Water intake

Options
Is drinking water important to weight loss? I am still trying to balance my eating habits and still learning new things about myself, so my question about water is in a better part, a way to educate myself. Maybe I should explain my predicament first. I drink water daily probably not as much as I should but I do get in 2- 16 oz cups daily. Which is equivalent of 4 cups of water which is half of the recommended intake. Most days five of seven days I get the full recommended amount. However, since changing my eating habits some, not as many sweets, it seems I feel constantly dehydrated. Parched mouth, throat, and lips. What is going on. And before then I was losing pounds and felt hydrated since feel dehydrated I have been at a stand still. It seems my body is holding every calorie hostage. So again is how much water you drink important to dieting? Sorry for being long winded.

P.s. What can I do about the dehydrated feeling? I have increased water intake but it's not helping. Thanks anyone that responds to me in advance.

Replies

• ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It is extremely important. Helps remove toxins from your body plus many other benefits from it. You are suppose to drink half your body weight in ounces but of course that in itself is overwhelming. So slowly incorporate it and with time you will be used to drinking a lot of it.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Have you asked your doctor this question?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    It is extremely important. Helps remove toxins from your body plus many other benefits from it. You are suppose to drink half your body weight in ounces but of course that in itself is overwhelming. So slowly incorporate it and with time you will be used to drinking a lot of it.

What toxins?
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Toxins can be like food additives, chemical ingredients, pretty much food that is highly processed.
  • SunkissedBrownSugga
    Options
    You are suppose to drink half your body weight in ounces but of course that in itself is overwhelming. So slowly incorporate it and with time you will be used to drinking a lot of it.

half my body weight in ounces is a lot of water! Lol. I weight 330. If that is not motivation to lose weight I don't know what is! At this rate I will be full off of the water. :laugh:
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Water itself won't help you lose fat.

Unless you are extremely dehydrated or drinking like 10 gallons of water / day(either extremities) you are fine.

Drinking water helps with 'diet' because it keeps you full and you'll feel less hungry if you're hydrated.

Drinking a cup or two of water right before you eat a meal will fill your stomach and you will feel full a lot faster, thus it will assist with weight loss.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd see a Dr. if you continue to feel dehydrated even with increased water intake. As for the amount of water - if your pee is almost clear you're getting enough... if it is dark you're not. Better way to judge than the # of cups.
  • SunkissedBrownSugga
    Options
    Nomeejerome, no but I think that I will make it a priority at my quarterly exam. Unless it is serious enough to warrant a visit sooner. I hope that my excessive dehydration isn't something terrible.

Thanks to you and ms_erica for commenting.
  • SunkissedBrownSugga
    Options
    As for the amount of water - if your pee is almost clear you're getting enough... if it is dark you're not. Better way to judge than the # of cups.

It sounds funny to say out loud, however, my urine is really light colored it's also like barely able to distinguish it from the bowl water. Sometimes I get in more than 8 cups of water, but everyday I get i. At least four guaranteed.
  • SunkissedBrownSugga
    Options
    Ready2Rock206 super cute tutu!
  • Greg2O14
    Greg2O14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm with others on this one I think a visit to the doctors would be a good course of action. Youve got nothing to lose from it and everything to gain.
  • SunkissedBrownSugga
    Options
    Thanks Edwardkim85, that explanation makes tons of sense to me. It reminds me of when I was in middle school and average size. My best friend was plus sized then and she always drank a huge cup of water before, during and after eating. I wondered if she was just thirsty back then or was there something else to it. But it makes sense if the water is taking up the bulk of the space in your stomach then the capacity for food would be smaller portions than normally eaten.
  • JJMaritz
    JJMaritz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Bear with me here....

Lipolysis and thermogenis are what cause you to loose fat. and if timed right loose the fat without the muscle.

This is how lipolysis works:

Fat loss is roughly a two step process. First, the fat is released from the fat cells. Triglycerides are broken down into 1 glycerol and 3 fatty acids, which are then released into the bloodstream. This step is called peripheral lipolysis.

