scary prospect

Options
I'm a tiny 4 ft 10 inches tall, and eleven stone to lose to reach my ideal weight for my height. This is really scary. Its such a lot! I have never been the correct weight since I was about 11 years old, so I have no idea what I'll even look like :/
I know it's going to take a while, things lie this aren't instant, I just hope I reach my goal.

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared of it. Keep it simple, focus on smaller goals. To start focus on logging everything honestly and as accurately as you can. Start learning about nutrition, learn about portion control, and learn to have patience.

If you take this slow, its not scary but can be a fun time in your life as you start realizing all the amazing things your body can do.

Read this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck!
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You've started that's the first step. To make it to the end you need to make changes that you can live with for the long run. It's a marathon not a sprint. Don't give up the first time you go over your calories.
    The rules:
    1/ Log everything accurately
    2/ Eat at a deficit

If in doubt see point 1

You can do this
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you think you can do it, you will!!!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's overwhelming when you look at the total picture. When there's alot to lose, it can be daunting and frightening.

My advice is to break it up into smaller goals. Some goals not even scale related.

For example, losing 10 lbs in 2 months. Dropping a pants size. Dropping a shirt size. Losing 2 inches off the waist. Etc.
    If you want, you can even "reward" yourself for meeting specific goals you set. When I'd lost 30 lbs, I went and got my hair cut. Things like that.

Remember, it's alot of work, but you don't have to be miserable. Make sure you're getting enough food to keep you happy. If you want a chocolate, eat the friggin chocolate. Just make sure to log it. :)

Eventually it all becomes habit, and before you know it, you'll be well on your way.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'm a tiny 4 ft 10 inches tall, and eleven stone to lose to reach my ideal weight for my height. This is really scary. Its such a lot! I have never been the correct weight since I was about 11 years old, so I have no idea what I'll even look like :/
    I know it's going to take a while, things lie this aren't instant, I just hope I reach my goal.

What's scarier is not losing the weight and the potential health consequences. Don't think about the BIG number. Think about a short term goal. When you get there, think about the next short term goal. I started with almost 11 stone to lose (aka 150 lbs). That was on 6/14/13. Now I have 69 lbs. to lose. Still a big number, but much less than where I started. My next goal is 199 lbs, a number I haven't seen in almost 8 years. When I reach that goal, I'll set my next one.

And don't HOPE you can reach your goal, KNOW you can. Mind set can make a huge difference in your success.
  • roniredd
    Options
    Set small goals, make small changes. For example, instead of 3 slices of pizza, eat 2 ... Walk for 5 minutes, then 10 ....

Small changes will eventually lead to big ones.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Take a honest look at the way you have been eating up to now. Maybe log a formerly typical day to see how namy calories you used to eat. Then examine the diary looking for the easy changes you can make first. You don't have to change everything all at once. Start slowly with the excercise, too. It's possible that only a few things need to be changed.

Set yourself up for success by taking on one challenge at a time, then adding another and another. Take a picture of yourself now and your measurements. You will then have more ways to see your success besides just the number on the scale. When you start seeing the signs that you are moving in the right direction, you will be even more motivated to keep going and challenging yourself.
  • smileyd36
    Options
    I agree it is a really scary prospect, I've got 7st to lose - everyone has really good advice, smaller goals, realistic time frames, rewards but I can agree its daunting if you've never been a healthy weight, you've got nothing to go on (no smaller jeans or pictures) or visualise how this might look even when I start making small improvements (losses) and that's where I struggle, though I'm hoping lots of good advice and support here will help and remind us one lb at time.