Push through it or day off?

Options
I am soo sore I can't even hardly walk from my first night of kettle bells. Should I push through and do it or take a night off? I think I will do a short workout to burn some cals.

Replies

• asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    If you can hardly walk, then you might want to take a rest day today. You don't want to injure yourself and end up having to take a whole week off. Try some stretching or yoga if you just want to work out.
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Push through it. Get it in your mind that the exercise will make the soreness go away, kind of like scratching an itch. You'll thank yourself later.
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    I would still workout. It will help with the soreness. I would not however do the same workout as you did the day before. It is important to take a rest (or cardio) day in between resistance training, Unless you are working a different muscle group then thats fine. :)
  • dudleyvic
    Options
    The soreness will go away during exercise. Do something with your upper body that doesn't move your legs much. Do something I say.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I had such sore legs after I did a similiar workout that I could hardly walk as well. I took a day off but the pain was still as intense if not more 2 days later. I just pushed through the pain and it went away after about 2 days and now I don't get any soreness that severve in my legs when I do that work out. Push through it, it will help in the long run.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    This is a good sort of pain. Working out can help loosen your muscles and make them hurt less. Then drink a LOT to help flush out the lactic acid that your muscles release. That's what causes the pain. You don't have to work out super hard, you actually should let the muscles that hurt rest a little before working them hard again, but walking or easy elliptical would be good for you.
  • lawrahmck
    Options
    Go for a long walk & get the legs moving but don't overdo it. A nice stretch to finish off & you should be good to go tomorrow :smile:
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Push through it lightly!! Take a walk... something along that lines, that will help actually get rid of the sorness faster than if you were to just sit on the couch!
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm flabbergasted at the responses. My advice is to take the night off. It's not just about lactic acid. I agree that a little cardio couldn't hurt but in general if you rest you will come back stronger.

You don't build muscles during a workout. You build muscles during the recovery period between workouts. You can work out everyday by targeting different muscle groups on alternating days.

I was working my abs on a daily basis. Abs in general don't need the same recovery cycle as other muscle groups but in some cases they do need a break. I was stalling in my progress so I decided to take two days off from working abs. When I got back into it my progress had doubled.

Russian Olympic trainers came up with the concept of "Active Rest". You can give your muscles a break from training but still make some gains by doing fun physical activities, like sports or dancing. This may not even apply in your case where you are in a good deal of actual pain. You may need to just rest and let mother nature do its work.

I am skeptical about working out to help loosen the muscles. I have experienced this before and it does work but it can also increase the risk of injury, but then again that depends on what you are doing.

In addition if you are working with weakened or sore muscles you are not going to be able to work those muscles fully. Instead of having a great workout after a days rest you will have a couple of mediocre workouts that do little to help your long term progress. You may burn more calories by not taking a break but in the long term you will reduce your calorie burning potential.

Shows like the Biggest Loser appear to work their contestants daily, but I doubt that is the case. Even if they did it is probably because they are very obese and any the focus is on weight loss and not muscle retention.

Still, try to avoid taking more than 3 days off a week even if it means working out when you are sore. Muscle soreness does have a tendency to become an excuse to not exercise. I think that is why some people are suggesting you work through it.
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    I'm going to do a light workout on the elliptical to burn a few cals even though I am sore. Going to take a break from kettlebells and hit it hard tomorrow!
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    Just pushed through. Burned only about 100 cals but it was enough to put me under my calorie goal for the stay. I stayed under 3 days in a row now :-) I hope this continues and I start seeing results!
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Good job. :) PS maybe you should workout a workout schedule. Thats what I do, so I know when to take my rest days :) I never work the same muscle groups 2 days in a row so I will either take a rest day or do some cardio :) Keep up the good work!
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    A workout schedule is a great idea. I didn't know I'd be this sore after kettlebells because I had never worked out with them before. I know now not to do them two days in a row and take a cardio day. I only plan to rest once a week.