Is this allright?

Options
For my 1200 cal per day goal this is an example of a day for me:

Breakfast - An apple, or a banana, or an orange (aprox. 100 cal)
Lunch - Half plate with salad (carrot, lettuce, sometimes corn...), one spoon of rice and a piece of meat or fish (aprox. 500 cal).
Snack - Like breakfast (aprox. 100 cal)
Dinner - Like lunch (aprox. 500 cal)

I workout 4 times per week.
I never feel hungry.

Be advised that I'm Portuguese, and I think our eating habits are much different from American and Brithis ones. We usually don't eat much at breakfast and we eat much more at lunch and dinner.
My question is, am I going to loose weight eating like this?

Replies

• pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    For my 1200 cal per day goal this is an example of a day for me:

Breakfast - An apple, or a banana, or an orange (aprox. 100 cal)
    Lunch - Half plate with salad (carrot, lettuce, sometimes corn...), one spoon of rice and a piece of meat or fish (aprox. 500 cal).
    Snack - Like breakfast (aprox. 100 cal)
    Dinner - Like lunch (aprox. 500 cal)

I workout 4 times per week.
    I never feel hungry.

Be advised that I'm Portuguese, and I think our eating habits are much different from American and Brithis ones. We usually don't eat much at breakfast and we eat much more at lunch and dinner.
    My question is, am I going to loose weight eating like this?

no, this isn't a good plan.

a better plan would be to properly measure your food with a scale. you can get a cheap digital one that folds for storage on amazon in europe.

and by the way, I have not eaten breakfast for one year now. no worries there.
  • manu427
    manu427 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for the answer.
    I don't have the time to measure my food. In spite of doing that I allways overcount the calories... Like, sometimes I know that what I ate is like 20 grams ( 0.044 lb I think) but I put 100 grams (0.22 lb) and I put less on the calories burned in workouts.

Before starting to do this I used to eat something like this:

Breakfast - 3/4 portions of cereals (about 615 cal)
    Lunch - No salad, half plate with rice, and the other half with meat and then I would eat that all again.
    Snack - Like breakfast
    Dinner - Like lunch

And I would never exercise.
    So I hope this will make som difference.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Thanks for the answer.
    I don't have the time to measure my food. In spite of doing that I allways overcount the calories... Like, sometimes I know that what I ate is like 20 grams ( 0.044 lb I think) but I put 100 grams (0.22 lb) and I put less on the calories burned in workouts.

Lunch - No salad, half plate with rice, and the other half with meat and then I would eat that all again.
    Snack - Like breakfast
    Dinner - Like lunch

well, you just have to decide. do you have time to get creative and figure out a way to fit weighing your food into your life? lots of people do it with very busy lives, so there are many time saving tricks you can use.

the question you need to answer first is "am I serious about losing weight?". If you are serious, you will find a way to do what it takes.
  • manu427
    Options
    Thanks for the answer.

Snack - Like breakfast
    Dinner - Like lunch

well, you just have to decide. do you have time to get creative and figure out a way to fit weighing your food into your life? lots of people do it with very busy lives, so there are many time saving tricks you can use.

the question you need to answer first is "am I serious about losing weight?". If you are serious, you will find a way to do what it takes.

Yes I'm serious. I only need to loose 5 kg (10 lb).
    I'm a little ceptic about the food measurements make such a difference.
    But I'll see, I'll give it some time and if this doesn't work I'll try to follow your advises.
    Thanks
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Thanks for the answer.

Snack - Like breakfast
    Dinner - Like lunch

But I'll see, I'll give it some time and if this doesn't work I'll try to follow your advises.
    Thanks

Look at my profile pictures if you have any doubts.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you eat less calories than you burn you WILL lose weight...

personally i would get very bored very quickly eating just fruit and salad all day every day...

plus with only 10lbs to lose you probably want to focus more on losing bodyfat than just losing weight, which is where exercise comes in...
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    With so little weight to lose its even more important to weigh and measure your food. The margin for error is so small and you only need to be a few calories over on every ingredient to completely obliterate any deficit you might have.

I thought weighing and measuring would be a lot of hassle but it really isn't - it adds a couple of minutes to a meal preparation and that is all.
  • manu427
    Options
    Thanks for the answer.

Snack - Like breakfast
    Dinner - Like lunch

Thanks

Impressive.
  • manu427
    Options

personally i would get very bored very quickly eating just fruit and salad all day every day...

plus with only 10lbs to lose you probably want to focus more on losing bodyfat than just losing weight, which is where exercise comes in...
    Yes, my goal is to loose body fat. I'm making a lot more exercise than I used to do.
    I didn't know that but it appears that now i gave it a chance I love fruit and salad and I don't get bored.
    Thanks.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Where's the fat?!? You need fat for health.

You also don't eat a lot of protein....or many vegies. Or much of anything! I'd personally be trying to eat as much as possible to reach my goal. If you don't need to restrict that much, don't!
  • manu427
    Options
    With so little weight to lose its even more important to weigh and measure your food. The margin for error is so small and you only need to be a few calories over on every ingredient to completely obliterate any deficit you might have.

I thought weighing and measuring would be a lot of hassle but it really isn't - it adds a couple of minutes to a meal preparation and that is all.

Thanks, if my new eating style stops showing results I will try the measurements.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Yes, my goal is to loose body fat. I'm making a lot more exercise than I used to do.
    I didn't know that but it appears that now i gave it a chance I love fruit and salad and I don't get bored.
    Thanks.

with only 10lbs to lose, you should set MFP to lose 0.5lb per week and ensure you get plenty of protein so that you arent losing LBM... doing resistance/strength training will help as well... if you are just interested in losing bodyfat, i wouldnt worry about the number on the scales, go by pictrues/measurements.
  • manu427
    Options

You also don't eat a lot of protein....or many vegies. Or much of anything! I'd personally be trying to eat as much as possible to reach my goal. If you don't need to restrict that much, don't!

What foods do you advise adding?
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answer.

Snack - Like breakfast
    Dinner - Like lunch

Thanks

Haha...I am...lol....
  • manu427
    Options

Thanks.

with only 10lbs to lose, you should set MFP to lose 0.5lb per week and ensure you get plenty of protein so that you arent losing LBM... doing resistance/strength training will help as well... if you are just interested in losing bodyfat, i wouldnt worry about the number on the scales, go by pictrues/measurements.

I already set MFP to loose 0.5 lb per week.
    What is LBM?
    What sould I add to get more protein?
    And I will follow your advise of don't worry with the scale.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I already set MFP to loose 0.5 lb per week.
    What is LBM?
    What sould I add to get more protein?
    And I will follow your advise of don't worry with the scale.

what are your starting stats if you dont mind me asking? its very rare that MFP would give you a goal of 1200 cals for only 0.5lbs loss per week?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

What foods do you advise adding?

Slice your apple and spread nut butter on it, use EVOO as part of salad dressing for salads, or cook your vegies in ghee/butter. Swap one of your snacks for, perhaps HB eggs with vegie sticks, or a small tin of tuna in oil with vegie sticks. Increase the size of your salads - weigh your food, you're likely to find you can eat more salad and vegies than you think.
  • justinproulx1
    Options
    not trying to be rude, but just honest no its absolotely horrible plan
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Thanks for the answer.

Snack - Like breakfast
    Dinner - Like lunch

Thanks

Haha...I am...lol....

well gee, thanks for laughing at my progress! I thought I was doing pretty good until that. :(

;)
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    not trying to be rude, but just honest no its absolotely horrible plan

Yup.