Swimming 1 mile?

Options
So I just used a calculator to see how many laps I would have to swim in a 50m pool to swim 1mile. The total amount came to 32 laps. Does that seem right to you? I swim for 60min at a time, but I have never actually counted how many laps I do and 32laps just seems like a lot to equal 1mile, especially when I run 4 in the same allotted time.

Replies

• blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    32 lengths of an Olympic pool - that is exactly correct. Next time you swim for an hour, I suspect you'll be surprised at how many lengths you so - my guess is you're swimming further than a mile without realizing it

(By the way - this is coming from a guy who can't swim one length of a leisure pool - just to give you some context!!)
  • angelmma
    angelmma Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yep thats correct. I swim in a 25 metre pool and its 64 lengths to get one mile. I always count each length I do so I can try and bet it. In the summer I was able to do 100 lengths. At this present time id probably die doing 20 haha.
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Swimming 1 mile in 60 mins is a rather slow pace, but if you can swim 1 mile in a single workout then bully for you! I really wonder how many people can claim that they can (or have) done that.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    remember this changes slightly if your pool is 25 yards instead of 25 meters

also in these shorter pools try to limit how hard you kick off the wall.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    yep- 32 laps (same as 64 lengths)- and agree, that is only if its a 25 METER pool.

you can likely do a bit more than 1 mile in 1 hour, unless you are going at a very leisurely pace.