Veggie Loading

Options
Ok, everyone knows that you should eat lots of veggies: healthy, low calorie, high fiber, etc, etc, etc. And many people recommend filling up on large amounts of raw or steamed veggies in order to feel satisfied so you don't indulge in less healthy foods. It sounds good in theory, but whenever I TRY it I end up feeling ravenous just minutes later. Like painfully, violently hungry. I am drinking an average of 9 glasses of water every day and I never eat less than 1300 calories, so I'm not thirsty and I'm not starving.

Anyone else have this problem, or am I the only one? :grumble: :huh:

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    Ok, everyone knows that you should eat lots of veggies: healthy, low calorie, high fiber, etc, etc, etc. And many people recommend filling up on large amounts of raw or steamed veggies in order to feel satisfied so you don't indulge in less healthy foods. It sounds good in theory, but whenever I TRY it I end up feeling ravenous just minutes later. Like painfully, violently hungry. I am drinking an average of 9 glasses of water every day and I never eat less than 1300 calories, so I'm not thirsty and I'm not starving.

Anyone else have this problem, or am I the only one? :grumble: :huh:
    Well, don't eat just veg. Veg is good and I eat tons but I include them with all my protein, fat, dairy sources etc.....I'm not sure why people feel they need to somehow throw out the baby with the bathwater.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Because while veggies and all that fiber ARE good for you, it is proteins and fats that are more satiating and keep you feeling full for much longer. Balance! :smile:

A lot of people start trying to get healthy and cut too much fat from their diets. We need fat, go for healthy fats in avocados, nuts & seeds, fish, olive oil, etc.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Because while veggies and all that fiber ARE good for you, it is proteins and fats that are more satiating and keep you feeling full for much longer. Balance! :smile:

A lot of people start trying to get healthy and cut too much fat from their diets. We need fat, go for healthy fats in avocados, nuts & seeds, fish, olive oil, etc.

absolutely.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of veggies for the volume, the fiber, and because I love veggies. But protein is what helps keep you full, and you shouldn't assume that you're meeting your nutritional requirements just because you're eating "healthy", low-calorie foods. Have you tried pairing all those veggies with protein and fat sources?
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options

I eat a fully balanced diet, with a little olive oil at each meal, whole eggs, milk products, avocados, lean protein, and complex/simple carbs. Its not that I'm trying to get all of my calories by eating as veggies - I'm just trying to understand why eating veggies makes me feel hungrier than not eating at all. It makes no logical sense lol
  • neanderthin
    Options

I eat a fully balanced diet, with a little olive oil at each meal, whole eggs, milk products, avocados, lean protein, and complex/simple carbs. Its not that I'm trying to get all of my calories by eating as veggies - I'm just trying to understand why eating veggies makes me feel hungrier than not eating at all. It makes no logical sense lol
    How many calories less are you eating now then when you felt more satiated? Basically what and how much food have you removed.
  • Codilee87
    Options
    Just had a baked chicken breast with couscous, spinach, carrots, onions & pineapple plus a mango/apple salad for dinner. It was delicious and very high in protein - and I used olive oil to sauté the veggies :)
  • Codilee87
    Options

How many calories less are you eating now then when you felt more satiated? Basically what and how much food have you removed.

I aim to eat 1600 calories everyday, adding calories as necessary to compensate for workouts. Prior to this I was eating approx. 2000 cal per day
  • neanderthin
    Options
    That's seems like a decent meal that shouldn't make you feel ravenous shortly after, but sometimes and for weeks on end I too find that I can eat more without feeling full, it happens......maybe that will change as time goes by.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I just eat all the foods and hit my macros and stay in deficit when I am on a cut...
  • Codilee87
    Options
    Well, I certainly hope it changes. There has been times when I finish eating dinner (and have hit my calorie goal for the day) but still feel hungry and have the evening munchies, so I would steam a large bowl of broccoli and slowly nibble on that but it just makes me way hungrier.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Just had a baked chicken breast with couscous, spinach, carrots, onions & pineapple plus a mango/apple salad for dinner. It was delicious and very high in protein - and I used olive oil to sauté the veggies :)
    define "high in protein." because I see protein bars or frozen meals that are marketed as "high protein" that only have 9g of protein.
  • Codilee87
    Options
    define "high in protein." because I see protein bars or frozen meals that are marketed as "high protein" that only have 9g of protein.

