Anti Depressants

Options
Do any other weight loss warriors out there take anti- depressants?

If so, what are you taking and do you find that it effects your weight loss?

Pam

Replies

• VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    I do. I'm not sure of the brand name because I have a generic but it's side effect is MAJOR weight gain. So I have to be super strict with how I eat and exercise just to maintain much less take any weight off. But the meds really help my moods and I am slowly progressing in weight loss :)

How about you?
  • grandsolike
    grandsolike Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been on effexor for a while now and I can't say it's made any difference to my weight, either losses or gains. I had hoped when I started it I would no longer be an emotional eater and the weight would drop off but it seems I over eat because I love food, not because I'm depressed. Bummer! :laugh:
    I think it has made it a bit easier to lose weight in that I feel more positive in general so I'm more inclined to make better food choices and less likely to sit at home all day.
    Even if it did make me put on weight though I would still take it, I'd rather be fat(ter) and happy than ever go back to being as depressed as I was.
  • pamelasusan
    pamelasusan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I do. I'm not sure of the brand name because I have a generic but it's side effect is MAJOR weight gain. So I have to be super strict with how I eat and exercise just to maintain much less take any weight off. But the meds really help my moods and I am slowly progressing in weight loss :)

How about you?

I have been on Wellbutrin for nearly 10 years now and added different ones over the years. Due to insurance I am having to weam off of Cymbalta, which is a whole other story. I am wondering if being off of Cymbalta will help.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have taked St Johns Wort which has helped me alot... :flowerforyou:

(:devil: + :cry:) + SJW = :wink:

Its natural and not full of chemicals and if it works then worth a go!!! :laugh: Also vitamin B tablets are a great mood picker-upperer!!! :laugh:

Just to mention that if your taking the pill, take SJW in the morning and Pill at night cause if you take them together SJW can affect the pill.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm on a generic for Prozac. I can't say it's affected my weight. I was fat before I started taking it and fat after. Actually I think NOT being depressed makes it easier for me to lose.
  • rymattsmom
    rymattsmom Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Now that i lost the weight (still some more to go) i am off my antidepressants for good! Thos positive hormones are really really helping from all the exercise!!!! Plus my dr told me to start vitamin d, and that has worked wonders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just a little something to look forward to as you lose wt!
  • GrandmaCarolyn
    Options
    After my dad died I went through some major depression and was put on Rx meds. After a year I had started gaining 5 pounds a month for no medical reason and I wasn't eating differently. THAT what was REALLY depressing. My metabosism had suddenly slowed. So I climbed into bed and pulled the covers over my head for 6 months. That only made it worse. The meds were only for about 6 weeks but it got me out of bed and making plans for the future. I went back to college & got a nursing degree.. It also enabled me to start dieting. When I was depressed I wasn't motivated to diet. The pill did helped me want to take care of myself and eat right as well as to be more active.
    I don't believe in taking homeopathic herbs etc because many are not safe and others are not safe to be taken with prescription meds. Ignorant people think homeopathic remedies are safe because they are natural; the truth is that everything is made up of chemicals and many natural occuring teas and substances are very harmful.. A case in point is Apricot seeds which contain arsenic. I know people who eat them a a homeopathic remedy.
  • grandsolike
    grandsolike Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in taking homeopathic herbs etc because many are not safe and others are not safe to be taken with prescription meds. Ignorant people think homeopathic remedies are safe because they are natural; the truth is that everything is made up of chemicals and many natural occuring teas and substances are very harmful.. A case in point is Apricot seeds which contain arsenic. I know people who eat them a a homeopathic remedy.

Well said!
    Just because something is 'natural' doesn't mean it's safe. Chances are it hasn't been tested in the same way that pharmaceutical drugs have so there's no way of knowing how it will affect you or interact with any other drugs you may be taking.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I've been on effexor for a while now and I can't say it's made any difference to my weight, either losses or gains. I had hoped when I started it I would no longer be an emotional eater and the weight would drop off but it seems I over eat because I love food, not because I'm depressed. Bummer! :laugh:
    I think it has made it a bit easier to lose weight in that I feel more positive in general so I'm more inclined to make better food choices and less likely to sit at home all day.
    Even if it did make me put on weight though I would still take it, I'd rather be fat(ter) and happy than ever go back to being as depressed as I was.

I was on Effexor too...I did not gain weight, but I did not lose any either...but then again, I was not trying too hard. LOL I had to switch because of cost but I really did do well on that one!
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I take antidepressants for anxiety. I gained tons of weight on Paxil CR, then was able to lose some by switching to Lexapro, but still had trouble losing. I weaned off Lex and lost more weight, but then decided to go back on meds after a couple of years and I'm taking Wellbutrin right now. It seems to really be helping me deal with anxiety and I've had no problem losing weight. In fact, weight loss is a common side effect of Wellbutrin.
  • pamelasusan
    pamelasusan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Paxil is a killer for weight gain........I hated it and it made me sweat something fierce!
  • loveusa
    Options
    I haven't taken this, but would if I had a prescription. Adderall is great for weight loss. Most of the time it's given to children, so it couldn't be that bad, but has a beneficial side effect for people wanting to lose weight. I don't think it's for depression per se though.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options

Well said!
    Just because something is 'natural' doesn't mean it's safe. Chances are it hasn't been tested in the same way that pharmaceutical drugs have so there's no way of knowing how it will affect you or interact with any other drugs you may be taking.

Thank you so for calling me ignorant. Its so easy for some people to throw around those words... not taking into account how hurtful they may sound.

I have tried this and it has been tested and it has been researched and shows that it can sometimes stop the pill being 100% effective. I think some people are ignorant of the fact that some prescription anti depressants are addictive.. and if they arent then you wont be able to function as well off them as on them...

I was not saying 'dont take prescription pills' just suggesting a possible alternative which has worked for me personally... the only side effect apart from being a lot happier in general was what i mentioned...

My sister is a Naturopath and she suggested i try them... SO DID MY DOCTOR... as i was afraid that if i took prescription anti Ds that I would never be able to NOT take them again... like my father and brother!

I was not at any point "dissing" your method.. so dont put mine down. I was simply suggesting a alternative to a cocktail of chemicals.

What ever you decide to try I would suggest getting professional advice from a DOCTOR before taking anything...
  • PrincessPudgy
    Options
    I'm taking lexapro. I dont know if it's affecting my weight yet. I gained 2 kilo's after I started taking them - but I also wasn't exercising and was eating badly. I went to the gym last week and lost 2 kg (4.4 pounds) in that week. So hopefully it wasn't the drugs. But I will see because I've been keeping under the calorie limit this week (but not exercise due to being sick with the flu). Hopefully I will get back into it next week and I'll see how my weightloss goes then.