How do you "dress up" your brown rice?

Options

Replies

• Ellealie
    Ellealie Posts: 17
    Options
    I miss brown rice! I love the texture of it. I can't eat it right now because I'm low carbing it. Anyway, one "sauce" I like to make for a variety of things (especially broccoli, yum!) is this:

- soy sauce (low sodium preferably)
    - rice wine vinegar (unseasoned)
    - sesame oil
    - red pepper flakes

For one serving I usually use less than a teaspoon of each or less of the liquids. Usually I just drizzle some of each on and don't bother with measuring it. When I have measured by teaspoon, it's a bit too much. Sprinkle the red pepper flakes on to taste. You could also add some green onions, maybe even ginger or cilantro.
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    bump for some great ideas!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    make fried rice just use brown instead
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just add a little fat free salad dressing to mix in.
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Teriyaki sauce is usually surprisingly low in sodium/calories etc. You can also try adding a little siracha sauce (a hot chili sauce); just know that it has 100mg sodium per teaspoon, but then again, a teaspoon is MORE than enough because this stuff is HOT.

You could try a low sodium soy sauce, but most of the low sodium soy sauces I've seen still have 500mg or so :(

Personally I usually only have brown rice if I'm having a one dish meal, ie rice, meat and veggies in a bowl.
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I eat it plain. Prepared correctly, brown rice has a natural nutty sweetness. As my goal usually is to reduce calories, not increase them, I'm happy if there's a healthy food I can eat as is. My philosophy is, Why would I want to bother exploring interesting toppings that are going to increase calories, especially right now?

That's true but if you add vegetables, these are GOOD FOR YOU and don't add a lot of calories. But do add lots of vitamins, nutrients, etc.
  • sienasmomma
    Options
    Spicy kimchi and scrambled eggs...yum!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I don't really do "sauces", I dress mine up with herbs and stuff. Usually I dress my brown rice with garlic, parsley, and a hint of olive oil (1 tsp) and some chopped sauted onions.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    There's some fantastic ideas here!

If I'm cooking it "on its own", then I either boil it in stock (chicken or vegetable, usually) or I add a couple of clove buds and cardomon pods per serving. The latter works really well with curries. Both taste really nice on their own if you add some chopped veg and/or meat in at the end.
  • justinproulx1
    Options
    everyone saying broth that sounds good and all, but isnt broth like loaded with sodium? i need help on my bown rice its awful
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I either boil it in stock or I add pepper, chili powder and sometimes herbs to it. Mostly I end up mixing it with veg and either meat or fish (and sometimes salad cream, but I know that is not a common thing).
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    everyone saying broth that sounds good and all, but isnt broth like loaded with sodium? i need help on my bown rice its awful

There tends to be a fair amount of sodium yes, but as with anything else you can adjust what else you eat to compensate.
  • dixielawgirl
    dixielawgirl Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    some options:

cook it in broth

add lime juice, cilantro & a little evoo

add in butter, sauteed onions & broccoli (delish!)

add in salsa
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I prefer a skirt and heels, but I'll take some hot sauce in a bind.
  • harminzer
    Options
    A shirt and tie. Heeeeeee
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I made homemade sundried tomato hummus and mixed that in wil my rice and dipped my veggies in it omg so good

This sounds yummy! I put curry sauce on black rice, and it is delicious.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

There tends to be a fair amount of sodium yes, but as with anything else you can adjust what else you eat to compensate.

Some broths are, yes. But if you spend a little bit more and get the better quality broths and stocks that are unsalted, you can cut the sodium a lot.
  • kinzieplatt
    kinzieplatt Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I throw in some vegetables sometimes but i ALWAYS throw a chicken bouillon cube in the water while its boiling! Delicious!
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    You can't dress it until you clean it first.

Takes a long damn time to make brown rice nice and white.