Well dinner was about 63 grams of protein, the whole day was 111 grams.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'd feel ravenous if I ate steamed veg, too. What I do is fry in butter or olive oil. Sometimes, I fry bacon in the pan before adding the veg. The fat component makes it more yummy and satiates me.
  • Codilee87
    Options
    I'd feel ravenous if I ate steamed veg, too. What I do is fry in butter or olive oil. Sometimes, I fry bacon in the pan before adding the veg. The fat component makes it more yummy and satiates me.

Lol as delicious that sounds, I usually try to do my veggie loading at the end of the day after I've already hit my macros so adding a bunch of oil and bacon wouldn't be feasible.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I too have experienced this feeling after a 60-ish gram protein meal with chicken breast and tons of vegetables and healthy fat. It seems to go along with a lack of starchy carbs for me. I'm better off having *slightly* less protein and a *little* starch. But you mentioned the couscous, so that may not be the key for you.

You say you're trying to do the veggie loading all at once at the end of the day after you've hit your macros, so what I would suggest trying is spacing it more evenly throughout the day and save a little fat so you can add it to the veggies. I have some veggies sauteed into my breakfast egg scramble and then two servings each at lunch and dinner.

I don't know if it'd work for you, but maybe worth a try?
  • Codilee87
    Options
    I too have experienced this feeling after a 60-ish gram protein meal with chicken breast and tons of vegetables and healthy fat. It seems to go along with a lack of starchy carbs for me. I'm better off having *slightly* less protein and a *little* starch. But you mentioned the couscous, so that may not be the key for you.

You say you're trying to do the veggie loading all at once at the end of the day after you've hit your macros, so what I would suggest trying is spacing it more evenly throughout the day and save a little fat so you can add it to the veggies. I have some veggies sauteed into my breakfast egg scramble and then two servings each at lunch and dinner.

I don't know if it'd work for you, but maybe worth a try?

That is a good suggestion, maybe adding a little homemade dressing would solve the problem. I do eat plenty of fruit and veggies throughout the day but I have a tendency toward unhealthy snacking in the evenings so I thought eating a bowl of veggies would be better than eating a bowl of chips lol
  • laschndr
    Options
    Well, I certainly hope it changes. There has been times when I finish eating dinner (and have hit my calorie goal for the day) but still feel hungry and have the evening munchies, so I would steam a large bowl of broccoli and slowly nibble on that but it just makes me way hungrier.

When I eat a nice portion of meat and a ton of veggies for dinner it doesn't stick with me very long. I even try to eat later in the evening so I can go to sleep before the growling in my stomach begins. This has always irritated me because protein is supposed to keep you full, they say.

Nonetheless, if snacking on a giant bowl of steamed veggies isn't helping your munchies, don't do it! Maybe it's mental because you're trying to eat something you don't even want. How about plain popcorn or something? Reserve a hundred calories for the evening when you know you're going to want something that isn't broccoli.
  • Codilee87
    Options

When I eat a nice portion of meat and a ton of veggies for dinner it doesn't stick with me very long. I even try to eat later in the evening so I can go to sleep before the growling in my stomach begins. This has always irritated me because protein is supposed to keep you full, they say.

Nonetheless, if snacking on a giant bowl of steamed veggies isn't helping your munchies, don't do it! Maybe it's mental because you're trying to eat something you don't even want. How about plain popcorn or something? Reserve a hundred calories for the evening when you know you're going to want something that isn't broccoli.

I actually love veggies. I really enjoy eating them, but I am definitely in the mood for something more indulgent. I don't think its just boredom/emotional hunger because it physically aches but for some reason the veggies don't help at all. I mean, food is food, right? My body shouldn't respond to eating by being more hungry.
  • hobbit_mom
    hobbit_mom Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's not a true hunger... it's bloat. Try taking a beano or something similar, or a cup of hot tea.