Missing my Jack Daniel's!!

Options
So before I started MFP in July, I was drinking ALOT of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey. I love to drink it straight. I was consuming a 1.75L bottle in 3 days time. I put on alot of weight which is why I joined MFP. Anyway, after I joined in July I gave up alcohol and lost the weight. Well during Christmas the family does a gift exchange and in my gift was a very small bottle (sample size) of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey. I haven't drank it yet, but Im tempted to. :frown: Now for the past two days Iv been thinking about how I can start drinking again without gaining weight. Im going out of my mind here!! :explode: I know when I drank after work I didn't eat anything. Im thinking maybe I can drink my dinner calories instead or should I just continue to just stay away?

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Just fit it in to your calories and you'll be fine. Whenever I go on a Friday night bender I just make sure that I have leftover calories, and remind myself that with the alcohol comes some temporary water weight.

Rigger
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    An important question to ask yourself is: is it just the calories you're worried about, or the behavior with the alcohol? I'm not saying you have a problem with it, just asking. You know yourself. I usually advise people to remain abstient from their personal "trigger foods" and practice moderation with everything else, but alcohol adds an extra dimension to that issue because it, in and of itself, can be an addictive substance.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is - do YOU feel that drinking alcohol is a safe behavior for you in general (i.e., beyond the calories)? If you feel it's safe, then perhaps it's time to start building a healthy relationship with it and learn to drink in moderation. If you don't feel it's safe, I'd highly advise to remain abstinent and continue to enjoy your healthy success.

Just my two cents.
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits your macros it should not be a problem, just make sure you maintain your good judgement. October 2012 I was doing great then I went to a bar to watch the Giants in the world series. Game went to the tenth Giants win the series all of a sudden I'm doing shots and holding a bag of pork rinds in my hand. I chalked it up to a one time thing but it did make the next days workout a bit rough.
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    I should add that if you feel drinking alcohol is a safe behavior for you, then I agree with navyrigger - just budget in the drink calories and have fun! :D My personal fave is long islands with chambord. And usually when I'm drinking it's late with friends so I can "scoot" my 2nd or 3rd drink over to the following day, then when I sleep in I've already skipped a couple meals and the cals from the drinks just "replace" those meals, lol. It's the perfect plan.
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    As long as it fits your macros it should not be a problem, just make sure you maintain your good judgement. October 2012 I was doing great then I went to a bar to watch the Giants in the world series. Game went to the tenth Giants win the series all of a sudden I'm doing shots and holding a bag of pork rinds in my hand. I chalked it up to a one time thing but it did make the next days workout a bit rough.

This is a really good point. Some people tend to eat too much while they drink. Gotta watch that 'cause it'll get ya.
  • sld4063
    sld4063 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I keep my drinking to Saturdays only which is my cheat day :) I think if you pick 1 or maybe 2 days that you can drink on it would help- be strict though and don't allow yourself to drink on the other days. Drinking generally makes me bloat and make bad food choices so it can be a slippery slope.
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, lots of good advise. I am afraid if I start drinking hard liquor again I will go back to old habits. When I do drink heavy liquor its always at home. I like the taste, but it's the buzz that I love. Maybe I will just try once a week & if I feel like Im slipping back into old habits then I will just stop.

Thanks again for the replies.

~Sharon~
  • EvaStrange
    EvaStrange Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    How about switching to a more expensive brand of whisk(e)y and drinking no more than 1.5/2 ounces a day of that? That would be little more than a 100 cal snack. :drinker:
  • EvilShenanigansTX
    EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have had to seriously limit my alcohol intake because when I drink I snack. And, I underreport those snacks and I gain weight. Nasty cycle for me.

I think if you can have a drink and stay in your calories you are fine. I know that after a second drink I will start to make bad food choices, so I limit myself to two on the days I choose to indulge. Works for me.

Good luck!
  • SharonCMach
    Options
    How about switching to a more expensive brand of whisk(e)y and drinking no more than 1.5/2 ounces a day of that? That would be little more than a 100 cal snack. :drinker:

Haha...I did that. After a couple months of drinking the Tennessee Honey I switched to Maker's Mark cause it was 90 proof and I didn't have to drink as much, lol. :drinker:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's 108 calories per 1.5ounce shot. You decide. :-)
    If you can limit yourself to 2 AND eat dinner, perhaps it's fine.
    But if you're talking about "drinking" your dinner? How is that fueling your body?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Moderation and fit it into your day...but probably not every day. I have been known to throw some back and fairly recently joined a group called Moderation Management. Basically I keep a schedule and diary now...I allow myself 3 drinking days per week and require myself to have 4 dry days and allow myself 12-14 drinks per week. I try to keep it to no more than 4 drinks per "session"...but sometimes a Saturday night gets the best of me...often 6-7 on a good Saturday night.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Haha...I did that. After a couple months of drinking the Tennessee Honey I switched to Maker's Mark cause it was 90 proof and I didn't have to drink as much, lol. :drinker:

There is a lot of sugar/carbs in the honey flavored. Bourbon is my drink of choice, zero carbs and not too high in calories per serving. You just gotta moderate and count it in your calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

There is a lot of sugar/carbs in the honey flavored. Bourbon is my drink of choice, zero carbs and not too high in calories per serving. You just gotta moderate and count it in your calories.
    According to the nutrient info there's no sugar and 6 carbs.
  • SharonCMach
    Options
    But if you're talking about "drinking" your dinner? How is that fueling your body?

It's not fueling my body, lol, it's just fun & makes me feel good. :laugh:
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

One of the links I saw said 6g of sugar. If that is wrong, then I wonder how they make it sweet? Honey has sugar in it. Knowing JD they don't use real honey and use some flavored crap instead.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

One of the links I saw said 6g of sugar. If that is wrong, then I wonder how they make it sweet? Honey has sugar in it. Knowing JD they don't use real honey and use some flavored crap instead.
    Dunno. I looked on MFP so God knows it could be wrong. Still, six grams of sugar? Heck, many ketchups have more than that.
    (Not advocating it, since I try to avoid added sugars...just saying)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

It's not fueling my body, lol, it's just fun & makes me feel good. :laugh:
    Yup. And as long as you're not substituting the foods that DO fuel your body with it, and you don't have other issues, go for it. I drink wine most nights, in lieu of dessert.