Losing the weight WITHOUT RUNNING

Options
I have a question geared towards people who started out between 190-220 and have lost 30 pounds or more. Im curious as to what changes you made and what exercises you did and the time frame it took you to lose the weight? Other people are welcome to give input but please keep snarky comments to yourself.

Has anyone in this range lost the weight without running just walking along with other exercises. I am not willing to start running at this point so I would ask that anyone who wants to suggest running keep it to themselves because Im quite aware of how it helps you lose weight. Im just interested in hearing other options from people who started out in this weight range.

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I started lower than you but I'm popping in to say that you dont have to run EVER if you dont want.

yes, running helps you lose weight. But so does walking, hiking, cycling, etc. Find an exercise you enjoy and can be consistent with to lead you on your path to a healthier you!

And lastly, your disclaimer on tye snark isnt going to keep it out. It is a public forum.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I dont run.

Calorie deficit and weight training for me. Running bothers the disc issues I have in my back. It took me about 4 months to lose 30 pounds, and then it really slowed down, but my body kept looking better and better, so the scale mattered less.

there is a about a 45 pound difference between these pictures.
    fc85c5a2-a498-4227-a7c5-0eda83dd2559_zps97e15cac.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Running has never been absolutely necessary for weight loss. The only thing *necessary* for weight loss is a calorie deficit.

ETA: To be clear, walking has never been absolutely necessary for weight loss either...but it's a healthy activity (much like running), so why wouldn't you do it? I'll also recommend strength training now for various positive reasons too.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    My first go around losing weight (before I had my last baby), I did a lot of walking DVDs (Walk Away the Pounds), Biggest Loser DVDs and Turbo Jam. I did eventually start running, but you absolutely don't need to do that.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Well I started around 200 (before joining MFP). I will admit though, I run. I also lift, and bike, and swim. But you don't have to run. Find something you enjoy, and do it.
    As for my weight loss, the biggest changes I made were with my diet. More veggies, less junk, reasonable portions. As long as you are at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I lost 37lbs in about a year. I lift. I don't do cardio because I do not like it, unless you count barbell complexes as cardio.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight without running. I run now, but not for weight loss.

All you need to calorie deficit. How you accomplish that is up to you.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I started at 190. I have done a variety of things since I started including running but I've lost the most weight and inches through weight training with just some light cardio thrown in here and there. I don't run anymore due to an injury I suffered from running. Go figure.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight without running. I run now, but not for weight loss.

All you need to calorie deficit. How you accomplish that is up to you.

100% this (well, 95% since I did a little bit of running while I was losing most of my weight, but it was the caloric deficit bit that really did the magic).
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Running is the worst thing in the world. If you see me running, you better start running too because there's a bear or tiger on my tail.

You don't need to do any sort of intense cardio. Just be moderately active doing something fun a couple times a week, and do some resistance training. You lose weight by controlling what you eat, not by running.
  • HexyleneGlycol
    Options
    I dont run.

Calorie deficit and weight training for me. Running bothers the disc issues I have in my back. It took me about 4 months to lose 30 pounds, and then it really slowed down, but my body kept looking better and better, so the scale mattered less.

there is a about a 45 pound difference between these pictures.
    fc85c5a2-a498-4227-a7c5-0eda83dd2559_zps97e15cac.jpg

WOW!! Your progress is amazing BTW! May I ask what weight you were when you started??? I feel discouraged now cuz Ive only lost 5 pounds in almost 3 months!!! :-(
  • HexyleneGlycol
    Options
    I started at 190. I have done a variety of things since I started including running but I've lost the most weight and inches through weight training with just some light cardio thrown in here and there. I don't run anymore due to an injury I suffered from running. Go figure.

WOW! 40 pounds just from strength training!!!??? You are my idol. That is my dream, cuz I love lifting weight and hate cardio!!!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Very little cardio done by both me and my fiancee to make contest shape, perhaps 10-12 sessions in 12-16 weeks. All done with diet and resistance training.

You can see Yo's diet here - http://team-wild.com/2013/11/26/yos-cutting-diet-for-the-arnolds/

yo291013until050513.jpg