I like them because when it comes down to it its all about portions and calories. I wouldn't advise to eat them daily but every 2 days I do crackers, Chex mix etc.. yum! And quick and easy!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    It is okay to have as a treat from time to time. Not everyday because all they are are filled with sugar (which also causes weight gain). All they did is control your portion. It is not "healthy."
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I use them for when I need a cookie or something and portion control with that. They are more expensive than just buying a box, but sometimes I know I can't handle a box full and contain myself to a proper portion! Or at least a portion that won't kill my day! Or my week!

But I found a healthy one! Vitamuffin Vitatops. It's a muffin top. The fiber one was not tasty, but the chocolate and banana nut one was! It's got lots of vitamines, fiber, protein, etc.... Surprisingly satisfying, too. I tried the breakfast sandwich today which is 150 calorie whole wheat muffin with cheese and egg. Unfortunately it was sort of tasteless, but still full of nutrition and low cal.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat them. I personally think it's way more than just calories. I think processed foods and sugar are a MAJOR issue. So I would rather eat a cookie that has more calories and is made with whole, organic foods (oats, nuts, fruit, chocolate) so actually has some nutritional value to me than a lot of added chemicals and sugar.
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I use them for when I need a cookie or something and portion control with that. They are more expensive than just buying a box, but sometimes I know I can't handle a box full and contain myself to a proper portion! Or at least a portion that won't kill my day! Or my week!

But I found a healthy one! Vitamuffin Vitatops. It's a muffin top. The fiber one was not tasty, but the chocolate and banana nut one was! It's got lots of vitamines, fiber, protein, etc.... Surprisingly satisfying, too. I tried the breakfast sandwich today which is 150 calorie whole wheat muffin with cheese and egg. Unfortunately it was sort of tasteless, but still full of nutrition and low cal.

I was looking for these at the store but couldnt find them.... Where have you purchased them?
  • queenofdisney
    Options
    i like them a lot because it feeds my carb/sugar need without having it be too many calories
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    No, I do not think they are healthy. Look at how much salt and sugar they have in them. Salt and sugar both hold fat in you body making you bloated and unhealthy. If you have a sweet tooth crave--make a healthy brownie from scratch or maybe one cookie instead.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat them. It's the SAME food just in a smaller package. They are not good for you. They're full of processed junk and sugars.

Vitamuffins are all organic and good for you. They are delicious! The only kinds I didn't care for as much are the Bluebran and CranBran.

Try having low cal, low sugar things. Have fruit! Cheese, yogurt, sugar free jell-o and puddings, triscuits with cheese, popcorn, etc. Just make sure your portions are ok and the food you are eating is as natural as possible w/o all the added crap!
  • kimchee_man
    Options
    hey this guy ate all these snacks and still lost weight. hahahaha
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

but in the end its better to just eat some fruit
  • jerseygirl777
    Options
    When I first started my journey, I used to eat them. Then, I realized they lack essential nutrients and are full of sugar and fat. Personally, I wouldn't add them to my every day foods. I think if you are having a craving, it may help since its a single package instead of maybe opening a whole bag of cookies. BUT, just be aware of what is in them. Also, try to create your own 100 cal packs with healthier options like almonds, special k crackers, veggies, etc. Good luck!
  • MadiCole
    Options
    Back when I first started changing my eating habits, I bought one box of 100 calorie cookie packs. Never again - I found out I couldn't limit myself to just one pack. I ended up snacking on 2 or 3. I realized pretty quickly that it would not only become an unhealthy habit, but an expensive one.
  • suzukigrl
    Options
    to me, they're like eating air. so few cookies or crackers. i think it's better to have one or two actual cookies. just put them in a baggie and take them with you. it's enough to keep you from going nuts, on a binge or hit the vending machines. that works the best for me. hope this helps.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options

I was looking for these at the store but couldnt find them.... Where have you purchased them?

The frozen section at Target
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    So, I was really stoked on VitaTops until I did a nutrition consultation with the instructor of my outdoor fitness class. I have a huge sweet tooth, so I loved having a little chocolate to nosh. She doesn't think they're healthy because the second ingredient is sugar (it doesn't say this on the box, on the box it says "evaporated cane juice," but on the wrapping of the actual muffin it says "organic sugar."). She did say that if you have issues with portion control (and I do), then it's a good thing. Here's what I'm doing now to satisfy my sweet tooth - I bought a 70% dark chocolate bar and hid it in the freezer. I had two squares as a treat last night. So far, so good.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the 100 cal packs. No, they aren't healthy, but I'm no saint. If I was craving Oreo Creme Cakes I would buy the crap out of the 100 cal pack of those. At least that way I could get my fix. So far, I haven't had that craving (maybe the dark chocolate is working?).
  • dancah18
    Options
    Personally, I love the 100 calorie packs! I am definitely Little Miss Junk Food so weight loss is hard for me sometimes because I feel like I have to cut out all of my sweets! The 100 C.Ps help me feel like i'm eating stuff that I love that I don't necessarily have to worry about. (If that even makes sense.) Plus, since I am hypoglycemic, the portion control helps. I have discovered that if I can kinda trick my body into thinking I am having things i'm not supposed to that I love, I have a little bit of an easier time! I know it sounds crazy but it works for me! haha! That's just my opinion. Hope it helps!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You can get 100 calorie packs of raw almonds now too. I use these for my mid morning and afternoon snacks because I hate counting out individual nuts to make my own.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I just make sure I go by the serving suggestion when I eat something I know I shouldn't necessarily have... I don't want to waste my money on the 100 calorie packs because I get cravings for stuff that don't last long so a box would do me no good. I would feel like I had to eat the whole box so it wouldn't go to waste. So instead, recently I bought a small bag of Gardetto's at the gas station. I was able to eat it in the serving suggestions (or two instead of the whole bag) and then eat a little later, versus buying the full bag and eating the whole thing in one sitting like I used to.

If you have self-control and can do that, go for it. If not, then try the 100 calorie packs. I know a lot of people swear by them but if you're wanting to just eat clean, I'd say eliminate them from your normal food rotation and just use them as a treat (or buy the real thing).