Peripheral lipolysis is triggered by one hormone, and one hormone only: adrenaline.

- Low glycemic level (or blood sugar) in the bloodstream is one cause for adrenaline to be released.
    - The second is effort (adrenaline’s first role is to increase the heartrate, which brings more oxygen to your muscle cells when they are working).
    - The third is stress, or panic. This is the best-known cause for adrenaline release: the fight or flight situation. This aspect of stress actually makes it a cause for fat loss, but it also causes the secretion of cortisol. Too much cortisol has been associated with increased abdominal fat, but cortisol’s main function is to regulate your body’s biorythm (releasing glycogen in the morning, slowing it down during digestion and sleep…).

Adrenaline is more than just a survival mechanism in case of danger. Adrenaline sends a hormonal message to hormone sensitive lipase in the fat cells, triggering fat catabolism as described above.

But this is only the first step. Then the fatty acids are used by the cells (broken down into ATP – Krebs cycle, in the cell mitochondria), and the glycerol is broken down in the liver. But this only happens if your body actually needs the extra energy that blood sugar is not providing.

Any attempt to release fat from the fat cells when it isn’t needed (that need being caused by low sugar, effort) only leads to the fat being stored again.

Both stages of lipolysis require water and oxygen (lack of both is one of the common causes for difficulties losing fat despite dieting and workout efforts). Most people are spending all day choking themselves due to shallow breathing, and are dehydrated but do not notice either problems. Fixing those two is a great step towards a leaner, healthier body (but by no means the only ones).

Hope this answers your question.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Ready2Rock206 super cute tutu!

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • SunkissedBrownSugga
    Options
    Youve got nothing to lose from it and everything to gain.

Thanks that's a great assessment. I think I will call today to see if they can fit me in. I love the positive outlook on the dr. visit.
  • SunkissedBrownSugga
    Options
    JJMaritz. Thanks for that break down. I see now on the days that I am not getting all of the recommended water intake I am hurting myself in more ways than I realized. If the oxygen and water works hand in hand then I am really probably like you said dehydrated all along but never notice which is why when I over drink I just feel for sake of a better word normal and perform better. I think I may need to see a professional about why I am getting so dehydrated.
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi.. I would still check this with my doctor if I were you and if this problem had been lasting for a while.. Constantly dry mouth even after drinking lots of water can be related to abnormal glucose (sugar) level.. It might be nothing of course, I do not wish to scare you, but better safe than sorry.. Maybe your insulin is just acting up which can happen when we make sudden diet changes and calorie intakes.. But still, have this checked and stay safe
  • JJMaritz
    JJMaritz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Please by all means I agree with the other folks here.....YOU NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR FIRST. Even seasoned athletes schedule doctor visits on a frequent basis. I just wanted to give you an explanation on why water is important for fat loss.
  • katemckenna5
    katemckenna5 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Question for you. Are you peeing less than you used to? Feel sluggish and tired? Have any random nose bleeds or high blood pressure? I am asking because this scenario reminds me of myself about 5 years ago. I did nothing and soon after found out I had kidney failure. I don't want to freak you out but it could be more serious than others think. It's worth the early check up if you have any of the symptoms I listed above.

Best of luck!!

-Kate
  • SunkissedBrownSugga
    Options
    I have been urinating normally. Not any more or less. Sometimes I lack energy but its usually the days I don't take my vitamins. I have a disabled daughter that keeps me pretty busy. But most days I have energy to make through the whole day. One doctors said that I have high blood pressure. But it was only elevated really high that day, I was stressed and had not slept. However, I got a second and third opinion and both said the blood pressure is normal. Which the 1st Dr. was my doctor for Chron's. The other was my primary and the doctor he recommended. I even saw the eye doctor about this. Hoping if there were problems it would show in other ways because they can determine diabetes by your eyes but I was told everything looks normal. Call to make appointments for the doctor and neurologists today.